• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funny on-course true stories

About ten years ago my card was getting ready to tee off on our first hole at The Standing Rocks Open in Stevens Point, WI. One of the guys on our card was a no show and after waiting as long as we could we gave him his seven. Our first hole was an extremely difficult three with a serpentine fairway and a lot of trouble and rough on both sides. One of the guys on the card took an eight on the hole that was really tough to watch. As we were walking to the next tee someone says to the guy who took the snowman, "Dude, you're losing to a guy who isn't even here."

I know which hole you're talking about.

Easy to get a big number if you get off the fairway.

I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?

No, because it came to rest on the ground, and not in the chains or inner tray as described in rule 802.05A. Interestingly enough, that rule also seems to indicate had his putt hit the cage and went in or landed on top of the band and fallen through in a similar fashion, it would not have counted as holed out either.

No, because it came to rest on the ground, and not in the chains or inner tray as described in rule 802.05A. Interestingly enough, that rule also seems to indicate had his putt hit the cage and went in or landed on top of the band and fallen through in a similar fashion, it would not have counted as holed out either.

If seen going through the top it's no good. But if it falls out the bottom it's good discs shouldn't be able to fall out the bottom.

If seen going through the top it's no good. But if it falls out the bottom it's good discs shouldn't be able to fall out the bottom.

But it came to rest on the ground, not in the basket. It doesn't matter that the disc SHOULDN'T be able to fall out of the basket; it physically DID, and therefore came to rest on the ground, not the basket.

I guess I should have pointed out and made more clearly it just fell straight out of the bottom of the basket the moment it hit the cage, not after it had settled.

I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?

I was under the impression a disc has to come to rest in the chains or basket. In this instance, its the same as a spit through. Im far from a rules geek though, someone else probably has a more definite answer.

But it came to rest on the ground, not in the basket. It doesn't matter that the disc SHOULDN'T be able to fall out of the basket; it physically DID, and therefore came to rest on the ground, not the basket.

I guess I should have pointed out and made more clearly it just fell straight out of the bottom of the basket the moment it hit the cage, not after it had settled.

I agree with sjberry. If it wasn't at rest in the basket, it wasn't holed out. In principle, this situation is no different than a disc hitting the bottom of the basket and bouncing out, or a disc like a gumbputt entering the cage with enough speed to squeeze out the back (yes, it can happen).

The only instance in which the disc would have been holed out is if the disc was at rest in the basket and a subsequent action, such as another being hit by another disc or a gust of wind, knocked it out.

Here's 802.05 Holing Out, with the relevant portion in bold:

Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

I agree with sjberry. If it wasn't at rest in the basket, it wasn't holed out. In principle, this situation is no different than a disc hitting the bottom of the basket and bouncing out, or a disc like a gumbputt entering the cage with enough speed to squeeze out the back (yes, it can happen).

The only instance in which the disc would have been holed out is if the disc was at rest in the basket and a subsequent action, such as another being hit by another disc or a gust of wind, knocked it out.

Here's 802.05 Holing Out, with the relevant portion in bold:

Coincidentally, the disc in question in my story was also a gumbputt

Calling Chuck Kennedy. I understand what the rules literally say but in this case i would argue it's in. Dropping out the bottom of a cage should never happen. I understand it'd because of the softness on the gumbputt.

Pretty sure they changed the rules so that if everyone agrees it went in the basket and fell through it, it counts.

A disc clearly landing in a basket then falling through the bottom or side has never been considered holed out, just an unlucky event due to equipment failure, or in the case of some early target models, a basket design flaw with gaps too large. I remember a tournament in the 90s where a disc fell through and an argument ensued that it should count. It did not according to the rules. During the lunch break, wire was woven into that basket and a few others to reduce the gaps enough.

Two pages of funny stories, two pages of rules discussions :D

The inability to stay on topic, I blame on the Trump administration. :\

So let's get back to the fun!
Playing Bulldog Bayou a few years ago, I'd just gotten to MS from my summer in OR, and found I'd forgotten to bring an R-Pro Aviar with me. Someone in our group lent me his Star Aviar, which substituted nicely---until short #12 [the layout on the course was different then]. My 25' putt skipped off the chains, bounced on the ground, stood up, and rolled over the sidewalk and into the parking lot [gigantic, and empty]. At this point the wind came up, and the disc picked up speed and took off for parts unknown. It traversed diagonally the entire lot, slipped through the curb gap, and crossed the road, where it finally collapsed in the grass. Pacing it off, it was over 400' from the basket---almost twice the distance of the hole itself.
Not funny ha ha, but more of a "Good Lord, did that really happen"?

I had something similar happen on Riverside in St. Cloud in the mid-90s. Hole 14 went diagonally uphill to a pin just over the crest of the hill. I threw a roller that was looking good but glanced off a tree near the top and turned ugly coming all the way down the hill. It kept going across the flat 50 ft wide walkway area then down over the steep bank through the woods and stopped 5 feet from the Mississippi. At the time, the rule wasn't available to take optional re-throw and come back to the tee but I would have been able to do so had the disc actually made it into the OB river. Oh, the funny part of the story? I was playing doubles and my partner landed 20 ft from the pin so I didn't have to play it.

Not really funny for me, but i spent a good 10 minutes the other day backtracking a course and asking others if they had seen a disc i thought had fallen out of my bag. About three tees backwards i look and realize my disc is in my bag, just in the wrong spot. The sad part? I carry 10 discs in my innova starter bag, and this is an axiom overmold with a white rim. I only have two discs (clash being the other) that look like this. I felt like an ass lol