• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting serious about form again

Sooo... I definitely discovered on my own that I need to keep my hips more neutral. I think I addressed this a little bit today, but not enough. (so many things that clicked for me over the last few days and no time to practice it)

I've been focusing more on trying to improve the timing and mechanics of my throw leading up to the plant. I know I'm not there, but I understand some of the things that I've been doing fundamentally wrong now at least.

The leg kicking thing is new, though. I think it's because I'm trying to not overstride, but also drive hard into my front leg. I'll have to address that next time.

Last edited:
A little better, but you still miss the sequence of weight shift then throw and using your hips. You don't transfer all your weight until after you have already released and your balance is too far too far back because you are striding too far to get forward. Your front knee straightens fully/locks after the release, so all your weight can't be on your front leg until that happens. Your knee straightens too much because you are planting your foot at such a steep angle from your knee and your weight transfer happens too late in the throw or after it.

If you go back the Power of Posture vid, the first thing I talk about is keeping the hips and leg/feet more neutral and using internal hip/femur rotation and talk about width of stance and weight shift. Keeping your leg straighter as you plant also allows you keep your hip neutral and allow for hip turn. You make it so hard on yourself to use your hips and weight with your throwing stance/stride.

Keeping your leg straighter as you plant also allows you keep your hip neutral and allow for hip turn. You make it so hard on yourself to use your hips and weight with your throwing stance/stride.

Yeah this was the thing that I identified on my own right off. I'm initiating the more from the foot/knee rather than the thigh/femur. Out of curiosity, would you say you're using your outer hamstrings or quads more when striding/loading? Trying to get a better sense of the correct feel for that movement.

Yeah this was the thing that I identified on my own right off. I'm initiating the more from the foot/knee rather than the thigh/femur. Out of curiosity, would you say you're using your outer hamstrings or quads more when striding/loading? Trying to get a better sense of the correct feel for that movement.
I'd say I feel it more in the side of the butt loading to internal hip rotation and groin during the stride/external hip extension. Then the lower leg muscles during the throw.

Hey here's one that seems pretty significant. I think it was HUB, but I can't remember what video, I thought said that your elbow should basically be fully extended by the time you're fully planted on your front leg.

But I also think I recall that you said that I should be at the back of my reachback for the plant. This also seems like what I'm seeing in the power of posture video.

Am I confused here, or is this conflicting advice?

Maybe when you start the plant (toe touches the ground) you should be at reachback, but you should be all the way to the pec by the time your foot is fully planted? (Heel driving into the ground and up through the knee/hip)

Maybe when you start the plant (toe touches the ground) you should be at reachback, but you should be all the way to the pec by the time your foot is fully planted? (Heel driving into the ground and up through the knee/hip)

Pretty much that^. It's weird talking about weight and where is it, technically it's where and what a scale would read. You can be 100% on the front toes with a scale reading 50lbs or 500lbs. The heel connects the force up your posture unless you have freakish ankles. The swing of your arm/disc also has a weight to it. You must feel the heel plant well before you feel the whip of the arm/disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=4m7s

Hey here's one that seems pretty significant. I think it was HUB, but I can't remember what video, I thought said that your elbow should basically be fully extended by the time you're fully planted on your front leg.

But I also think I recall that you said that I should be at the back of my reachback for the plant. This also seems like what I'm seeing in the power of posture video.

Am I confused here, or is this conflicting advice?

I would say that this is the same thing!?...when you plant you should be at the back of your backswing. When your are at the back of your backswing your elbow is fully extended. Isn´t it? =)

http://www.heavydisc.com/2014/12/tyler-liebman-eagle-drive-form-breakdown.html

I would say that the reason it's complicated is that from a 1 step I time the heel strike to happen with the elbow extention. By doing that, you're using the stopping of your momentum to complete the inward pull.

It is also key to realize that an x-step or the Schusterick lag 1-step can alter timing a bit, because the hips may need to slide forward into the brace. The heel strike might be too early in those cases to say that it's the elbow extention point. With the basic 1-step it times perfectly for me.

Heel plants with shoulder and arm still back (weight/body is moving forward though into brace) and all weight on plant foot during hit(no weight on rear foot). Watch from 32sec:

Like a hot mess. Are you ever going to film from behind you? Still looks like your hips are swaying to the right quite a bit as your feet are too far apart in stride and not enough inline to the target(which is why you end up on your heel through the finish). You still aren't bracing from behind you and staying on the inside edge of your foot. You are turning your head forward before you brace and swing, I'm still watching my disc so I don't over-rotate/early and shift my weight FROM BEHIND ME. Your rear foot has also left the ground already, so there's nothing left to drive forward, and your rear elbow is out away from the body slowing rotation down.

Also, in terms of my rear heel leaving the ground early, I think this is one of the points where you and HUB differ, where he talks about keeping the rear heel up, whereas you talk more about rolling into it as you drive forward. Not saying I'm doing it right but it's something I've noticed.

As far as my arm, I've been experimenting with trying more of a Swedish style, I guess I can back off of that.

Also, in terms of my rear heel leaving the ground early, I think this is one of the points where you and HUB differ, where he talks about keeping the rear heel up, whereas you talk more about rolling into it as you drive forward. Not saying I'm doing it right but it's something I've noticed.

As far as my arm, I've been experimenting with trying more of a Swedish style, I guess I can back off of that.
Not sure where you interpreted that from. My rear heel is off the ground, but I'm still driving from the instep leading with the heel toward the target, meanwhile your whole foot has already left the building in part from your huge stride and spin out.

I don't see how that resembles anything Swedish with your rear arm, you bring your arm around you instead of into you. There's a couple different ways to do it. The Feldy way with the arm trailing behind you, then comes forward into the body. The Astrom way bringing the arm in a complete circle over your head and disc(this is best for feeling the bracing and getting your shoulders to stop IMO). The GG way similar to Feldy but the arm ends up behind the body. If you go through the throwing motion in a pool, you will understand why GG, PP, Bratten, Kallstrom and Avery end up whipping the rear arm behind them at the hit.

I was recording some from behind when my phone died, so I didn't get much.

I tried to address the angle of my foot (leading with the heel) on my back foot, and weight shifting from the back more. Also I've been pulling through a little lower, which I think is helping a few things, it definitely gets my core more involved in the shot.

I don't think I'm really driving from the back foot, though. I'm kind of at a loss for how to make that happen. For example, my front foot is supposed to be driving up through the instep into my heel to pick up my lead hip as I'm driving from the back foot, right? Those two movements together seem very awkward to pull off at the same time, so something in my timing and/or understanding must be wrong.

Well that is a much better width of stance. You still are turning forward before you brace from behind you and planting really flat footed. Plant on your big toe, and fall to the heel with weight moving behind you toward the target like best weigh shift video above. Since you turn your head forward before the brace you lose your anchor to release the momentum forward to the target(check vids below). Your rear foot is spinning out as it just move upward and tips your spine over the front side brace, your rear foot needs to move forward behind your front leg like in "the move", Feldys hip bump, and hershyzer vids. Pretty much all the videos from the beginning of this thread all apply still.

Better with the rear foot. Now you need to stay compressed into your front leg with forward tilt and not turn forward before bracing from behind you and loosing your pressure from the top. You can see your head/spine are tilted on a different axis than the pros. When you compress and tilt more forward chest to knees(not targetward) your throwing shoulder will rotate lower. I was a bit too generous with your head arrow, it's actually pointing more upward.

Latest posts