• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

grip pressure?

JR said:
Jesse B 707 said:
JR said:
Jesse B 707 said:
it's funny cuz the two guys who have recommended that i grip super hard happen to be the two people i know who throw the farthest :? but after months of clamping the shit out of my discs i actually felt like my distance had declined so i started giving the loose method a try yesterday and BOOM! an extra 30~50 feet of D appeared and i was getting my wraiths out to 430~450 on my best pulls. I dont know how those guys are throwing so far with a super hard grip (ive seen one of them throw 600 feet on several occaisions)

It'd be interesting to hear from them if they clamp down hard already at the reach back or just coming in to the hit.
all the way through

At least they're able to keep the dis oriented right but it must be nice to be able to throw far with immense power. That's what it takes to be able to get plyometric extension with stiff muscles. Or they don't get much of it at all. Little to no wrist motion from acceleration. Which makes things even more impressive. Would like to know how they get discs that far.
the wind is obviously a factor in the intances that ive seen him throw ~600 but still im lucky if i can squeeze out 425~450 in the same wind

Beetard said:
Good poll, good discussion topic. I agree 100% with Aaron on this. Hold the disc "like a bird; hard enough to keep it from getting away but not hard enough to hurt it."

(stole that line from somewhere, but can't remember where.)

Jack Nicklaus said that about gripping a club properly.

Beetard:

Quote: Good poll, good discussion topic. I agree 100% with Aaron on this. Hold the disc "like a bird; hard enough to keep it from getting away but not hard enough to hurt it."

That line came from a gentleman by the name of Harvey Penick. He was the late (ball) golf instructor of Ben Crenshaw. It refers to the amount of pressure needed to properly hold a golf club. Now he might have borrowed that line from someone but I know for sure he used that exact language in his instructional books.

Rocaholic74 said:
Beetard:

Quote: Good poll, good discussion topic. I agree 100% with Aaron on this. Hold the disc "like a bird; hard enough to keep it from getting away but not hard enough to hurt it."

That line came from a gentleman by the name of Harvey Penick. He was the late (ball) golf instructor of Ben Crenshaw. It refers to the amount of pressure needed to properly hold a golf club. Now he might have borrowed that line from someone but I know for sure he used that exact language in his instructional books.

Welcome.

The article section of this site suggests a hard grip for disc golf. Seems to give a bit of extra D for me when I try to grip tighter in the end of the throw. I suspect that my grip is still a bit too loose but I gotta develop muscles first to solve that :)

Pressure on the disc is something I have to really be conscious of. When going for maximum distance on open holes, if I grip too tightly I get what I would consider huge grip lock and the disc takes off like a rocket at a forty-five degree angle. With a looser grip, I get a much smoother and easier release.

JerryH said:
Pressure on the disc is something I have to really be conscious of. When going for maximum distance on open holes, if I grip too tightly I get what I would consider huge grip lock and the disc takes off like a rocket at a forty-five degree angle. With a looser grip, I get a much smoother and easier release.

Dave McCormack said that once you get grip locks loosen the grip just a bit and that's the pressure. Practice has shown this to be partially wrong or correct depending on how you look at it.

You can get grip locks with not that hard of a pressure. When it happens at the wrong place and possibly at the wrong time might also have some influence on whether the throw sticks to the fingers. I've been able to squeeze as hard as I can between index and thumb and index and the base of the index finger without grip locks. As long as other fingers are loose.

For reference: Yesterday I amazed myself with a fluke shot in rain with a wet disc with two finger grip that I had to pinch hard so that the disc didn't slip out. The Flex performance plastic in Timberwolf 169 is the second grippiest premium plastic I've touched. Only gummy Q has a better grip. Unless you count FLX to be a premium plastic then FP would be third.

My jaw dropped when I measured my throw at 393' and it's flat ground. It was a hybrid between a maximum distance anny and a golf s-curve. Apex about 17-19' moved 60' to the right of the initial line. No wind. I've never thrown a fairway driver nearly as far. I got the Timberwolf and my 166 * Eagle without flashing to 360' on golf s-curves and once on a line drive with the Timberwolf many times. That's about the maximum I can expect in shot planning so 340' is more like it. I threw from a mat designed for javelin throwers so the great shoe to ground grip may have helped. Despite being wet it was very grippy. Normal x steps except starting slow and really accelerating after the x(second) step.

Many may not know the Timberwolf. When new ( I sanded half of the flashing off afterwards but haven't yet thrown it) it's less HSS and LSS than a 166 Star Eagle without flashing. And on average 10-15' longer (despite the Eagle being 3 grams lighter) with the ability to go even further beyond the * Eagle perfect throw vs prefect throw.

I was one of the few who put as hard as I can in the poll.

The reason for this is at the hit, that is exactly what I am doing. During my runup and reachback, my grip is relaxed. As the disc passes accross my burly chest, I tighten my grip to maximum pressure. I do not have problems with grip lock and seem to get a consistent release with good pop this way.