• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Technique: control 300' in the woods

Hey everybody looking for those who throw primarily forehand,

I want advice on how to create good torque on throwing a midrange forehand. I do pretty well for myself with a Buzzz OS on shots 250' and in. I wanna be able to touch the 300' range with a mid forehand. Ideally, in woods courses where i can focus on more accuracy where as a backhand can be difficult if the hole has a small teebox and favors RHBH lines (im a lefty so LHFH routes are needed on some back hand friendly holes). Any suggestions on how to get more zip on my forehands with a mid? i have had days in the past where i have thrown Buzzzes and roc3's forehand experimenting. Both seem to be very touchy in the wind especially a roc3 which glides alot with forehand IMO.

Answers are appreciated!

My forehand is absolutely atrocious, so I would also be interested in any good videos that people can link specific to forehand.

Thanks!

It's hard to get enough spin on a FH to throw a mid over 250 with much control.

I personally forehand about 80% of my shots. I get a lot cleaner release with a zone than I do any mid. I typically pump them out to 275', sometimes 300' if I really heave it. I have a beat up zone that I can throw dead straight. however, for the type of shot you are talking about, 300' straight in the woods, possibly with a low ceiling, I'd probably pull out a thunderbird.

as far as technique, this may not help much, but what has worked for me is maximizing spin and getting a clean release. I taught myself to throw forehand and it came from a lot of practice, throwing small rimmed, straight drivers and gradually powering them up. Now when I really want to let one loose, I can get a Destroyer up to 425' or so

I would disc up to a fairway driver, something like a patriot or teebird are perfect for a tight window shot at 300' feet. For me if I want to throw a mid at that range I either need a fair amount of height or an open left side of the fairway. Even with flawless form I would expect a mid to turn over no matter how steep of a hyzer angle I release it at when throwing for 300 ft.

That being said don't let my opinion discourage you. Best advice I could give is to get something flippy like a Gauge and work on your hyzer flips. That disc hands down is the farthest flying mid in my bag.

For me, (not an expert, but owner of a decent forehand) this is a shot for my beat up Z Predator.

Ever tried a Hornet? I haven't actually thrown a Buzzz OS, but I have a 175 Hornet that has sneaky distance and might work if you really want a mid. Lately, though, it's fallen out of favor for me, mainly because I prefer the feel of my Firebird and Predator for forehand.

It's hard to get enough spin on a FH to throw a mid over 250 with much control.

This.

I've given up on trying to power up a mid to 300. Grab a slightly understable fairway and throw a controlled hyzerflip at 70-80%. I like the gstar leopard or f7 for this shot.

I agree with the others. I'll usually just disc up to a fairway for this shot. About 70% of my shots are forehands but for me a mid over 275' is unreliable for these tight shots. I will flick a Buzzz for most anything under 275' and I'll throw it on hyzer at 60-70% power for a nice hyzer-flip.

Here's some videos from some guys who throw 400 times better than me:

Wysocki -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20__DyaElY

Koling -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NRd5SuT4ow

Latest posts