• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gore Tex in DG shoes

Jimmy

Eagle Member
I've decided to get some shoes just for DG, as I'm sick of slipping and losing traction in regular running shoes. Salomon XA 3D Pro's.
I live in Las Vegas and rarely play in wet weather. Occasionally, the course will be wet from the sprinklers, but rarely. How much of a difference do you think Gore Tex lining will make when it comes to temperature (cooler is better), slight moisture, fit (I've heard the Gore Tex doesn't break in as easily as the one without), and other factors. Any opinions or shared experiences would be appreciated.

I bought a pair of Merrills a while back after seeing a few local guys with em. Lil pricey, but I decided why not. It was a little extra for the ones with Gore-tex lining... but I went for it.
Glad I did. Ive worn the pair I got over a year ago to work, disc golf, EVERY tournament, more work, in the rain, going out at night..
I wear them almost 90% of the time.
They're comfortable as hell, and I can't tell you how many times the Gore-tex has kept my feet dry and comfortable.

Doesn't matter if you get Merrills or any other brand. IF they have a pair with Gore-tex lining, I'd spend the extra cash to get it. IT's WELL worth it and mine broke in to be one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes Ive prolly ever owned.
I'm looking to buy another pair in a couple of months and use the ones Ive got now as backups to get thrown in my truck to be pulled out in extremely sloppy days.

I've found that fit depends a lot more on the design of the shoe than whether or not it has Gore-tex or not. FWIW, I have narrow feet and have difficulty finding shoes that fit without tearing up my heel.

I used the last pair of DG shoes I had for 2 seasons and they weren't Gore-tex. It sounds like I played in a lot more wet condidtions than you will, too. As long as you don't mind having soggy feet every once in a while it isn't that big of a deal. They worked fine for me and the only reason I'm getting rid of them is that the cushioning is shot. I can't play a round in them without my feet aching anymore.

the gortex liners are pretty weak if you play in really wet conditions. I'd suggest getting gortex socks for 40 bucks and saving the extra 20 per shoe for the liner. I've had my current gortex socks for over a year and am very pleased. I'd go with rocky socks over seal skins anyday too.

The liners do not breath very well for hot summer rounds, but they do make the shoes hold together longer. However, at that point you should be switching out your shoes due to the supportive structure of it breaking down.

I've enjoyed the Goretex shoes that I've tried. I've exclaimed about them in the other shoe thread but I'll add here that I survived Bonnaroo '05 quite comfortably with them. I'm talking about massive mud puddles and sweltering heat but my foot were always comfortable.

plastic_fondler said:
the gortex liners are pretty weak if you play in really wet conditions. I'd suggest getting gortex socks for 40 bucks and saving the extra 20 per shoe for the liner. I've had my current gortex socks for over a year and am very pleased. I'd go with rocky socks over seal skins anyday too.
Funny because I would say that GoreTex built into the shoe is far and away superior to the GTX socks when it comes to comfort and coolness of the foot. Also, I have never had water soak through any pair I have owned, and I do play in severely wet conditions at times.

In Vegas I'd doubt waterproofing is necessary at all though.

The only downside to Goretex that I've found is added weight. The first pair of DG-specific shoes I bought were Merrell Chameleons...then I got a pair of Merrell Chameleon GTXs a while later. The GTX version was noticeably heavier, but well worth it to keep my feet dry (especially in the summer time...when you play in 100 degree heat after accidentally soaking your feet in a puddle or creek, its like walking barefoot in a swamp).

Merrell chamelion XCR were much heavier and were much hotter than the non XCR. I love the chamelion stretch non XCR.

I just bought some salomons with goreTex and the are not any heavier than any other ttail running shoe and are much more breathable. I have yet to play in 90°+ weather so we'll see on that, but I have played a couple times in the 70 and 80 and they were great.

Salomons get a little sweaty in 90+, but is isn't as unbearable as a lot of other GTX shoes.

with goretex liners there's a certain combination of temperature and exertion level where my feet stay "dry" (moist) and comfortable but beyond that my feet sweat and the shoes get wet from the inside. for me that's preferable to having cold water come in from the outside (from rain, puddles, morning dew, etc.)... but this summer i may look for something more breathable, that might let water in but which also lets air in to help dry the feet.

I guess goretex shoes function well...as long as you don't step in anything higher than the top of your shoe...cuz then they'll fill with water, and the shoe won't let the water out. :shock:

GT socks rule for wet outdoor stuff.

good things:

goretex will keep your feet dry in light rain.
good for accidently stepping in a puddle or something (not so good if you get soaked).
they do stay together longer.
they tend to fit a little more comfortably (for me) because they don't have shoe tongues hanging all over the place and other parts sticking out and bothering me like some other shoes.
you'll always be dressed for the weather (in the shoe department).

bad things:

when it rains HARD, you're screwed. the goretex doesn't make a difference except maybe to keep your feet dry LONGER, but they'll eventually get wet.
then they take forever to dry out. they're heavier than breatheable shoes.
sweat doesn't have anywhere to evaporate with the goretex. your feet can get a little moist by the end of a tournament.

readysetstab said:
sweat doesn't have anywhere to evaporate with the goretex. your feet can get a little moist by the end of a tournament.
The idea of goretex is to let the moisture out, not in ;)

Moisture vapor, but not water. You can fill up a Sealskin, and it holds water nicely. lol

tumpsi said:
readysetstab said:
The idea of goretex is to let the moisture out, not in ;)

you're talking about the disign of the goretex, but not actually how it performs ;)

Goretex may or may not allow vapor to transfer depending several conditions: Temperature gradient between the inside and outside of the membrane. Saturation level of the surface material. Cleanliness of the surface material. Etc...

you said something about them not breaking in fast. sometimes if i have shoes i put them in the microwave for like 15-20 seconds and put on thick socks when they get done put them on right away then stand under a doorways and push your hands on the top of the doorway and push as hard as you can. this helps my shoes break in a lot quicker.