• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gimmick Holes

My backyard does not have elevation, wooded areas, shule, or water, but those are all course features I love. The fact that I can't practice on them in my backyard doesn't make me dislike them.

I like encountering a basket that requires skill but isn't something I see often, like the elevated basket in the tree stump at Milo McIver, or the basket in the creek bed at Phantom Falls.

I too enjoy the occasional one. my point in this matter was to find out how many of these type holes is too many for one course. one, two, ten, eighteen? I am not denying that they are fun and challenging.

Chuck, your definition of "gimmicky" differs from mine. I'd agree that there's nothing random or unfair about Hippodrome. And that while I said "to my taste" it's gimmicky, others may like it for the same reason.

I'm not sure I can articulate my definition, other than I know it when I see it. It has something to do with the number of unusual, mostly artificial, constructions involved in the course. Any given one, I'd just say, "Well, that's different." But the weight of all of them somehow diminished my enjoyment playing there.

hmmm. but this is not a part of the course? is it?

Since it was mandated that everyone had to do it, I will go with a yes.

I think it is also clear that when done well, the gimmick tends not to be so gimmicky at all. Go play Brackett's bluff if you want to see a professional gimmicky course.

Since it was mandated that everyone had to do it, I will go with a yes.

I think it is also clear that when done well, the gimmick tends not to be so gimmicky at all. Go play Brackett's bluff if you want to see a professional gimmicky course.

I have wanted to play that course for a while. have to get access though right?

I like a basket in a tree or a hanging basket as much as the next guy but I want to play a serious course, so as long as the holes still are fun and challenging, not redicilous I'll be very happy. A bad day of disc is better than most any other day doing something else.

I've heard this argument before and it's problematic to me because of the term "gimmicky". It has a different definition to different people.

What is the difference between placing a basket behind 2 trees, and planting 2 trees to grow up in front of a basket? Nothing...and most people would not call this "gimmicky".

What is the difference between placing a basket behind 2 trees and placing (for example) two cone-shaped piles of sticks (think teepee tyle) the approxmiate width of a tree each to guard the basket? Nothing really save the shape - but people call this "gimmicky".

When your disc cuts through a tree all the way to the ground and your buddies disc gets caught 3m up in the same tree for an OB penalty - isn't that "gimmicky"?

If two teepads on the same course are different sizes is that "gimmicky"?

If a swirling wind is a header for you then a tail for your buddy is that "gimmicky"? Is placing a hole in a spot where the wind swirls and changes directions gimmicky? or should we always put holes where it is calm?

My point is this: there are so many variables in this game already, that to change something like basket height or the what object guards the basket shouldn't be considered more or less of a gimmick. There is no definition as to what a course should be - only the definition of the game (put the disc into the basket in as few strokes as possible). As long as the hole has a fairway and (IMO here) 1.5 options to the basket (options being paths) then it's fine.

For myself, I'm not saying any of this shouldn't be done.....just that I don't enjoy some of these oddities, especially in large quantities.

It applies, but less so, to natural gimmicks. A basket on an earth mound is cool. Six of them, not so much.

I think it's like nudity. If you do it tastefully, it's great, basket on a boulder here and there. If you take a flat course and put every other basket on an Indian mound, it's potentially annoying.

I think it's like nudity. If you do it tastefully, it's great, basket on a boulder here and there. If you take a flat course and put every other basket on an Indian mound, it's potentially annoying.

We should see if Dave would be down for Nude Wednesdays Mixed Doubles!

This was my point. The key is moderation. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.

I played Hippodrome this year at the collegiate nationals and that's exactly the phrase that came to mind - gimmicky. Holes in the ground, holes on barrels, holes in a horse gate thing, whatever. Hippodrome (and hogback) did have many challenging holes, and it was a fun experience, but some of the shots I got stuck with because if the gimmicks just left me frustrated. Especially whenever a hole is 700+ ft, with a narrow OB ridden fairway, with 30 mph wind in your face, I don't want to have to layup a 20ft putt because the hole is on an 8 foot mound

Latest posts