• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FOREHAND hyzer flips?

disc_noobee

Was looking for a little info about throwing a hyzer-flip RHFH. Did a boatload of Googling, and didn't find anything regarding this throw. I have 9 speed RHBH power, throwing around 280' or so, hyzerflipping understable molds (Sidewinder, Archangel, occasional River). When throwing a Pro Beast (10 speed) RHFH flat, I can get an occasional S curve, 320' toss, but only with a tailwind.

What I'm looking for is release angle for a RHFH hyzer flip. Would I be correct to assume that since the disc spin is reversed, I need to release the disc on an Anhyzer, as shown at the bottom of this pic?
search

Seems most of the time, if I release the disc on a RHFH hyzer, it never seems to flatten out, and stays pretty much on a hyzer line.

What type of mold is recommended for the RHFH hyzer-flip? Should I stick with something understable, stable, or slightly overstable?

Any info, videos, or disc suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance peeps

I can't see your picture...but hyzer would be the outer edge of the disc below horizontal (angled toward the direction the disc wants to fade, be it forehand or backhand).

Discs act basically the same forehand and backhand when you have clean form. Generally I think discs will turn slightly easier forehand but it's actually pretty similar. Getting a hyzer flip forehand ~300' with a Sidewinder or Beast should be doable with consistency I'd think.

Basically think of hyzer/anhyzer as slight modifications of a flat release. Throw your Sidewinder dead flat forehand, does it track to the left for RHFH throw? If so then angle the outer wing down a little bit and hyzer flip it up to flat for a straight throw...play with the angles until you see how it flies for you. If the Sidewinder is too understable and turns too much then the Beast is a nice step up, but it may not show as much turn as you'd like until it works in a little bit. Basically throw all of your discs forehand and see how the flights compare to your backhand...should be relatively the same but a mirror image.

The thing to remember is that understable/stable/slightly overstable all depend on how hard you throw. So your Sidewinder may be slightly understable at 280' backhand but significantly understable at 320' forehand for you.

The amount of hyzer depends on the disc really. I've seen a lot of people rolling their wrist either over or under when throwing forehand and that puts a lot of weird OAT on it.

If you want to get better at it, the first step is making sure you have a clean forehand to begin with. Take your most neutral disc (very straight, holds both hyzer and anhyzer) out to the field and start practicing making it go just straight. Then get out your understable disc, sidewinder in this situation, and throw it the same. It should turn as it normally would. Then start experimenting with dropping down the outside edge a little until you find the right amount of hyzer for a nice flip to flat, flip to turn, flip almost to flat but still mostly hyzer flights and your set.

FH and BH hyzer flips are exactly the same thing technique wise.

OP can you FH hyzer flip slow US mids/putters? Id start there if drivers are holding the hyzer release it is bc they are too fast/OS or HSS.

Last edited:
visualize a clock, where RHFH flat release is the hour hand @ 3:00. a good starting point for RHFH hyzer-flip is between 3:00-4:00, disc dependent.

try a fresh X-Comet or DX Leopard at a 3:15-3:30 release. keep the nose down, and manipulate your power from this release angle to see different flights.

Last edited:
Hyzer means outer edge down. So for RHBH that means the left edge is lower (when looking from the back). So it might be obvious, but a RHBH hyzer will go left, and a RHFH hyzer will go right. For RHFH that means right edge is lower. When you say it "stays hyzer" does that mean the left edge stays down and it goes to the left?

We use the term hyzer flip because it starts with that outer edge down but then it "flips up" to fly flat. Don't get this confused with a "flex shot," where you release with anhyzer and then the disc fights back without getting much straight flight.

I echo what the other guys said. The Beast or Sidewinder ought to work fine for hyzer flips. Maybe learning with something a little slower would be good too... but the main thing is just learning smooth form. Then hyzers, hyzer flips, etc. become natural.

I personally would start a bit slower than Sidewinder or Beast. A River would probably be the best for getting the technique down. Basically start with a slow disc and work up in speed until you get to the faster discs.

OP, it depends upon what you are trying to do. You can hyzerflip any disc, but the end result of where you want the disc to be is what determines the best disc to use.
For example, a Champ Wraith is a great sidearm disc for hyzerflipping if your intent is to have the disc go mostly straight then a fade to the right (RHFH). If you're trying to have your disc turnover and go left, a Roadrunner is an example of one of many discs that can be hyzerflipped to pop up flat, go straight for a little bit, then start turning over and going left, and possibly having a little bit of fade back to the right at the end.
Either way, it takes a considerable amount of time, patience and practice.

Any info, videos, or disc suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance peeps

armiller & slowplastic are spot on. A hyzer flip RHFH is a mirror image of a hyzer flip RHBH. You'll need a disc that flies under stable for your FH power/form. If you can get your hands on a pro Leopard that's a little beat in it should flip easily at your power level.

As far as videos, Big Jerm has a good FH hyzer flip. Just bear in mind that he has a lot of power in his FH, so you won't necessarily be able to use the same discs he does.

The main factor if you flip a disc or not are two things. Well of course not mentioning flip from too much wobble or unclean release.

1: is it understable?
2: do you get it to the required speed?

If you get the same disc to the same speed, it will flip no matter if oyu throw it backhand or forehand.

The main problem with flipping forehand is also twofold.

1: Most people have a weaker forehand than backhand
2: Most people have worse form with forehand

I would learn the same way as I learned with a backhand. Start with putters till you can control them. Then go up in speed.

Another point on FH hyzer flips is that (this may just be for me) it's easier to throw anhyzer angles than hyzer angles FH.

As others have mentioned, thinking about the RHFH release angle on a clock, the true flat/neutral release is at 3 o'clock. A 6 o'clock release would is straight underhand (sort of like bowling) and a 12 o'clock release is overhand (this is a tomahawk).

I feel like I can easily hit any angle between 12 and 3 o'clock with close to full power. However, for workable hyzer flip angles (3:15 - 4 o'clock or so) don't feel as natural for me. It took some work to get a clean powerful snap on those release angles.

A 6 o'clock release would is straight underhand (sort of like bowling).
Bingo! It's quite similar FH or BH. Funny I was watching some bowling on TV yesterday admiring their technique and how the ball rolls similar to a golf disc flying transitioning from highly inertial to highly viscous.

the main thing to bear in mind with the clock approach is nose down through your release angle. one reason for persistent hyzering is nose up.

the second main thing when RHFH-flipping is your body positioning. your shoulder tilt should match the release angle of the wrist. this helps keep the arm/elbow close to your side, which loads the forearm (snap muscle) and prevents wrist roll.

the third main thing is to focus all your body momentum into your hip snap. literally thrust your right hip to the target at your hit point. this will help with power and finishing facing your line.

If you can get your hands on a pro Leopard that's a little beat in it should flip easily at your power level.

my thoughts exactly, however I revised to fresh DX for the sake of availability & break-in time.