• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good discs for eliminating OAT

In my opinion the Comet is better than the Fuse for getting rid of OAT because whereas a Fuse will turn naturally even if you throw it totally clean, the Comet will fly straight and neutral a very long way if you give it a clean pull.

Skeeter, VooDoo, Maco, and Squall have been whipping my FH into shape...

I understand OAT and maybe the faster discs I throw mask it, but for the life of me I cannot throw a Comet. Too me, it's just one of the most touchied discs I have ever thrown and I refuse to use it. Now maybe this offseason I'll take a serious look at my form (I know I strong arm my shots), but I just started working on throwing slower, less stable discs and that's a start to correcting my form. Who knows, maybe I'll try the comet again when I go through this re-learning process. Would like to get putters out 300+ft, so that maybe the way to stop strong-arming and correcting OAT.

I understand OAT and maybe the faster discs I throw mask it, but for the life of me I cannot throw a Comet. Too me, it's just one of the most touchied discs I have ever thrown and I refuse to use it. Now maybe this offseason I'll take a serious look at my form (I know I strong arm my shots), but I just started working on throwing slower, less stable discs and that's a start to correcting my form. Who knows, maybe I'll try the comet again when I go through this re-learning process. Would like to get putters out 300+ft, so that maybe the way to stop strong-arming and correcting OAT.
You got that the wrong way around: You don't get rid of strong arming and OAT by throwing putters 300 feet, you get a putter to fly 300 feet by getting rid of strong arming and OAT. =)

But joking aside, what sort of Comet did you try? At least a new Z Comet should be able to be thrown at least 200' by anyone with even a bit of experience (you can get drivers closer to 300'). If someone has that much OAT in their throw it feels like anything past 200' with any disc should be next to impossible.

I went through the same thing. Slower discs would turn over and dive into the ground. All about arm speed and form. I have been working on it and am throwing everything farther and cleaner. Funniest part is my longest throws have been when I don't feel like I am putting as much power on it. Clean form is the bomb! :) Good luck!

if you strong arm that is why you cant throw the comet. comets do not like to be strong armed

i'm going to buy a comet and a magic, but which weight and plastic would you recommend?

I want them to be quite durable but still do their job well (eliminate oat).

If you can still get the Limited Edition ESP Comets somewhere, those will be more durable than X Comets and less stable than Z Comets. Powergrip doesn't have them anymore, check Frisbeepoint or some other shop. Even the Z Comet will punish you for OAT though.

I would advise against a magic. they are fairly understable, so it will be hard to tell when it was OAT of a decent throw that would have worked with a more stable disc. I would try a regular aviar PnA, a voodoo, or an ion etc. basically any stable putter.

I would advise against a magic. they are fairly understable, so it will be hard to tell when it was OAT of a decent throw that would have worked with a more stable disc. I would try a regular aviar PnA, a voodoo, or an ion etc. basically any stable putter.

i meant to write OAT OR a decent throw