• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good Stable-Understable Fairway Driver

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
Over this season, Z Preds have taken over my bag. I carry 3, ranging from flat and red/pink for uber-overstability to super beat yellow for straight shots. I'm a mold minimalist when possible, and so am looking for a disc to fill the rest of my fairway duties.

I need something that starts dead nuts straight, erroring on the side of understability, that will beat into a control turnover. I've tried XLs, Eagle-Ls and TLs, but both start out at a similar stability to my beat Z Pred, and so I never end up throwing them enough to beat them into a turning driver.

Thinking of trying Leopards. I used to use FLX Avenger SS for similar duties, so I may get back to those. Tried a couple Rivers and just didn't like them. Maybe Star Roadrunners? I keep one in the bag now for rollers and big anhyzers, but it's pretty beat, so I'm wondering how a newer RR would fly.

Any other suggestions?

I would suggest getting a 173-175 Champ/Star Leopard...I had a Star 166g Leopard and it got way too flippy for me...took it out and put in a 9x KC Pro Eagle L..thing is a beast and still very stable...

Yeah I'd go with the leopard. I've only ever thrown a Pro, and it was dead straight all the way until I lost it. It held hyzers and anhyzers really well too. It's an awesome disc.

pro leopard will give you instant gratification. XLs are good have you tried any in Elite X plastic?

Never thrown one, but sounds like a TD (turning driver) from Discmania could fit the bill. Maybe some Discmania throwers could chime in about that one.

It really sounds like you're describing a star TL but obviously the Leopard is great too. Premium plastic 175g Leos usually start out neutral on a 325' throw and can be thrown on smooth turnovers at 350'+ straight out of the box. The TL takes a little working to get to that point, but it's a great disc all through it's life cycle, and way better for really long tight straight shots than a beat Pred. The Roadrunner and Avenger SS are probably less versatile. If you're looking to keep your minimalist approach going, the TL is the best option, but the Leo is a close second.

X Avenger

Do you use or have you tried the Z Pred and Z Avenger combo? If your Pred is beat, then it is probably close to a newish Z Avenger. But an X Avenger will beat in quickly to become a turnover driver, but it still recovers well, meaning it doesn't just flip over...sorta S curvish. Plus, the Predator and Avenger really feel about the same, so you aren't learning a brand new mold or disc.

pro leopard will give you instant gratification. XLs are good have you tried any in Elite X plastic?

These ^ are my favorite options for this. I go Leopard though; as while they do vary a bit on plastic; I've only really ever cared for the X-XL. Then again; I really favor the pro Leopards and don't bother carrying the other plastics anyway so; can't go wrong either way.

Pro Leopard
Elite X XL

Get one of the newer Opaque Champion Leopards. Very straight and stable and actually quite hard to turnover when new and with clean form. As it beats in it gets that very gentle turn with straight finish like an old TeeBird.

A C-Line TD is similar but faster and much longer.

I've recently started using an ESP Avenger SS. I normally prefer Z plastic from Discraft, but the ESP Avenger SS has been flying awesome for me!

These ^ are my favorite options for this. I go Leopard though; as while they do vary a bit on plastic; I've only really ever cared for the X-XL. Then again; I really favor the pro Leopards and don't bother carrying the other plastics anyway so; can't go wrong either way.

Pro Leopard
Elite X XL

^Winner^
I would also agree with A-SS, RR, X Avengers (seasoned), BUT you said fairways. Pretty sure speed 9+ isn't a fairway. But Pro Leopards are sweet & X XL's are awesome too after they beat a little

hey, where is the teebird love?

ive had a few champs and im so happy with the way they beat in. they start stable and as they beat they gain glide and a bit of turn - and lose their fade.

i have had a echo star and i felt like it had less glide and more fade, and i hear great things about the glide of a DX... but im not into dx discs.

How about a river? It has a slight turn to it and the Gold Line will beat into a nice turnover driver.

Champ Eagle-L way better than a leopard and goes like hell. Once you break it in it is hell awesome

See what your friends use and try them out. There are some wierd suggestions on this thread based on what you are looking for.