• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway Non Putter Thread

RustyP said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Gateway makes non putters?
^my exact thought after reading the thread title :D

I finally got to see a Ninja in person today. How in the hell do people grip those things?
no f-ing clue, ive got pretty big hands and it felt damn near impossible to throw

the prolines are way more durible and I enjoy them. I throw a squall and the proline element is very similar in my opinion
Itchy said:
I'm a big fan of their Element, but I hate the plastic mine is in. "Sure grip" (S Series) dings up super easy and turns the disc into a saw blade in your hand.

Jesse B 707 said:
RustyP said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Gateway makes non putters?
^my exact thought after reading the thread title :D

I finally got to see a Ninja in person today. How in the hell do people grip those things?
no f-ing clue, ive got pretty big hands and it felt damn near impossible to throw
Good thing you don't have to throw it hard. :lol:

Here's a quick rundown from what I can remember with my days with Gateway.

Edge(Proto Speed Demon) - Even more overstable than the current run of spirits. Pretty much a lawn dart.
Original Speed Demon - Became the spirit mold for the most part.
Speed Demon (Current Mold) - Slight less overstable than the Spirit
Speed Demon DT - Slower version of the speed demon. Maybe a notch less stable. Not sure if these are being produced anymore either.
Spirit - Probably the most overstable distance driver there is. Once beat in, they can still hold their stability and go a long ways. (DGDave is correct on the best runs in that link he posted).
Illusion - Similar to a Teerex in my opinion. Fairly fast and moderately overstable
QC Illusion - More like a FR destroyer in my opinion. Once worn in these things were huge bombers. And when really beat, make the best roller in the market. (DGDave is correct on the blue qc illusions from '06)
Blurr - Straight distance driver. Never really caught on. No longer produced.
Rage - Blurr top with a Spirit wing. Was a horrible disc
Inferno (Original) - The Gateway produced one's were pure money. Huge distance when thrown correctly. Tons of glide and good speed. Only problem is they didn't take well to wear.
Assassin - Big boomer. Easy to throw and huge glide. It doesn't really feel like a distance driver, but once you throw it you will notice it goes a long way.
Apache - Another one that doesn't feel like a distance driver, but can go a long ways. I've had multiple throws over 400 with one of these things. Has an insane amount of glide.
Savage - Overstable fairway driver in my opinion. It will fly straight for a while and then start to get overstable.
Sabre - Straight fairway driver. Stability of a TL, but a little bit slower. but has better glide.
Sabre 844 - Slightly overstable version of the sabre. I've heard told that the 844 was created at the request of Shawn Sinclair. Also last I saw/heard, they make an 844, but it has an "X" on the bottom instead of 844.
Hybrid - A fairway driver that was similar to a Blaze. It might have been a touch less stable. This one is no longer produced either...I think.
Blaze - I would consider this to be a long midrange disc. Overstable with little glide. Does break in very nicely.
Demon - About as overstable as the spirit, but in midrange form.
Hatchet - Original configuration for the Demon. Was slightly less overstable. Is no longer produced.
Original Warrior - This was the original Blaze mold. It is/was the big brother to the demon.
Current Warrior - A modified version of the element. Overstable compliment to the element
Original Element - A straight to slightly understable midrange. Had good speed. The glide kind of lacked.
Current Element - Retooled a few years back. There was some added stability to this disc. The glide still kind of lacks. but it is a straight shooter none the less.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

I have a first run Hybrid. the thing flies about 250' straight and then turns left hard(RHBH).

dgdave said:
The Royal Blue QC illusions from 06 are killer

I had a stack of the baby blue and a stack of the Blue QC illusions that I threw for a long time and they were awesome. The baby blue ones are really easy to break 400'

i'll list the only gateway discs i've thrown that are worth a hoot...

spirits are just amazing. there are so many things you can do with them. a lot of fun when new and very predictable because they are so overstable (great for wind). and when beat in, they gradually become eagles. i've only thrown them in good plastic though, so i'm not sure about the ones made with their awful plastics.

sabres, the more overstable versions, are great discs. some are pretty flippy out of the box and some are stable to overstable. yes, the flippy ones can go a mile if thrown 80ft in the air, but where can you actually use that? the slightly overstable ones are great control discs. you can put them on a line and it will hold that line until it runs out of gas and then just fade slightly left without skipping. you can also throw super slow fading hyzers with them, and looong turning annhyzers. extremely versatile.

those are the only two discs that still have a place in my bag, besides wizards.
notable mentions...

warriors are a good new midrange. i don't like the grip, but the flight is very nice. a little bit overstable. if i wasn't in love with buzzz's i'd be throwing them.

blazes are nice. i have discs in my bag that i prefer over the blaze, but they're nice. a little less overstable than a spirit, slower, and with more glide. a nice compliment to both the spirit and the sabre. i think of them as a very overstable sabre.

demons, like everyone else says, are kinda like the slow version of the spirit. very predictable and they beat in a little quicker so they're not a pig for too long.

QC illusions were fantast. i had a couple and used them as my main distance driver for a while until i couldn't find anymore of them. decided it probably wasn't a good idea to keep them in the bag since they were hard to replace.

speed demons are kinda like spirits. very little difference, so i like them too.

element Xs were a very good straight flying mid with some fade. gone now, but i liked them for a while and had a few in the bag. replaced them with buzzz's when they were discontinued.

diablos were pretty good distance drivers, imo. the plastic was shit, though. i wouldn't throw them in the bag because they beat up so quickly. still, it was the first disc that i consistantly threw over 400ft. what the hell were they thinking, selling that plastic as premium? thats actually when i started to remove gateway discs from my bag.

thats about it.

how does the speed of a demon compare with a drone? i love the drone's flight for chip shots and vertical spikes, but it is one of the least comfortable rims i have held. the demon looks more ergonomic. anybody thrown both?

pg043 said:
how does the speed of a demon compare with a drone? i love the drone's flight for chip shots and vertical spikes, but it is one of the least comfortable rims i have held. the demon looks more ergonomic. anybody thrown both?
I would say they are comparable. i think the demon is a little more overstable.

I'd say the Demon is a little faster but it lacks the glide the of the Drone so it makes little difference.

i don't like the grip of the demon, so i can't recommend it for that. but its based mostly on the dome, rather than the rim. the flights are comparable. demons are probably a bit more overstable and start fading almost immediately out of your hand. its not actually a lack of glide, because when they are beat in demons glide pretty well.

I have no idea what is wrong with me but I keep putting more and more gateway into my bag. I am up to warlocks, blazes, spirits, warrior, illusions, and I just ordered a couple assassins. I intentionally tried to beat the snot out of the illusion, but no matter what I do it will not fly different. It is fun throwing different things. I hated the spirit at first, but it has been super windy out lately and it is growing on me.

Ever since I first threw a spirit I've been hooked. It's perfect for super headwinds, and comes in handy for a bunch of get of the poop and trick shots. Even with gateways notorious differences between runs you can always count on any spirit you find to be crazy overstable. It's just a matter of how crazy overstable you want. Ive only ever had one that were just retardedly unusefully overstable, the white pearly run with the COMPLETELY flat top(think z flick flat).

rusch_bag said:
I have no idea what is wrong with me but I keep putting more and more gateway into my bag. I am up to warlocks, blazes, spirits, warrior, illusions, and I just ordered a couple assassins. I intentionally tried to beat the snot out of the illusion, but no matter what I do it will not fly different. It is fun throwing different things. I hated the spirit at first, but it has been super windy out lately and it is growing on me.

You will love the Assassin. It is a very good disc. I have thought about putting one back in my bag for long turnovers.

dgdave said:
Assassins are the easiest disc to throw 400'.

I hope you're just comparing Gateways discs here...

Back in "05 Dave McCormack said that he would sponsor amateurs if they threw all Gateway and lived in an area where Gateway was underrepresented. I jumped on this and I ordered a bunch of Gateway drivers. Long story short, THEY ALL SUCKED. I was given mostly shit...I ordered "E" plastic which I was told by McCormack was basically the same as Champ/Z, and what I got where Element/EXs that were essentially KC pro type plastic, E Wizards that were mostly "H" and tacoed on impact, E Spirits that were like a durable Pro plastic, an overweight Inferno that was totally shit plastic, and a really nice orange "E" Blaze that is now in JohnE's huge stack of backups because it was the one run he likes.

Long story short, I said "fuck this shit". In the years since I've continued to test out Gateway's new stuff, but I won't touch anything on the shelves. I find one of my GDS sponsored buddies and throw theirs. I can say with full confidence that Gateway does not make anything outside of putters that isn't outdone on multiple levels by multiple other discs by multiple other manufacturers. Some of the discs fly alright, but feel really weird in the hand with sharp/abrupt angles and really high or low profiles. The Apache/Savage/Assasin are imo the best ones that have come out yet. They fly on pretty conventional lines, have comfortable shapes, and have a good speed/glide ratio. Unfortunately at this point there are so many other discs that fly similarly from other manufacturers that they don't really offer anything to someone who is not comitted to GDS. If the current Apache/Savage/Assasin had been released 10 years ago they would have made waves, but these days even the good ones are pretty meh.

I just picked up a proto savage from sunking. It is gummy like the e hpp demons. Why doesn't gateway release more in this plastic. It has a great grip and is very durrible. Instead of trying to hit a home run wth a new design gateway could improve current models with this great plastic.