• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Frisbee Golf" mention in Time magazine recently; Ouch

Oregon Southpaw

Bogey Member
Concerning the stimulus money's use, this was in July 13ths Time magazine:

"Killing Frisbee Golf

Cities and States were told to stay away from swimming-pool construction and anything with the word golf in it - Frisbee golf, clock golf, minigolf.

The Frisbee people are going to be unhappy with me forever, says Edward DeSeve, senior adviser to the President for recovery and reinvestment."

I'm assuming that this is some sort of memo concerning fiscal responsibility and the fact that "golf" is a buzzword which could have elitist conotations and therefore could be considered frivolous or wasteful. I've heard it's really not too expensive to set up a course...so if us players want new courses, looks like we'll have to do the legwork and raise the money ourselves...

I'm assuming that this is some sort of memo concerning fiscal responsibility and the fact that "golf" is a buzzword which could have elitist conotations and therefore could be considered frivolous or wasteful. I've heard it's really not too expensive to set up a course...so if us players want new courses, looks like we'll have to do the legwork and raise the money ourselves...

that is how most get put in here in NY anyway..if it wasn't for golfers giving, there wouldn't be half the courses we have now..

"so if us players want new courses, looks like we'll have to do the legwork and raise the money ourselves... "

....or do it the way the first 3,000 or so courses were done, without stimulus money.

I think that the courses that get put in by people on private land, or put in by active clubs tend to be better courses anyway. Parks departments rarely spend the money on design, and that really shows. I think we need more courses like Holler in the Hills (private course in KY), and less pitch n putt 9 holers in tiny parks.

seriously wtf.. is disc golf an example of frivilous spending or something? I don't get the reference at all.

That's strange, because the city of Abilene, TX is planning on installing two new courses in the next four years. The local university just put a new one up a couple months ago, and the two that are planned will bring a total of five to the city.

seriously wtf.. is disc golf an example of frivilous spending or something? I don't get the reference at all.

I think it's more related to "golf" as a buzzword rather than any prejudice towards the sport or anything like that in regards to how they are spending their money. Honestly though, why not spend some money on a few disc courses and then....well that's a topic for another thread that I'm sure has been played out before but I may need to start.....

Here's the article:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1908167,00.html

"The Frisbee people are going to be unhappy with me forever," says DeSeve.

Ehh. 15% growth rate in players every year. Number of courses has doubled since I started playing. Tournament fields growing larger and larger. Oh, I think we'll be fine.

Oh, and has anyone seen one of these while driving through a construction zone?

wstim_tout_0713.jpg

If you're wondering what I was the first time I saw them, the answer is those signs cost up to $1200 apiece. Glad to see highway sign makers won't be unemployed anytime soon.

Yeah. That's much better. Stoooopid government. :rolleyes:

Yeah for the price of 3 of those signs you could make a pretty good course. I remember during the first stim plan Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity were having kunipshun fit over Frisbee golf courses going in Austin, TX. Haters.

Yeah for the price of 3 of those signs you could make a pretty good course. I remember during the first stim plan Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity were having kunipshun fit over Frisbee golf courses going in Austin, TX. Haters.

:) Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity have fits over everything not proposed by the most hard core right wing....they are merely propoganda and about as good of a source of news as John Stewart and Stephen Colbert....merely propogandists for different sides....

:) Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity have fits over everything not proposed by the most hard core right wing....they are merely propoganda and about as good of a source of news as John Stewart and Stephen Colbert....merely propogandists for different sides....

Yeah, unfortunately that is all my mom watches. I gave up on her a long time ago. I'd say that Beck has a weird political wing of his own though, even neocons make more sense than he does sometimes.

Crap, I think I just started a thread drift :eek:

This is sad. The idea of DG being free should be a bonus. It is a great activity we can all save money on. It is fairly inexpensive compared to the playground equipment that most parks already have.

I wrote a 10 page paper on that topic for AP English III this past school year

Yet another reason to hate those d bags

I am surprised that more physical ed people don't get on board with it. Disc Golf is a great way for families spending a fun day together while they exercise.

I have been thinking about sending Dr Laura an email about Disc Golf. I know some of you don't agree with her, but she has millions of listeners, most of them family oriented people, and she is a huge advocate of exercise, and people getting outside more.