• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

that's a really nice looking bag and the zipper pulls are a great addition. i want one.

the linoleum aint bad either.

My new Mahal bag has been put in storage in favor of the old Revo bag.

A couple things I liked about the Mahal:

Basically it seems like a well made and designed bag.

It is easy to see all your discs. In the Revo bag's main compartment you cannot see the discs on the edges as the top of the bag blocks the view. Since many of my discs are bright colors in the red/orange/pink shades (and even the same color of the same run of certain favorites) it makes it hard to find the disc you are looking for. Many times I feel that short moment of panic where I think I have lost a particular disc but it just is hiding in the bag, evading my search. With the Mahal all the discs in the main compartment are easily visible. For the first time in my golf career I started arranging discs in particular order in the bag, making them even easier to locate.

The space on the outside of the main compartment (which has a weird velcro closure, evidently designed to hold an umbrella) is perfect for holding a scorecard/clipboard or a mitten.

The retractable side pockets are a brilliant design. Unfortunately I carry so much stuff and so many discs they are always extended.

My problems with the Mahal:

It is TOO LARGE and TOO HEAVY. For years I have used a camp stool to keep by bag out of the dirt and save my back. The Mahal is so wide and tall that it is hard to balance on a stool (especially on side hills) and gets blown off the stool in strong winds.

The bag itself is heavier than a Revo Carolina and in total holds more stuff (which, of course, I fill to the brim) The weight is not that important when you are carrying the Mahal with both shoulder straps and the chest strap and the waist strap all engaged. But we pick and put down our bags a few times every hole, all day long. I almost never used the waist or chest straps. The bag is hard for me to get over both shoulders so I ended up carrying it on one shoulder most of the time. Now the added weight did matter and it felt like a ton by the end of the day.

I had only used the Mahal for a few days and had a tournament coming up that weekend. I decided to go back to the Revo for the tournament and was delighted how much lighter and easier the Revo/Phenix straps were. Even in strong winds the Revo did not get blown off the stool and two rounds in the tournament seemed to be easier on my shoulders than one practice round with the Mahal.

As the shoulder straps of the Mahal break in I think they will become more flexible and easier to get in and out of but I don't think they will ever get as easy as the Revo. I know that straps can be fiddled with to loosen and tighten them but that is too much effort every time I want to pick up or put down a bag. I think the Mystery Ranch company makes mostly backpacks, which by their nature, do not get picked and put down as often as a golf bag.

Thank you for the review Mark. I'm now hesitant to get this bag because of the things you stated. I just wish I knew someone with one so that I could try it and see. ~300 bones seems like a gamble to just "try" something.

i love mine...th at bis all. No problems with theweight,toppling over,or anything else. I use the waist straps,that are meant to help the weight distribution,and havent felt better. Mihgt not be for everyone but its for me

Mark Ellis said:
weight is not that important when you are carrying the Mahal with both shoulder straps and the chest strap and the waist strap all engaged. But we pick and put down our bags a few times every hole, all day long. I almost never used the waist or chest straps. The bag is hard for me to get over both shoulders so I ended up carrying it on one shoulder most of the time. Now the added weight did matter and it felt like a ton by the end of the day.

This is the same reason I want to get a backpack style bag to replace my Revo Carolina bag. 90% of the time I carry it on one shoulder, and the weight distribution is awkward and uncomfortable. I'm hoping that the Grip will work out better. We'll see. I'm on the waitlist for the second round.

Carrying anything on one shoulder gives you CANCER! Well maybe not cancer, but serious back trouble in the long run. MAYBE CANCER!

For me, once the yoke is adjusted and I tighten the shoulder straps this bag rides like it's nothing for me. I will admit it is tedious to constantly tighten/loosen them. I don't use the waist or chest strap either. I too toss it on one shoulder for very close walks and it wants to slide right off.

Hey Golf Mahalics...

Has anyone messed around with putting a frame into the main compartment? I know Booter was thinking about it.

Unless ubolan on keeping the side compartments fully expanded the fram wouldnt work for the side. And the frame for tye center isnt because its not stable. Its for the bottom. The bottom has no structurr so it sags and im not too fond of that. Thats what the frame would be for

Well I love my bag! I don't like the saggy bottom either. I did my own version of rhino liner on my fade bag may do it to the mahal too. The only thing I would like better, is if the cool factor my bag has, helped me make more putts! Really there is nothing about the mahal I don't like. My pencil fits really nice in the Velcro where the umberla would go.and I got a clip board for score cards. If you are looking at new bags and your not cheap get a mahal you won't be sorry!

Booter said:
Unless ubolan on keeping the side compartments fully expanded the fram wouldnt work for the side. And the frame for tye center isnt because its not stable. Its for the bottom. The bottom has no structurr so it sags and im not too fond of that. Thats what the frame would be for

Booter, we've all been talking ...and we think it's time you put down the 40. This is your intervention.

My grip is really starting to wear out. The sharp corners on the supports has ripped and frayed at every corner. Theses sharp areas have caused a majority of the wear and tear outside the initial poor stitching. I'm just praying it holds up until the new shipment if it even happens by may 31. I really enjoy the bag it is just a shame how shitty the construction was. I hope they fix the sharp liners in the new shipment

zj, can you explain a little more what parts of the bag you're talking about? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. I don't have a first run bag but I'm on the waiting list for a second run...

Sounds like the golf Mahal is the best quality bag ever made, but it's just a ridiculous amount of bag and too much of a hassle to use. I plan to get a Grip bag but don't want quality issues with a bag that expensive. Maybe I'll just have to wait until Grip gets it right :cry:

The bag has plastic supports/liners that help keep the bag in it's intended shape. All the corners on these inner supports have sharp edges that have been slowly cutting the corners on the bag. Hopefully the round these out or the new material improves this problem

So it's cutting the material that he's changing from 1680D polyester to 1000D cordura? Has J@ had anything to say about the issue? I'd be afraid of that same issue in the 2nd run bags considering how the Revo plastic frame does the same thing to the bottom of their bags, and that's double-layered truck vinyl.

Do we know for sure what material the Jenkins/Doss bags were made of. I'm wondering why they wouldn't have seen issues like that in the protos.

Jeronimo said:
Booter said:

Booter, we've all been talking ...and we think it's time you put down the 40. This is your intervention.
Hahaha I wish this frickn phone had spell check

Latest posts