• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway Non Putter Thread

Money21, in case you weren't aware, other HPP models...

Apache, Blaze, Element, Sabre, Speed Demon, Spirit, Warrior, along with all their putters.

Hoey said:

Apache, Blaze, Element, Sabre, Speed Demon, Spirit, Warrior, along with all their putters.
I never understood why they stuck the HPP plastic under the E plastic name. It seems like it would have had more impact if it would have been introduced as a new plastic instead of a new blend of E. Seriously, imagine if Star plastic was sold as HPP Pro plastic. Does that sound like a good marketing strategy?

Hoey said:

I have 2 hpp voodoos one is nice and gummy the other is hard as rock. 2 saber as well same story. 3 savages all say hpp all hard. this is the first gummy driver in the gummy hpp i have found. I have three hpp demon that are gummy and i think they are the best FH mid i have ever thrown. I guess what I am saying is I think gateway has something with the gummy hpp but it is a crap shoot when ordering because of the harder stuff with the same name.

other companies have gummy runs and hard runs without changing the names of their plastic. that criticism is probably a bit unfair to tag only gateway with. I only throw gummy star max's, not the stiffer ones. i'm just glad they make gummy ones because they're great forehand discs.

readysetstab said:
other companies have gummy runs and hard runs without changing the names of their plastic. that criticism is probably a bit unfair to tag only gateway with. I only throw gummy star max's, not the stiffer ones. i'm just glad they make gummy ones because they're great forehand discs.
I agree with that there are some real difference with in plasics, but this is the worst I have ever seen. The two voodoo's I have one is as hard as any champ/z pastic I have ever felt. The other one I can bend like flx. With that said I think Gateway was/is really on to something with the Gummy HPP and should continue to make it and that they should market it better, but with gateway tack record I don't think either will happen. As cosumer of their products that is frustrating.

wasn't sure where to post this, and didn't feel like starting a new thread.

I finally got around to throwing an HPP Savage. I had read a lot of people saying it had the stability of a predator or firebird, and I couldn't disagree more. Its flight is definitely more like an eagle or Q-Polaris. The nose is almost identical to a polaris and the bottom is very similar to a TL(but with a bead). But the HPP plastic really seems to slow this disc down, which is why I think people compared it to a firebird. I was throwing 325-350 frozen ropes and had a few strays that hit 375(tested 3 different Savages). One of the savages was always shorter by a good 10-15ft. That mold has a ton of potential as a workhorse driver for Gateway, but it needs to be in a different plastic. The HPP just does not get any glide, very similar to my complaints about the Ascent driver by Vibram. Both are amazing molds, but the plastic limits the discs. I do see how this disc is probably like a Firebird for some, and I would never recommend it to beginners. I compared a box of x-outs that we had at Disc Nation and only 2 out of about 10 matched in dome and plh. The rest had high noses and domes, I chose not to throw these and these were probably the FB like Savages. I walked away very impressed by the mold, but very disappointed in the plastics available.

That HPP plastic seems to affect some molds more than others. Also, that HPP plastic varies so much, that its hard to say what HPP even is. I upshot with a couple of HPP magics, and they glide every bit as well as any regular magic, but I also used to throw Wizards and Voodoos, which didn't glide at all in HPP, or at least the HPP I had.

I just wont get into any gateway non-putter ever, because I want to be able to find two discs that are the same. Sure, Innova and Discraft aren't 100% consistent, but I know when I order one, it will be CLOSE to the same, if not exactly the same as my others. Gateway would have gone out of business a long time ago if it weren't for having some outstanding putter molds.

i have a scout (old mold same as demon) in the h plastic like what the chiefs were made out of and it glides well for the mold. I bet a savage in this plastic would rock. my problem was weight with the savage I only found one under 170. If the were made down in the low 160's i would probabley drop the fl for the savage.

The semi-opaque(HPP/E mix) Savages fly great. You can really lay into them and not worry about it flipping too much. I agree with ZJ that its stability was right around a TB/Eagle. They aren't the fastest of disc's, but they do have a pretty good glide to them.

I won't pile-on about the plastic inconsistencies and razor-flash issues, as these are well-documented. I will only say that these types of issues are a HUGE pet-peeve of mine.

Here are my experiences with Gateway's mids and drivers. As a general rule, their Mids are relatively shallow-rimmed and fast. They feel like a mid/driver hybrid in the hand. Players with good snap can make them fly as such, but players without the ability to put crazy spin on them will find that they fly with less glide than many of the other discs on the market.

Element: like a beat Roc without the reliable stability. Flies unlike any other disc when it's seasoned. With a good snap on a steep hyzer, it'll travel 90% of its flight dead straight, while constantly performing a slow turnover, and then finish right very late, right as it's about to fall out of the air. Super unique shot. It turns over very slowly, but it doesn't stop turning over, and the turn doesn't seem to affect the flight until the very last 20-10%. Quite possibly the best tunnel-with-a-very-late-right-turn mid out there. Also a great disc for finesse sidearm upshots.

Element-X: a more stable element, they were crazy to get rid of this mold. Not that it would make my bag over a Roc or Buzzz, but because it was their best mid they had.

Warrior: a lot like a Whippet. Or a faster, but less glidey Drone. Beats into a flight similar to a brand-new max weight Glow Buzzz, but with less glide.

Sabre: a glideless leopard. Very controllable, very straight when thrown well, but needs a lot of height to get the distance that most discs can get thrown normally.

Apache: like a very domey Wraith. Slightly overstable when new, beats into a decent turnover S-curve driver. The dome on the two I've thrown was very high. Made it a bit uncomfortable in the hand.

Illusion: like a Destroyer with less glide. Power players can make these things go.

huge deal on Gateway discs on the their FB page!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gateway-Disc-Sports/337487547954

5 (possibly 6) discs, 2 minis, a towel .... and a chance to win a bag or a basket.

I just snagged a pair of used (9/10) flat top pearly Proline Spirits from the used bin at my local DG shop. I was thinking of auditioning them against my Z-Preds for the meat hook place in my bag. I like the Preds for forehands and headwinds but they don't thumber how I want (they don't turn fast enough for me) so I was hoping that these Spirits would be good for the Forehand/Headwind/SpikeHyzer/Thumber mold as I am a mold minimalist.

Normally I would just go out and throw the fucks but I wont be able to hit a field for a day or two and they are burning a hole in my bag with anticipation.

Dig It said:
I just snagged a pair of used (9/10) flat top pearly Proline Spirits from the used bin at my local DG shop. I was thinking of auditioning them against my Z-Preds for the meat hook place in my bag. I like the Preds for forehands and headwinds but they don't thumber how I want (they don't turn fast enough for me) so I was hoping that these Spirits would be good for the Forehand/Headwind/SpikeHyzer/Thumber mold as I am a mold minimalist.

Normally I would just go out and throw the fucks but I wont be able to hit a field for a day or two and they are burning a hole in my bag with anticipation.

In my experience comparing a Pred to a Spirit is like comparing a Pred to a Valk.

i had a gummy flat clear hpp spirit for a bit that was in the 160s that was crazy overstable, almost unusable overstable. i like throwing a three-quarter side arm/overhand flex shot as a get out of jail shot and most discs i can keep flipped over with that type of line. that spirit would flex out every time, no matter how i threw it. it decided to go swimming within 2 weeks of picking it up though.

Picked up a 7/10 Element out of the used bin the other day. Thrown ~40 holes with it.
It's a great disc. Not sure it has a spot in the bag yet, but it might work it's way in.