• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Ranger

Here is my .02.

With having tried many of the current backpack style disc golf bags on the market (Ranger, Simian, Grip, Contender 2, Flak 3) I would say the grip is the best and most comfortable bag I have found.

After all the deliberation on Ranger v. Grip, I think I'm leaning towards the Black/Grey Grip. Aesthetically, functionally, durability...all seem like a win for Grip.

The quasar blue or whatever it is is sick.

I've seen 1 maybe 2 Rangers here in Louisville and multiple Grips. I haven't worn any of them, but pix on the web and seeing the Ranger in person, it has just always looked kind of cheap to me. Something about the quilted padding of DD's bags just looks awful to me. I do agree the Quasar Blue looks great and it disguises the quilted material much better than the basic black, but for that much money I wouldn't drop on something made of the lesser quality cordura.

I was able to get my ranger for $140 New, so that was a no brainer. I like it, have had issues with it leaning that I've noticed. If the bottoms wears through, I'll try to get it warrantied, and if that doesn't work, I plan on replacing the bottom with tougher material.
As for the rain fly...I don't play in the rain, so that doesn't do anything for me, so no need for an umbrella either...I love my ranger. Not much else to it...

I have both. Had the Ranger before the Grip A and I love them each for their strong qualities. Grip is more compact and much less top heavy when loaded. Putter pocket is easy to get putters in and out. Storage is good compared to quad style bags but I don't see fitting a full size long sleeve in without a really tight fit. But they are deep and hold quite a bit with good inner pockets. And the Grip sits very well on the bag and carrying 18 discs does not feel like the same as a trad quad style bag.

Ranger is more square but I love the space. The top compartment holds a ton. Want more space for discs, top can be filled. Need a six pack? Top. Sweatshirt got hot? Top. The Ranger rides very well even when overloaded and top heavy.

Disc capacity is good with both, stool section yes, beverages yes but the Ranger only has one holder(top is available though), towel clip Ranger yes and Grip solution in my signature(buy one today), both stylish bags with color options! Plenty of pockets on each.

Cons is Ranger still needs help on their bottom corners, Grip storage is awkward but is there just need to play with configuration. Some may not like the box look of the Ranger, oh well.

Like I said I love them both

Darren

I had a fracture red ranger and now the quasar blue, I can say the bottom and sidewalls seem to be much thicker on the newer bag.

Previous comments made:

-Ranger doesn't stand up straight, they lean.... No idea where you get this from mine is perfectly straight up and down. Side Note: My buddies grip bag has to be loaded a certain way to prevent it from falling over. On a typical round his bag topples over 2-3 times, whereas mine, never.

-Ranger didn't have rails. Yes it does not have rails but it does have feet that keep it off the ground. We played a particularly muddy mountainous course on Saturday, you would have had no idea by looking at the bottom of my bag.

-Storage in the ranger is amazing. You really have to drive this point home, especially for winter golf, I have packed hand warmers, a sweatshirt, a coat and 2 pairs of socks in the top with my other accessories (wallet, retriever)

Compared to my buddy's grip there is no way I would trade my Ranger for a Grip, I completely understand that the Grip is more durable, yada yada, but for the design, price, and function, I would go Ranger.

all you have to do is keep drinks in the drink holders and the grip will never fall over. i'm sure people will have a problem with this compromise, but there's your solution.

I've only played 3 rounds since getting my Ranger for Christmas, but I have to say that I'm loving it. Stands up nicely, tons of space, and even though it's been quite muddy you can't tell from looking at my bag. The only complaint I have is that the putter pocket just barely holds two putters. Which makes it hard to remove them. I'm hoping this goes away with time, though, once the pocket stretches a bit.

Had the Ranger bag for roughly six months, love it. I got it at a time when it was $140ish and the grip was about $100 more so it was really a no brainer..... Quality is solid and the storage is great. You won't go wrong with either one though....................jb

I just bought a used grip and it is about two years old or so, and it has no wear, and minimal fading on the green fabric. It holds my large long sleeve hoodie in the side pocket, two drink holders, and looks and feels way better than any bag I've had. The ranger is so much cheaper looking and feeling. Besides, if I wanted to carry a refrigerator on my back all day I would go on a camping trip in the woods. Period. Style matters when you spent that much money. Go grip.

Latest posts