• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy Disc Sports

Should Chris make the secondary color Black

• Yes

Votes: 78 69.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters
you in the austin area booter?!?!?

if you saw a maroon and grey simian that would have been me. If it was orange and grey that would be my buddy matt (the old kid) otherwise I have no idea.

not trying to hijack the thread....now go buy a shirt and a simian everyone and be happy

are you ever going to make bags with a different secondary color besides gray? I would really like to get a bag with black as the accent color.

Frank Delicious said:
are you ever going to make bags with a different secondary color besides gray? I would really like to get a bag with black as the accent color.

IDK.... I might end up doing some thing different in the future, but as of right now I dont really have any plans for it

Got to play my first real rain round with the Simian yesterday, and it was a REAL rain round, lemme tell ya. We have an annual tournament here that's the NW doubles championship, and it was about as NW as it gets weather wise. Gallons of water coming down yesterday, and at times, sideways.

For the most part, the Simian was awesome in the rain. Like all backpacks, it kept my straps out of the muck, which was a lifesaver in itself. Also, having the discs arranged they way they are, you didn't have to worry about water seeping up through the bottom of the bag and soaking your discs that way. For the second round, we actually had some good periods of daybreak, and I put the umbrella away, it rode great in the umbrella straps. Before, with my regular type bags, I either elected to just carry my umbrella, or slide it through loops in my quadshocks. Depending on the bag, most designers want you to have your wet umbrella riding right against your back/butt, which just seems counter intuitive to me. With the other GB bags, the umbrella rides on the outside, which is a logical place, but just because of the nature of standard bags pulling the weight low and away from you, I found having the umbrella there just increased that effect. With the Simian though, since the weight is high and tight against your back, the umbrella really wasn't noticeable at all when it was strapped in.

Another great thing was being able to have a stool at all times even with an umbrella. Before, I found carrying an umbrella and a stool was just too cumbersome and I'd have to pick one or the other. No such troubles now. Also, I remember somebody worrying a while back about the padding getting wet on the seat, I don't forsee any problem with that myself. My seat was pretty much dry by the end of the second round (until it started pouring on us again.)

Oh yeah, and thanks to Chris's shiny grommets in the cupholders, I didn't have puddles of water in them! :D

There were a couple smaller issues I had, and one big one, though. Smaller issues were that with the rain gear and all in my bag, plus water and coffee, plus the umbrella strapped on, the bag gets heavy. It's not a problem when it's on your back, I seriously feel like I could walk miles with it on, even with a full load. As Chuck observed though, putting the bag on, while not really a big deal, is more effort than putting on a regular bag with quads. So if I had a 100 ft walk or so to the next lie or tee, I either had the option of lugging it one handed, or slinging it on again. One quick and easy solution I found was to sling both straps over one shoulder, and it rode pretty well that way.

The big issue I had, was with the quads again. The rain may have assisted in the minor disaster, but basically, what happened was that in slinging the pack onto my shoulders, the "yolk" part of the quad schocks slid right through the velcro harness point so that the shoulder strap was actually in the harness area. I'm sure it would have been comical to watch, but near as I can figure, as I was getting a strap on one shoulder, the bag was perpendicular to my body, and the opening pointing towards the ground. As I was saying "WTF?", trying to figure out what happened, I also saw that all my discs had spilled out onto the ground. I had to squat down and do an emergency repair job in the fairway, in the middle of a deluge--not the best moment in the day. Maybe having the newer quads would help with this, but I'm not sure. Though dgdave and others have said that the bag rides better with quads, I'm thinking the answer may be to just use the straps it came with--whodathunkit? The real advantage of the GB straps is that they actually attach to the bag, i.e. there are strips of webbing that are actually sewn to the bag itself. With the quads, they're held in place by friction in the top velcro point, which allows the left to right motion, which led to my minor disaster in the fairway. When I fixed it, I tightened the velcro as much as I could, and that helped a lot, but there was still the play in there. This morning, I put on the GB straps and they feel much more secure. And, actually, for me, I think the bag might ride better with the GB straps too (I'm avg. sized 5'11", 165 lbs or so, if that makes a difference.) Plus, the GB straps have a lot bigger range of adjustability from what I can tell. Heh, there was a dude about dgdave's proportions at the tourney who tried to put my bag on with the straps adjusted to my frame--it was comical. :lol:

So yeah, I think even though the quads look slicker and everything, I think for me, the GB straps may very well be the solution to my issues, which is heartening, b/c I didn't especially want to buy new quads right now.

Chris, a couple suggestions: Don't give up on the strap making. I think I remember you saying that straps were one of the things you weren't good at, hence no GB branded quads, and longer R&D times for the Simian. What you've made here are totally functional and seem like they should do the job well. And with the removability, down the road when you've honed your strap making skills, you could make a "premium" set of straps that people could buy and upgrade their Simians. Sort of like how Revo has the "fatty strap" you can buy if you want.

Secondly, with these guys requesting bags with black instead of gray--that's something to consider too. I think my navy/gray bag looks dope as it is (it's like I have the Civil War on my back!), but think about doing limited runs of certain colors/combinations. One thing that the guys at Fade do that I think is smart marketing is their limited edition bags...I know there's one with skulls embroidered on it, and another with a tribal design or something. There may be more, but it's apparent people like limited edition stuff, and may even be willing to pay a (small) premium for it.

Just food for thought. Speaking of which, I need coffee.

Jesse B 707 said:
you have my vote for changing the second color to black :)

black is the new black, man.

I'd vote for a secondary color of black, even if it's just for a limited edition run :D

I had a back with black as a secondary color (original Chimp, Black/Yellow for the Hawkeyes). Granted, that's back when Chris used to make bags to order...

after seeing my buddies orange and grey simian, I think a balck and orange simian would be the bees knees. I would part with my proto and drop the $215 for an orange/black simian

if posts count as a poll id say the customers want Black, Maybe after you use up your current stock of gray you should re-up with some black yo :wink:

Jesse B 707 said:
if posts count as a poll id say the customers want Black, Maybe after you use up your current stock of gray you should re-up with some black yo :wink:

A poll you say?

Jesse B 707 said:

by my count thats 4 of you who want black as a second color.......not really tipping the scales there :roll:

I am considering doing "limited edition" runs of bags with special logos, color schemes, and so on :wink: