• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GPS maps of courses?

Bald Paul

Just starting out in the sport, and decided to walk the amateur tees at the local course. Of course, some of the signs were down, and I found the map of the course wasn't totally accurate. I was walking with my GPS and marked the tees and baskets, as well as the track I took to find them.
Has anyone else done this, or am I just that directionally challenged? I've attached screen shots of the track I walked finding the tees and baskets, and the actual route, which is about 1/2 mile shorter.

Attachments

• Track.JPG
    Track.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Route.JPG
    Route.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 46
To me, GPS isn't the most accurate method for finding hole distances to the exact foot. Even with a GPS that is accurate to within 10 feet, when measuring the distance between two points, you could be off as much as 20 feet.

If you use high end GPS equipment you can get accuracy to a few inches. One of our local disc golfers is a GPS survey equipment salesman and some of the gps units he has are amazing.

To me, GPS isn't the most accurate method for finding hole distances to the exact foot. Even with a GPS that is accurate to within 10 feet, when measuring the distance between two points, you could be off as much as 20 feet.

Its really not that bad anymore. Your GPS location on mobile often is right on point.

It would be a nice tool to at least make an accurate map of the layout, distances from teepad to basket would be a secondary objective for me. I'd love to take my work's Trimble GPS unit to our courses and do a quick map on ArcGIS one of thses days, but id oubt they;d let me. I may do it after work one day with and of the handheld units. May not be as accurate as the expensive Trimble Unit, but it would be leaps and bounds better than 90% of the course map's I've seen.

It would be a nice tool to at least make an accurate map of the layout, distances from teepad to basket would be a secondary objective for me. I'd love to take my work's Trimble GPS unit to our courses and do a quick map on ArcGIS one of thses days, but id oubt they;d let me. I may do it after work one day with and of the handheld units. May not be as accurate as the expensive Trimble Unit, but it would be leaps and bounds better than 90% of the course map's I've seen.

That was my objective. I was actually following a 'map' of the course layout while on my track, looking for each tee and basket. As you can tell, there was a bit of wandering around with that :confused: look on my face. I'll start worrying about accurate distances from tee to basket when I start throwing in the right general direction.

Latest posts