• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand with Buzzz?

MNTreekiller

I have had trouble recently where i am turning my Elite Z buzz over easily when throwing side arm. it is a relatively new buzz, so wear on the disc is not a factor. It flips after flying a little ways (not right out of my hands)which leads me to believe its the disc and not my form. Is this a correct assumption? If this disc is too under stable what would be some suggestions, i use sidearm only under 250 feet. I don't have a ton of power with it. I was thinking something like a gazelle...? Thanks for any input.

99% of the time in a situation like this it is user error. I am no pro but flick Aviars 250, and An old ESP Buzzz 275 with a nice straight line that fades right from a right handed throw. I throw pretty slow on putter and mid flicks. I have a friend who plays primarily sidearm who can flick a comet 320. I am a firm believer if you have to ask it isn't the equipment.

Unless you only have one buzzz that is flipping, and other buzzz's that are flying the right path - then I'd say something is amiss with the form. I've had pro-d plastic that takes a hard enough shot that it's become a roller only disc, but never with z plastic.

I throw Buzzzes forehand all the time. If they flip over on me, it's because I threw it poorly. I have found that, compared to throwing drivers RHFH, I have to use less arm and more wrist to get a nice clean flight.

Yep, I doubt it's the disc. I can forehand beat Buzzzes and Comets up to 250 so I don't see how a fresh Buzzz could turn over on its own unless you're doing something.

FYI if you torque the disc it will flip after flying a ways, as you describe. Make sure to keep everything on the same plane at the release (shoulders, follow through, palm, etc) and you can iron things out.

I completely avoid mids and putters forehand. Why completely change my grip, when I can throw a Flick from 100'-300' and park it?

It's all about creating that hyzer angle with your wrist and/or lowered arm angle/slot when side arming a putter or under stable mid. You can do nice anny line/turnover shots too with neutral to under stable discs but it's touchy.

It's a lot easier to flick a firebird drone gator OS driver because you can release with that nose up anny angle and torque it and it won't turn over.

What I noticed is that when you properly flick a putter you don't really feel it - like a great swing/hit in baseball.

I also wouldn't be shy of using a more OS/reliable disc for forehand as well...flicking a Buzzz up to 250' (and some of you do that further) is really good sounding to me. But for me, as a primarily RHBH thrower, if I use a FH it's 90% of the time because I want it to end right/not go left. So I just increase the odds by using a disc that will do that. I'm not meaning you have to go from a Buzzz up to an XCal or Flick or something, but a disc that can handle FH more easily.

Forehand has a different spin to speed ratio on the throw compared to backhand, so discs tend to be more finicky for flipping. Of course testimony in here of long Buzzz/Comet flicks shows it's possible to still be smooth enough. But for me, if I want a 300' straight mid throw, I'm backhanding it.

Edit: Disc suggestions maybe something like a Champ Teebird or Discmania PD should give you pretty straight forehands while not being crazy OS/flair like...if you're willing to go up in speed that much. I'm sure others who flick more have more suggestions. Firebird is reliable but very OS (I love it for FH though). Gator for a mid is likely a good option, as someone mentioned.

Last edited:
as a primarily RHBH thrower, if I use a FH it's 90% of the time because I want it to end right/not go left.

This can be really dependent on the kinds of courses you play. On tightly wooded courses, the choice to use forehand or backhand is often about getting a favorable release point than it is about direction of fade.

I've actually found the Buzzz to be a pretty versatile disc for flick approaches, particularly when you don't need a whole lot of fade. It does take some practice to get the angling down when you're dealing with wind and getting around obstacles.

This can be really dependent on the kinds of courses you play. On tightly wooded courses, the choice to use forehand or backhand is often about getting a favorable release point than it is about direction of fade.

^^^Bingo! Reach-out forehands (and step-out backhands) are ridiculously useful in the woods.

Buzzz (and Truth, which is similar) have a nicely-shaped rim that (for me, anyway) yields a clean sidearm release.

^^^Bingo! Reach-out forehands (and step-out backhands) are ridiculously useful in the woods.

Buzzz (and Truth, which is similar) have a nicely-shaped rim that (for me, anyway) yields a clean sidearm release.

step out flicks and straddle putting around trees are wooded course utility shots 101. ;)

the local professional players do these step out flicks that really are a sight to behold... a lot of the time its anny line slight turnovers stepping out behind a tree using something like an Atlas or Nova and it just floats then sits right at the pin (so its a semi run/approach).

also there are times where you want to avoid cut rolls on anny shots because there might be a cliff hill, so you want to come in with a natural hyzer/spin using a flick.

whats weird is how hard it seems to flick under stable discs, but then you watch Ultimate players play and they're hucking those totally under stable lids 200ft no problem.

As a Buzzz guy I go with my Buzzz OS for forehand shots. More torque resistant than a Buzzz.

My Buzzz lineup is:
beat Buzzz pro D 175
Buzzz Ti 179
Buzzz SS Z 175
Buzzz OS Z 175

How well the buzzz handles forehand is why I put it back in the bag over aftershocks. I can forehand it nearly as far (and accurately) as I can forehand my C-FD's. (I am slowly adding power back to my FH after rebuilding, I am still working on drivers)

Latest posts