• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good shoe for a wide foot?

ash81

Par Member
I currently have Merril hiking mid tops that are waterproof, but a bit much with shorts. Looking for something like Keen Salesman's, but finding a wide is limited.

Keen are pretty darned wide. I wear a 9.5 EEE dress shoe, and Saltzmans/Marshalls fit me fine. Teva Rivas as well -- good and wide. Both are durable and waterproof.

Keen are pretty darned wide. I wear a 9.5 EEE dress shoe, and Saltzmans/Marshalls fit me fine. Teva Rivas as well -- good and wide. Both are durable and waterproof.

I am willing to bet you have a wide forefoot but standard midfoot. I am a 9.5 4E and I cannot fit any of those shoes comfortably because I also have a wide midfoot with no arch.

There are really only two things I can wear. Asics all come wide enough in the midfoot, and the kahana is my favorite for disc golf. My new favorite are VANS MTE series, which are not hiking or trail shoes but have better grip than any other shoe I have worn and are waterproof.

I normally wear New Balance in 4E for regular shoes. My DG shoes right now are Merrell Moab Ventilators and they feel pretty wide. After 1.5 yrs I've noticed the start of front foot, little toe blow-out, but I'm attributing that to DG because it's not evident on the other shoe.
When I used to wear Nikes as regular shoes, I'd blow out both shoes at the little toe in short order, so the wear I'm seeing on the Merrells seems good for the pressure I'm putting on a DG shoe.
Admittedly I don't play more than twice a week in the nice weather, so maybe that has something to do with what I consider good wear.

I normally wear New Balance in 4E for regular shoes. My DG shoes right now are Merrell Moab Ventilators and they feel pretty wide. After 1.5 yrs I've noticed the start of front foot, little toe blow-out, but I'm attributing that to DG because it's not evident on the other shoe.
When I used to wear Nikes as regular shoes, I'd blow out both shoes at the little toe in short order, so the wear I'm seeing on the Merrells seems good for the pressure I'm putting on a DG shoe.
Admittedly I don't play more than twice a week in the nice weather, so maybe that has something to do with what I consider good wear.

Blowing out sides of the shoes is typically pronation and supination issues with the foot. I used to have this issue until I got insoles to correct that. Adidas are typically wider for me. I wear a size 13 and have never had a problem with them.

I am willing to bet you have a wide forefoot but standard midfoot. I am a 9.5 4E and I cannot fit any of those shoes comfortably because I also have a wide midfoot with no arch.

There are really only two things I can wear. Asics all come wide enough in the midfoot, and the kahana is my favorite for disc golf. My new favorite are VANS MTE series, which are not hiking or trail shoes but have better grip than any other shoe I have worn and are waterproof.

Does vans run these in wide widths??

It's tough to find shoes that fit. I wear New Balance 12 4E for regular and running shoes. For disc golf I have lately been wearing Merrill hiking boots. I went all over to find adequate hiking boots, and the Merrills were all I could find. I do find them to be quite comfortable and good for disc golf.

Thanks guys! The Merrel Moab mids are amazing, but I'm trying to get a sportier looking shoe vs the hiking look. I know function is what matters, but I like a good looking shoe too. Maybe the Moab ventilators or waterproof short? I think Keen makes a wide, but it's a utility shoe. Not for certain. I'll look into some of the others.

Thanks guys! The Merrel Moab mids are amazing, but I'm trying to get a sportier looking shoe vs the hiking look. I know function is what matters, but I like a good looking shoe too. Maybe the Moab ventilators or waterproof short? I think Keen makes a wide, but it's a utility shoe. Not for certain. I'll look into some of the others.

Keen makes a wide waterproof called the Koven, but not a sporty looking shoe (hiker like the Moabs and also not quite as wide as I would like). I am a big proponent of spikeless ball golf shoes. You can very often find them in wide and ball golf shoes are usually waterproof because they are leather, not because of a membrane. New balance makes one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011Y7ZH4Q...olid=NZ2UYHV19KZP&coliid=I3BD5C1G4CNN9H&psc=1

And they also make a Vibram soled regular shoe in the exact same style for the not so wet days. Here is another non waterproof that has a Vibram sole but comes in 4e. You can probably find a better price if you do a little searching.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B00Z7KLLC4/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good wide waterproof disc golf shoes are a pain in the ass to find. And to those who say the regular Keens are wide, you don't have wide feet. I own some Keens in wide, and even they are a little tight. Dress shoes are really not a good measure of the type of running/trail shoe you will wear. Dress shoes are often designed more for appearance and less for the actual shape of your foot. So you might have to get a wide because the toe area is just poorly designed. But a person with an actual wide foot knows they can't just walk into a shoe store and buy a regular size pair of shoes without going up to two full sizes higher to get the width they need. I am obsessed with proper fitting shoes and I literally spend months trying to find new shoes at a decent price (since I rarely want to pay full price for something that comes in 4e).

Last edited:
Does vans run these in wide widths??

Nope, but because they have flat soles the width runs through the midfoot. After that they stretch to fit your feet like Chucks. Get a pair on zappos so you can return them if they don't fit, but I'm pretty sure if they fit my foot they will work for you.

Nope, but because they have flat soles the width runs through the midfoot. After that they stretch to fit your feet like Chucks. Get a pair on zappos so you can return them if they don't fit, but I'm pretty sure if they fit my foot they will work for you.

Amazon has free return shipping also.

Latest posts