• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

General form issues?!

I might have worked it out in my head on that one just didn't ask the right question. Do I have to throw a putter with hyzer at max power to get it down to 300 ft?

Yes, if the OP was asking about improving his driving form. What the OP was asking about is powering down for shots where you don't want max driving distance. How is throwing max power with a putter going to help that?

Yep. And the correct way to do this is to throw a slower disc, as opposed to changing your throw and not throwing as hard. It's not about "discing down", it's about choosing the right disc for the shot.

I might have worked it out in my head on that one just didn't ask the right question. Do I have to throw a putter with hyzer at max power to get it down to 300 ft?

Depends on the stability of the putter and how clean you throw or how much power you throw with. Most neutral putters like BB Aviars, Ions, Challengers, Banger GTs, and Wizards can be thrown on any line well over 300'.

In golf, players will use a driver on a hole 380 yards in length. If the next hole is 167 yards, they don't use a driver again and take something off their swing, instead they use a club and employ a full swing.

Yes hyzer. How much depends on the stability of your disc. Get your putter(s), and make some practice throw(s), just as you would for any other disc. Learning how to throw a disc, is something you pretty much have to work out for yourself.

Now that I've beaten that to death, if I thow my slowest speed disc ( putter) and it does go 300 ft, what do I do for the under 300 ft range? It's back to my original question. How do you reduce your distance? Like an up shot. Do I use my full throw with less power or is it better to just do something like the right peck drill where there is no reach back and I'm in constant eye contact with the basket?

Now that I've beaten that to death, if I thow my slowest speed disc ( putter) and it does go 300 ft, what do I do for the under 300 ft range? It's back to my original question. How do you reduce your distance? Like an up shot. Do I use my full throw with less power or is it better to just do something like the right peck drill where there is no reach back and I'm in constant eye contact with the basket?

Yes. To reduce distance on upshots / short tee shots, just shorten your arm swing. Try to keep everything else the same, but have a shorter swing and therefore less of your body into the throw. Another way is to change your grip, which will put less spin on the disc and therefore reduce distance.

There are several ways to accomplish the same task, the one that works for you could vary by comfortability with each technique.

I will say that looked like really good late acceleration, and if that really went 400' from a standstill you're gonna have some sick D once you get the rest of the throw nailed down.

Also, on the topic of understable/stable/overstable:

Lets say that a certain disc, "A," when thrown flat at full power for a 400' thrower will fly perfectly straight until it slows and begins to fade, with no turn at all. We'll call this stability "0" just to make it easy. That disc would be considered stable. That means if this thrower was to throw it on a hyzer, it should for the most part hold the hyzer the whole way (assuming he has clean form) at about the same hyzer angle. Now lets say he throws another disc "B" at full power flat, and relatively early in the flight it behinds turning left while still at high speeds, this disc would be quite overstable, lets give it a rating of 5. If he threw "B" on a hyzer, it would not only hyzer, but would turn sharper and sharper left throughout the throw. Now he throws "C" and it flips right very early, and begins to roll. If this was a clean throw, this disc is understable, let's say -5. If he throws "C" on a hyzer, it will start off as a hyzer, but flip up to flat, then begin to turn right again.

Now discs can have values from anywhere from this imaginary 5 to -5. So a disc that is a 1 is more stable than all those below it, but less overstable than those above it.

And discs also can vary in when they are stable or not. There is high speed stability (HSS) and low speed stability (LSS). Discs that turn a lot in the beginning, but still return to fade back a lot have a low HSS, and a high LSS. Discs that don't turn much in the beginning at all, but don't fade a lot either have high HSS and low LSS.

Also, if it helps, Innova tries to show HSS and LSS in their flight ratings by calling them turn (HSS) and fade (LSS). Whether or not the numbers they give are accurate is a whole different story.

Just to be confusing a disc rated at '1' could also be called more stable than a disc at '5'.

powering down is not easy , that takes time ( play some rounds)

clubbing down is easy.

if you wanna speed up the process ,play whole rounds with just one or 2 discs, youll learn what a discs will do at different speeds( angles, bh vs fh , etc.) much quicker

my advice go play ,stay out of the field , i see alot of newbs on here only focused on max d
, and thats gonna hurt their game because their grip, their stance , x -step is all focused on just one thing

you got older players telling kids to throw 4 finger power grip and x-step for throwing
300ft, its overkill

Fewer steps or less reachback are the easiest ways to do it. If you built your throw from the hit back you'll already be able to do this with no extra work.

You can also control distance with the line you throw. A 300' shot could be a full on putter drive, a slight hyzer with a mid or a big hyzer with an overstable driver. With slower discs height is another way to control distance. If you get 300' out of a 20' high putter drive, then only throwing 10' off the ground might get you down to 250' or so. This is more difficult to control with faster discs.

Once you get "too" close then you'll probably have to change your grip. Many of my upshots are throw as if I were throwing a lid to a friend in a game of catch, but aiming a bit different.

I get the idea that people think I'm either lying about the distance or I'm stepping it off or something. I wouldn't lie about the D because it would be counterproductive to helping improve my form. I'll try to get a vid up of the whole body and the disc flight.

Just to be confusing a disc rated at '1' could also be called more stable than a disc at '5'.
Only if you use "more stable" to mean closer to 0, which some do. I always say over stable discs are more stable than just simply stable discs to make life easier.

I get the idea that people think I'm either lying about the distance or I'm stepping it off or something. I wouldn't lie about the D because it would be counterproductive to helping improve my form. I'll try to get a vid up of the whole body and the disc flight.

The issue is cell phone gps and the like can also be very inaccurate. No one has said you're lying, distance is just tough to measure accurately.

The issue is cell phone gps and the like can also be very inaccurate. No one has said you're lying, distance is just tough to measure accurately.
^^^Truth

According to my cell phone, I was breaking world records the other day.

Sorry about my previous comment it's just I measured it with a range finder I use for hunting. I didn't mean to come across sounding like a douche. I'm very thankful for this community and the great feed back anybody can just jump on here and get. Pretty awesome. I think I was just pissed cause the city I'm doing a job for has screwed something up and I'm a week away from my deadline when I thought I had three weeks. And if I go over said deadline it's a 500,000 dollar fine. That's a story for somewhere else though, Thanks again for the help everybody.

Only if you use "more stable" to mean closer to 0, which some do. I always say over stable discs are more stable than just simply stable discs to make life easier.

Those people would be wrong. IMO. Stability is referring to Gyroscopic Stability, which is a force created by the disc spinning. More stability is more overstable. Closer to "0" (a completely arbitrary number) is "more neutral". Calling a 0 0 disc "stable" is accurate, but "more stable" is not (as compared to a 0 5 disc).

Last edited:
On the subject of under 300 ft, do pros use a whole multitude of discs or do they mainly throw their putters?

On the subject of under 300 ft, do pros use a whole multitude of discs or do they mainly throw their putters?

Most pros (pulling only from the big locals I've met and talked to personally like Dana, not KC/Feldberg/Nikko and the like) only throw putters from about 150' and in, and use mids for more wind consistency on average. Certain holes and lines can change this, but it is relatively uncommon to see a pro throw a 250' hole with a putter in an average round.

Obviously this is not a "rule" and I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is what I've seen on the course.