• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting a S-Turn

wees

I was playing today and thought of a question for the minds of DGR. What causes a disc to do a s-turn? Is it all in the disc or does snap and spin have more to do with it? From what i understand its mostly the shape of the disc but i was wondering if there is more technique involved.

welcome to the forums

and the answer is both......some discs will naturally make an S curve if you get them to their proper cruising speed.....think cheetah or a beat Cyclone.....but you can also force a disc to make an S curve by throwing a Stable/overstable disc on an anhyzer line.....you throwing the disc to curve right but it's stability at low speed will cause it to turn back to the left or flex out....hope this helps

If you want to go for maximum distance with an S curve, should you do it with understable or overstable disc? Thanks.

Hankman said:
If you want to go for maximum distance with an S curve, should you do it with understable or overstable disc? Thanks.
You can achieve max d either way. Wind, space, and personal preferrence play a part in shot selection.

Anakha said:
Hankman said:
You can achieve max d either way. Wind, space, and personal preferrence play a part in shot selection.

Agreed, but to add... an overstable disc will want to fall back to the left (thrown RHBH) so you will need a lot of power on it and a good angle. An understable disc will not want to fight back so much, so too much angle could turn it into a roller. All depends on angle and power of the throw as to which will work best for you.

I would say understable discs are much better to learn how to s-curve with. Granted, I haven't perfected this...but when I started, I played a lot with my friend's champ beast from Dick's Sporting Goods and I would always go for the S-curve by throwing it anhyzer-ish. This developed OAT habits that I later had to consciously fix. If you're gonna be with this discin' thing for a while...use an understable disc as it will point out your mistakes much more clearly to you.

630241441.jpg

Hankman said:

Max D? Understable flip.
Consistent line? Overstable anhyzer.

Furthur said:
Hankman said:

Max D? Understable flip.
I'd say the other way around.

tumpsi said:
Furthur said:
Hankman said:

Max D? Understable flip.

Mr. Blake's article on distance lines:

The first style is the distance anhyzer, which dominated distance technique from the first official 600' throw performed in 1987 and held the distance record up until 1998. This distance anhyzer is thrown with overstable discs and the general consensus is that the strength of this technique is that it yields very good consistently long distance.

The second style is the hyzer-flip, which has been the preferred method of distance technique since 1998 and been used to set every distance record since then. The hyzer-flip distance technique is generally thrown with stable to understable discs and starting the disc on a hyzer angle, letting it rise, flatten, and turn over. The consensus on the hyzer-flip technique is that current distance drivers are better suited to this method of throwing (since they are much less overstable than earlier sharp-nosed drivers) and that when executed perfectly, yields greater distance potential than the distance anhyzer but is less consistent in its execution.

I think there are less variables in throwing an anhyzer than a turnover. A turnover has to get up to flat and over to anhyzer. That's a lot of movement, and lot of variables to go wrong. Anhyzer always starts out anhyzer, and, when thrown with something overstable, always comes back. Much fewer variables = much more consistent. However, as most people agree around here, you generate much more power from a hyzer body position. So hyzer flip = more power potential = more distance potential.

Furthur said:

The first style is the distance anhyzer, which dominated distance technique from the first official 600' throw performed in 1987 and held the distance record up until 1998. This distance anhyzer is thrown with overstable discs and the general consensus is that the strength of this technique is that it yields very good consistently long distance.

The second style is the hyzer-flip, which has been the preferred method of distance technique since 1998 and been used to set every distance record since then. The hyzer-flip distance technique is generally thrown with stable to understable discs and starting the disc on a hyzer angle, letting it rise, flatten, and turn over. The consensus on the hyzer-flip technique is that current distance drivers are better suited to this method of throwing (since they are much less overstable than earlier sharp-nosed drivers) and that when executed perfectly, yields greater distance potential than the distance anhyzer but is less consistent in its execution.

I think there are less variables in throwing an anhyzer than a turnover. A turnover has to get up to flat and over to anhyzer. That's a lot of movement, and lot of variables to go wrong. Anhyzer always starts out anhyzer, and, when thrown with something overstable, always comes back. Much fewer variables = much more consistent. However, as most people agree around here, you generate much more power from a hyzer body position. So hyzer flip = more power potential = more distance potential.

This is a pretty great summary here. Thanks.

Furthur said:
tumpsi said:
Furthur said:
Hankman said:

Max D? Understable flip.

I like to go for max golf d with a trashed stable distance mold, and tend to throw forehand hyzers over bh anhyzers whenever it's possible. hyzer is always more predictable than anhyzer of any kind. due to that, my anny game isn't that strong. -> it's more unpredictable for me, not necessarily for everyone :)

Ya, everyone is different. When playing golf (and not just throwing in a field), I prefer to throw flat or anhyzer. Ionly throw hyzer when I need to go to the left. I also play a very lefty friendly course )Rosedale), which imsure has something to do with that.

i remember throwing BH anhyzer all the time on any courses that turn to the right. I was unaware about FH shots that first year playing, so I just tried my hardest to get that disc to go right and hopefully land flat next to the basket. Between the courses I did, there was maybe 4 holes all together that was like that. So it was a once in a while shot.

But jeez, once i saw someone throw sidearm, i said, "i need to learn that shit". lol. So much easier to get around to the right turn holes that way.

I tell you what though, it'd be tough to be taught DG on Winstrom Preserve (Holland, MI). That course has got to be topping 9-10 holes that have a very hard right turn on them. You'd have no choice but to learn FH then.

A buddy took me to throw Winstrom a couple weeks ago... decent lil course with some nice gaps to thread... lots of putters. Believe I shot 2 over (sad face here). Then we went to Brewer and I thrashed him... love White and Gold.

And to be on thread... favorite S-turn discs... MOLF, Valk, Orc, EagleX, Beat Teebird, Striker

Latest posts