• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gimmies?

I dont care what kind of a round it is, if that putter doesnt touch the chains, its bad ju ju

EDIT: For me personally. If someone else doesnt do it, then I dont really care .

I don't want bad ju ju:gross:..I will putt out..

My ocd will not let me take a gimme and not putt it in. EVERY TIME. If someone in a casual round tosses me my disc for a gimme I will still go and touch the chains with my putter. Call me crazy.

Biz/crazy
Team Bert

same here.

OCD'ers unite!

There are no gimmies. Specialy not in tournaments. We always put out everything in tournaments.

On super casual practice rounds, i sometimes pick up my fellow players disc aswell when he is within arm lengh of the basket and asks me for it.

One thing that bothers me though is that chain tapping. That is not a put that counts according to the rules. If you take the time to half do it, please take the time to do it properly. You have to release the disc for the put to count. Otherwise you can just aswell take the gimmie...

I putt everything. I'm one of those guys that doesn't like to give my mind the option, if that makes sense. If you ALWAYS play by the rules, you don't ever have to worry about accidentally not doing it right when you need to.

It's like handling a gun. Some people think it's ok to look down the barrel of an unloaded gun. For others it's only ok if the gun is disassembled. For me, I believe that if there's a decision to be made, you're leaving yourself open to making the wrong one. If you NEVER look down the barrel of a gun, then it's never possible to shoot yourself in the face with one. I look down the breach, or use a mirror. I know it's an extreme example, but it's the same line of thinking. Forming good habits.

This is so true.

There was a set of girls on our card this weekend that were just rule mongers to the most extreme I have ever seen. Over 5.5 rounds the only bad thing they ever had to say to Christy was that she held on to a branch during a pitch out after going in the poo. She is meticulous about her mini, her feet, her feet on the tee and putting out (alright! :hfive:).

To be this way means she is this way every round it and it just natural. You can see those who don't play this way casually as it is a real struggle in tournaments which ususally isn't a big deal but I have never seen so many people want to give you strokes than we did in a major.

was playing with my girlfriends little boy n he had been playing the disc golf game on the iphone n when he threw one fairly close to the basket he would walk up to it, give it the distance look down, look at me trying to knock down some shot and say 'That's a Gimme' just like the game hahahaha

At 20 feet, that should not be a gimmie. I feel you can call a gimmie if you are 3 feet or less, otherwise, I want to see that disc in the basket to prove it.

Always always always always putt it out. As a ball golfer, I always wanted to knock down even the 2 inch gimme putts. You go through all that aggrivation to get to the hole, and you don't want to hear that beautiful sound when it hits the cup?

Now, there is less aggrivation overall playing disc but I would argue the sweet sound of chains is more satisfying anyway

I agree. I absolutely hate it whet ppl pick up my disc even if it is directly under the basket. When ppl grab it and toss it back to me I still walk to where it was and putt. The crazy thing is that I play with one guy who does this and in spite of me walking it out and putting every time he does it he still cant get the hint!!!!!!!!! ASK BEFORE YOU TOUCH!!!!!!!

I always putt out. Will point out though, that nothing destroys a round like missing one inside of 10 ft. Therefore, a decent case could be made that for building confidence purposes (instead of what seems like years of missed putts at this point); a gimme now and then could be used as a confidence builder.

I do have to point out though; that I have one bud who plays a bazillion rounds a year; who, when playing solo; often does walking putts and/or gimmes and reports scores that I automatically assume to be better than they really are. With that said, his confidence level is usually high; and this helps his overall game. His tourney finishes are sometimes good and sometimes bad. Speed of play is one of the things that hurts him in tourney play; and some of these issues are reasons why.

I'd prefer to always hole out, but in casual rounds, sometimes a player will grab any drop-ins, sink them, and toss them back to their owners. As long as it's casual, I can't let something so innocuous bug me.

I can not imagine why somebody would not putt. Putting is one of my favorite parts of the game. I could not even imagine taking a "Gimme" it would feel like I was cheating.

I will not judge others though. Some folks are just built different I guess:confused: