• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good putting %?

Apathy

Par Member
From 25' I typically putt between 65-68%.

Where would this rate: horrendous~Average~Strong

should be 65% from 30' to be above avg. your about avg. i would say.

but can you putt under that pressure if someone bangs 80' footer before you did like it was nothing would you miss your 12' footer?

If you hit 20 footers you will place
If you hit 30 footers you will place well and cash
If you hit 40 footers you will place on lead card

If you can hit all 3 at ~65-75% you will win.

Straddle putt bro. Don't fight it. :twisted:

Seriously, I switched to straddle putting and it really helped my consistency. You can basically take left to right out of the equation by releasing more on center. I think of putting like shooting a free throw, most free throws don't miss right or left. There's some more reasons straddling is better like . . . you can almost always straddle putt, jump putting is not as big of a transition, you can turn you back a little and throw elevators from a straddle stance (for 100 footers that won't miss far right or left). . . I could go on a on. It's really bumped my 'confidence ring' out a good ways.

65% from 25' = above average for advanced, around average for pros.

i don't know of anyone in the world who can hit 65-75% from 40'. cam used to hit about 40-50% from there and was the best putter in the world.

Feldberg is an amazing long putter, but 50% from 50' is asking a lot of anyone.

most people tend to only notice the long putts that go in... and there gets to be a somewhat inflated idea of what long putt make % is. putting percentages drop off HARD beyond the circle. you'll find guys who hit 90% from 30' and 30% from 38'.

you'll also find guys who get hot and hit 4 50'ers in a row, but if you had them throw 100 putts from that length, the percentage is going to be quite low for anyone/everyone.

now i'm certain that there's lots of guys who can hit metal say 50% from 40', but getting 50% to stick in is a much tougher challenge.

Plus you have to take in the situation when you're making that putt and, something major, how many times you actually end up with that long putt.

I'd bet that many of the good pro putters don't end up with long putts that much of the time. If it's a short hole, they should be 30' and in, if it's a long hole, then they're looking at a drive and approach, and the approach should put them within 30', so it's just the oddball situations when their drive or approach is off that they end up with the longer putt.

I would imagine only a handful in a round and perhaps a day of play would be long. The others would be short or drop-ins.

Golf-Distance said:
Straddle putt bro. Don't fight it. :twisted:

Seriously, I switched to straddle putting and it really helped my consistency. You can basically take left to right out of the equation by releasing more on center. I think of putting like shooting a free throw, most free throws don't miss right or left. There's some more reasons straddling is better like . . . you can almost always straddle putt, jump putting is not as big of a transition, you can turn you back a little and throw elevators from a straddle stance (for 100 footers that won't miss far right or left). . . I could go on a on. It's really bumped my 'confidence ring' out a good ways.

^ THIS ^
I switched to a straddle putt a few weeks ago and my accuracy and confidence have gone WAY up. I like this stance because i can spin putt, pitch putt, and throw an elevator from it depending on the situaton. I no longer miss putts to the left or right, when i do miss its either a spit out or a dreaded low putt :x that hits the bottom of the basket and falls straight down.

I think there is something missing here (it has been mentioned, but not made a point of).

Putting practice % is not even close to the same as tournament putting %. Practice has little to no perceived pressure (imo pressure is only real when we put it on ourselves) without cash money on the line. Tournament putting means you get THIS ONE, not another (well maybe, if you are not putting well), and certainly not another after that - I hope. The real way to track your putting % is to have a log for your competitive rounds with hits and misses and lengths. I don't know what that would do to the confidence factor though - which is a large part of putting well.

It would be interesting to hear the better putters (Feldberg and others) opinions on this, and if it is even worth tracking - the confidence factor again.

Thoughts?

Jordan

j_mardis said:
I think there is something missing here (it has been mentioned, but not made a point of).

Putting practice % is not even close to the same as tournament putting %. Practice has little to no perceived pressure (imo pressure is only real when we put it on ourselves) without cash money on the line. Tournament putting means you get THIS ONE, not another (well maybe, if you are not putting well), and certainly not another after that - I hope. The real way to track your putting % is to have a log for your competitive rounds with hits and misses and lengths. I don't know what that would do to the confidence factor though - which is a large part of putting well.

It would be interesting to hear the better putters (Feldberg and others) opinions on this, and if it is even worth tracking - the confidence factor again.

Thoughts?

Jordan

Definitely worth tracking, even just for fans and spectators to track stats. Look at baseball stats, why can't we have putting percents?

heh... the key to not choking during competition is to have no differentiation between practice putts and tournament putts. practice stats track peak ability, but it's the first putt from each set that is of greatest importance. practice putting teaches you to aim and what kind of expected technique failure you will have. tournament putting should be a reflection of said practice. if your putting tanks off during tournaments, you have a terrible tournament putting routine and you should change it.

i do log my make/miss % during competitive rounds and it's pretty reflective of my practice putting. i average making 15.4 out of 18 first putts inside 50' per round (and more than 95% of my come back putts). you can eliminate a few of those for being short/drop in range but also a lot of the misses are due to obstructed lines and/or weird positions and that's mixed in with the majority of the misses being on putts longer than 30'. i tend to hit metal on nearly everything within 40'.

all in all, if your routine sets you up to fail mentally, it's a bad routine.

as for what's been written about straddle putting, imo, stance is the least important part of putting. if you have a good stroke, putting stance really shouldn't matters as it's more of a factor of being able to weight shift and keep your positions aligned.

the 4 most common factors for missed putts putts are from mis-aiming, mis-reading the wind, not getting enough wrist extension, or having late wrist extension. shoulder chase is probably number 5.

I dont really putt any different in tournament then I do in practice. I occassionally will get nervous during tourney, mostly because of wind, but dont feel like it ever gets the better of me. Also in practice I reset and go through the same routine before every putt. Same as in tourney round.

Putting % jumps to 85% at 20' but also falls to 40% at 30'. I cant recall the last time I missed a comeback putt, though its probably more recently then I am thinking.

Main concern I have is I feel much more like I am throwing my putt then tossing it, if that makes sense. Either way hopefully putting will make perfect. When/If I get my 25' to 75% or better I am going to start doing my putting practice from 30'.

Thank you all for replies by the way.

Blake_T said:
as for what's been written about straddle putting, imo, stance is the least important part of putting. if you have a good stroke, putting stance really shouldn't matters as it's more of a factor of being able to weight shift and keep your positions aligned.

the 4 most common factors for missed putts putts are from mis-aiming, mis-reading the wind, not getting enough wrist extension, or having late wrist extension. shoulder chase is probably number 5.

totally agree on Stance.

one reason the pop-pitch putt is so effective is that is easy to reproduce under pressure. I used to have a long putting movement, it worked well when I was in the zone (as can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwKfX-Ukqi0) but if I was not in a good mental shape, I would not accelerate it enough and often be low/short

Since I have incorporated a more violent pop (look at dans putting vid) I seldom come up short due to pressure. I know I have to pop it to make my putt, because I dont have that long pitch anymore. I still can have bad putting days, but those occur when Im having a hard time focussing, and dont keep my mind on the task at hand, and as soon as I start focussing they start going in again.

My long putts have improved imensly because of this as well.

rehder said:
one reason the pop-pitch putt is so effective is that is easy to reproduce under pressure. I used to have a long putting movement, it worked well when I was in the zone (as can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwKfX-Ukqi0) but if I was not in a good mental shape, I would not accelerate it enough and often be low/short

Since I have incorporated a more violent pop (look at dans putting vid) I seldom come up short due to pressure. I know I have to pop it to make my putt, because I dont have that long pitch anymore. I still can have bad putting days, but those occur when Im having a hard time focussing, and dont keep my mind on the task at hand, and as soon as I start focussing they start going in again.

This is exactly what I've found.