• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Further than my Tern?

DiscFifty

Banned
Just curious if there's a disc that all things being equal on my part (ability to throw the disc) would go further than my Tern does? I'm now getting pretty consistently out to 340 with the occasional "everything firing correctly" throw out to 375+. There are so many new discs out there, especially from the Trilogy group, that I just don't have the time to research all the new discs. But during tournaments I've seen peeps in my division saying good things about the "Ballista" and other discs. Makes me curious.... Thx.

At your distance you might look at the DD Freedom/Westside Destiny if you're set on going with a faster driver with a similar flight as the Tern. Easy distance.

At your distance a lighter Tern will go further if you have a heavy one, and a Star one will go further than a Champion one.

After you pass 400, you will have diminishing returns from a Tern. At a certain speed the Tern is going to flip too much to truly max out distance without having to throw it perfectly with just enough hyzer to have the perfect s-curve. A more stable disc will be able to be thrown faster without rolling over too much to control.

But that is in the future. Right now you need to focus on technique with a perfectly capable disc for your arm speed. There are faster discs that are also a bit understable, but constantly switching discs to find the "best" is a endless search. If you like the Tern, both how it feels and flies, continue with it until it seems like it is worth switching to a more stable disc. But the best way to throw further is not another disc, but throwing the disc faster and with better technique. That can only be achieved through practice.

But if you don't want to put the work in, just get a King or something.

If you're seriously looking at trilogy molds, check out the Bolt, Havoc, or Sorcerer. Gold Line/Tournament plastic has more glide for maximum distance, but Opto/VIP has the better grip and durability. I haven't thrown any of the speed-14 molds yet, but I've heard good things about the DD Freedom.

Assuming your Tern is in the 165-170 range, I'd go with something in the 160-165 range for discing up. If your Tern is heavier, maybe get a lighter Tern, as was already suggested. If your Tern is lighter than 160g, definitely get a heavier Tern before discing up.

I'm a big fan of the Tern because I'm 55 and may never reach that true 400' accurate tee shot on a golf line. It's the only high speed disc I bag (the next speeds in my bag are 7-8: Teebird & Stag). But I now have about seven Terns of differing weights, plastics, and conditions of wear. Typically, I'll have three or four in the bag to handle that day's course and wind.

For me, staying with a single mold has made me focus ore on my technique, & I've improved this year from 280-300' out to 330-350'. I know I can add more distance with more consistent technique, so that's going to remain my focus. Happy to hear several folks on here support the notion.

I hope you find the satisfaction of a long driver that really works for you, even if it's something other than the Tern! :)

An icon cannon at 169g will probably bomb for you. It has a ridiculously fat rim but thats what you get for going for max allowable rim width. Also with your tern are you getting a decent s curve or are you reaching that distance with a line drive? I get 390 with my icon outlaw on a line drive but an s curve with 390 with my ddx.

Low 160s glow tern or whatever's the most stable you can get.

King, that's all you need to know.

I might just be a grumpy old man, but I almost enjoy watching my one friend shank tern shot after tern shot. But it does go far.....far far away.

For me in general.

The chances of me hitting a tightish fairway at 350 with a Tern = 20%-30%
The chances of me hitting a tightish fairway 325 ft with an Eagle = 60%-70%

The extra 25 feet is almost always not worth the risk. Maybe I just suck at throwing understable fast drivers.

Under 400ft with a Tern? Just keep working on your form. Don't try to find "that magical disc" that will help you gain distance. Honestly there's no disc on the market that will increase your distance more than 10-20ft, compared to what your already getting with your Tern. It's the archer not the arrow. Just do field work, get advice from players that are better than you & post a video of your form on here.

I might just be a grumpy old man, but I almost enjoy watching my one friend shank tern shot after tern shot. But it does go far.....far far away.

For me in general.

The chances of me hitting a tightish fairway at 350 with a Tern = 20%-30%
The chances of me hitting a tightish fairway 325 ft with an Eagle = 60%-70%

The extra 25 feet is almost always not worth the risk. Maybe I just suck at throwing understable fast drivers.

Terns are surprisingly controllable for an understable driver.

Terns are surprisingly controllable for an understable driver.

Stars can get a little touchy but Champs on a hyzerflip are surprisingly reliable and controllable. I used to be able to pipe them down a gap, but have actually had trouble with them with faster arm speed. I think it is having trouble holding onto the disc through the snap (I have no problem with a smaller rimmed Trespass). It isn't a problem with the disc so much as grip form.

Yah champs for sure. Stars can bomb but once in a while they do something crazy.

I throw 400'+ consistently, and the Tern is maybe the longest disc I have in the bag. The stability is perfect for huge S curve rips with tons of glide.

I will readily admit that Terns are all over the place for stability. Finding one stable enough to crank hard for big distance can be difficult.

Obviously if you want a longer driver than the Tern you're going to have to find something fast but not overly stable. The King is definitely a good suggestion, as is the Bolt or Nuke SS. Keep in mind that those molds are finicky. The distance potential is there, but you'll have to put the disc on a perfect flight path to attain it.

Despite being a speed 12 disc, the Tern has as much distance potential as anything out there in the right hands.

Stars can get a little touchy but Champs on a hyzerflip are surprisingly reliable and controllable. I used to be able to pipe them down a gap, but have actually had trouble with them with faster arm speed. I think it is having trouble holding onto the disc through the snap (I have no problem with a smaller rimmed Trespass). It isn't a problem with the disc so much as grip form.

Have you tried a Hannah Leatherman Star Tern? They're a bit more stable/OS than 'regular' Star Terns.

I have limited experience with Terns, but I really like my 175 Champ.

As for throwing farther, I'd recommend focusing on form. Sure you can get a flippier, lighter, glidier disc, but that will only help on very open courses that have no wind. Trying to find that perfect amount of hyzerflip is really fun in an open field for max distance, but it tends to get me in trouble on the disc golf course.

As for another disc, you could try a Katana (I have a 175 domey champion that goes very far, but it also tends to flip a little too much, or not quite enough. I have plenty of perfect, long, beautiful shots, but just as many shots that turned over and went OB, or off the fairway, or behind annoying obstacles. It's fun to throw, for sure, but not always the best golf decision.) My Tern doesn't go quite as far, but so far seems more consistent.

Practice distance with a Teebird or Valk.

Mamba is the droid you're looking for, if you want easy distance with 340' power.

Practice with the control drivers imo and you'll eventually get more out of the Terns.