• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forearm Discs

Big Nasty

Birdie Member
hey i was hoping anyone can rattle off a few forarm friendly discs on the market. I currntly use a 171 Star Valk for my forearm drives. On a side note, im also trying to find a driver that will fly like my kc pro Whippet, i been using this for my backhand drives. thank you

forearm i started with the discraft crush, which is a great forearm disc, when i started overpowering that i moved up to the force, which is my primary forearm disc, keep in mind i still drive mainly backhand, but the force is great for me, if your an innova fan the wraith works extremely well

+10 on the wraith. It's not so overstable that it's a pig and glides great for long turnovers. I also throw orcs and they are very comprable to wraiths.

rooneytunes said:
+10 on the wraith. It's not so overstable that it's a pig and glides great for long turnovers. I also throw orcs and they are very comprable to wraiths.

are these for forearm?

Ive only been playin a year so im not an expert.... but i throw forehand pretty well (i can max d a 168 star firebird like 400+). When i drive forehand i throw Star FireBirds for shorter left to right holes, a beat Star Wraith for straight(1st disc and learded to throw forehand with it), a Champion Wraith for long left to right. For forehand up shots i throw Star FireBirds, KC Rocs, and the occasional stiff Super Soft Wizard (Wizard is really only a trick disc for my FH).

I cant throw Orcs forehand but they do compare well to Wraiths as far as backhand goes so they would probably work pretty well. So if they feel better in your hand go with it.

Hope this helps...

Big Nasty said:
hey i was hoping anyone can rattle off a few forarm friendly discs on the market. I currntly use a 171 Star Valk for my forearm drives. On a side note, im also trying to find a driver that will fly like my kc pro Whippet, i been using this for my backhand drives. thank you

First of all, there are no forehand and backhand discs, only discs. A good rhfh flight should look just like a good lhbh flight. Many of the discs usually recommended as good "forehand" discs mask form errors and teach you to throw hard and turned over, depending on the disc for control instead of controlling it yourself. I like your Star Valk...that disc is going to teach you control and touch. Many decent forehand dominant players cannot throw a straight shot because they never learned to throw a straight disc with touch. Keep that disc and work on being very smooth with it. Along with that I would add a fast power hyzer disc. There are probably around 10 good ones to choose from, and this will be much better than the Valk or Whippet for hyzers, skip shots, and in wind.

Due to the Coriolis effect I find my forehands appear to rotate faster in the northern hemisphere and my backhands faster in the southern hemisphere. Despite this..distance is the same. For comparison, my throw is similar to a small Japanese women throwing a 180 maximizer for the first time.

discspeed said:
I like your Star Valk...that disc is going to teach you control and touch... Along with that I would add a fast power hyzer disc. There are probably around 10 good ones to choose from, and this will be much better than the Valk or Whippet for hyzers, skip shots, and in wind.

i been rocking a Valk for a few years now, i used to use a pro model but when the star line came out i switched to that. can u name some of these fast power hyzer disc plz

I say stay with the valk if it's working. I used to be forehand dominate (had shoulder problems so switched to backhand) and my main forehand distance drivers were a champ valk and z/esp surges. I still throw surges b/c they are awesome.

but, like others have said there aren't forehand specific discs so experiment and use what works. also, if you want a sweet overstable disc then you should get a domey z predator b/c they are a magnificent disc.

Big Nasty said:
discspeed said:
I like your Star Valk...that disc is going to teach you control and touch... Along with that I would add a fast power hyzer disc. There are probably around 10 good ones to choose from, and this will be much better than the Valk or Whippet for hyzers, skip shots, and in wind.

i been rocking a Valk for a few years now, i used to use a pro model but when the star line came out i switched to that. can u name some of these fast power hyzer disc plz

Boss, Force, Xcaliber, Destroyer, Teerex, Max, Flick, Spirit, and PD to name a few. The Boss is the fastest and goes the farthest, but some people have trouble controlling them. The Max, Flick, and Spirit are the most overstable/predictable. Its all about what feels good in your hand and comes out the cleanest.

well how bout that, i picked up a Destroyer today before i read that post...guess it was ment to be lol. i really like how it flew, just needs to be broken in some

I would expect you end up loving the destroyer. I prefer star destroyers the most, and at 172g, it has been my max distance driver in a distance contest/along with a beat esp force(450-495ft.), and also a predictable and controllable forehand driver for right to left flicks, fairly straight long distance shots (350-450), and some hyzers, although now that I am trying a firebird, it is perfect for the hyzer shot. Used to use the discraft flick for the hyzer shots, but it is usually too fast and very hard to get just right, with a huuuuge skip at the end. Bottom line, you will be able to get a great deal of distance, and work almost every line flicking a destroyer, if you get it spinning fast enough. If you are not throwing 350+ easily forehand, then disregard what I just said, because that would change the disc you should be throwing to perhaps an orc or surge.

Ditto on the Destroyer. I used to throw FH a lot but then played pretty much exclusively BH in order to work on developing good form. I recently found a Star XCal and it's been working great for me for big FH hyzers. I'll reach for one of my Wraiths if I want the shot to be straighter or perhaps turn a bit. I've had good success flicking my Strikers as well.

When I first started throwing sidearm I preferred the wide wing discs (Crush, ect.). They gripped and released better for me at that stage. Now I can sidearm anything in my bag comfortably, I've been getting some great touch sidearms with Buzzzs and Comets.

As many have already said, any disc can be used equally well for forehand and backhand. It depends on your form and cleanliness of release.

Star Valk is a great disc to use for any kind of throwing style. On standard clean FH throws from the tee I typically use a lighter weight (164 g) Star Wraith for tunnels or for long straight glides. One other disc that I have had a good time throwing forehand for straight shots with little fade at the end is the Banshee (though get a smooth plastic version of this, if you try one...the stickier plastics don't release very smoothly past the fingers for FH). If my FH game is on strong and I'm getting a good snap and clean release (note that I don't feel any effort in throwing when my form is firing well) I really like to throw the Destroyer.

All that being said, I still keep a Champion Boss (with the thick rim and strong plastic, it never seems to beat in and is very consistent) for times I want to muscle a big anhyzer turn with some air under it, since it'll flip back flat eventually (after the turn) and glide for a good distance. Also great for monstrous skips. But I wouldn't recommend this for you yet until you get your primary throwing style working properly. These crazy over-powered turnover throws are hard to control and may mess with your form if you rely on them too much.