• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy spider monkey vs. Revo Mini

I have the revo mini and quadshocks. I dont use them on the mini, but have and it was nice. The regular strap is easier for me to just pick up and slip over my shoulder rather than put my arms through the quads, so I use the regular strap. I see many people around here using a small bag with quads....probably the heat.

I usually only put the quads on both shoulders if I'm walking up hill or for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise I just slip one of the quad loops over my shoulder and carry my bag like that. So, the quads are there if I need them, otherwise I have my bag slung over one shoulder.

I have a Revo Mini with a single strap and a Revo Texas with quads... I would use the quads on the Mini if I was going to carry it around all day. With 10 discs it's plenty light for the single strap but when you add 32oz of water too, it starts to feel heavy after a couple hours. The strap that comes with the Mini isn't as beefy or grippy as the one that comes with the Texas, so it tends to slip off your shoulder if you're wearing a slippery jacket (I have the Texas strap on there now, which works, but obviously quads would solve this problem too).

discmonkey42 said:
majorsick said:
is it overkill for the minibag?

Yes.

I don't think it is overkill, but maybe I am just a wuss. I put some on my Revo Mini the last few days and it has been really nice. I also stuff the thing with 11 discs and carry two water bottles in it (one in the bottle holder and one in the side pocket), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Does anyone have any pics of the Revo Mini, beyond what is shown on their website. I'm trying to get a feel for the size, how it would carry, disc orientation, etc.

I can shoot some pics of mine but it will be a couple of days... I have work today and a tourney this weekend.

pic.php

pic.php

Those pics show 10 discs total. Wizard in the putter pocket. A wizard, warlock, 2 x Z buzzz's, meteor, crush, qolf, solf, and ols in the main body. The garorade is a 32 oz. Decent size side pocket. Internal frame.

Thanks for the pics discmonkey. Is it possible to load the discs the other way? Also, does the flap on top have a strap to keep it rolled?

Sorry for all the questions!

Chris

no to both of those questions, but in my experience, the flap's never been a problem. If you fold it back it stays or you can tuck it in.

Especially after seeing the pics, I really think there's no comparison. I own a Revolution Pro Bag and love it. It's exactly the same design as the Carolina but with not-as-stong Cordura. It seems quite strong, though. I'm very impressed with Revolution so far. The larger side pocket is great, I tend to have keys, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses case, and at least 127 other pieces of crap that I fill it with. The water bottle holder on the Gorilla Boy seems better though, similar to those on the larger Revo. bags.

Well here are pictures of the GBDS Spider Monkey I had made for my daughters 5th birthday. This is a new design for the Spider Monkey and I have to say it is very impressive. If it wasn't so pink I may even use it for those smaller courses. :lol:

pfront.jpg

popen.jpg

ptop.jpg

I'm sure Chris will tell us all what changes have been made to the design.

is that a zippered pocket on the side w/ the mesh one? not having somewhere safe for sunglasses/keys is my only complaint about the spider monkey, so w/ that fixed does that make the bag perfect?

Thatdirtykid said:
is that a zippered pocket on the side w/ the mesh one? not having somewhere safe for sunglasses/keys is my only complaint about the spider monkey, so w/ that fixed does that make the bag perfect?

Why yes that is a zippered pocket on the side. It is very roomy as well its the full width of the bag

kvanorsdel said:
I'm sure Chris will tell us all what changes have been made to the design.

I moved the zipper pocket from the opposite side of the putter pocket to the back end of the bag it's the same size pocket as on all my other bags only it's half the width..and I changed the top so it better matches my whole line of bags which also makes it way easy to get in and out of.also added flaps on the inside of the bag to hold the bag around the frame better...

I'm also going to be releasing a deluxe version of the spider monkey some time soon (still working on what to call it)