• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

I think it was mentioned in the R2 coverage at DeLa and somewhere in the tourney thread - yeah, that place has some 5' gaps and you're throwing at a wall of trees hoping to get through. But if it wasn't part skill, why are the same guys on the top cards all the time, even on those "gimmicky" courses?

How small of a gap/line does it have to be for you to consider it "no true line exists"? I'm curious what everybody's thoughts are on this. How tight of a gap is OK? Is that for a gap between trees 100' off the tee, 200' off the tee, a tunnel shot width, multiple gaps at a wall of trees?

I remember watching a video of a course and I believe it was in Texas for a big tournament. A lot of the holes were under 300 feet with no true line and it was poke and hope. The pros doing the commentary even mention that during the video.

I'll try and do some youtube investigation.

Yes I agree he is right to not tour anymore. Drive for show putt for dough. He doesn't seem to get along with anyone on tour for what I've seen anyway.

It seems, and maybe I'm wrong, that you're starting out with a predisposition against Will? Will may not chat and make lite, but I've never seen him be rude or out of control. His self videos are good and interesting. He speaks politely about the places he's played. I see no reason to dislike the guy. I'm a Nate fan, and yeah, Will ain't Nate. But neither is Paul or many of the other top guys. Even Jerm, who does great videos, or Uli, who works with smash and does vids is "bubbly" or outgoing during rounds. They're there to win, or at least do their best.

There's only a couple of guys who act unprofessionally, and even that's rare.

I remember watching a video of a course and I believe it was in Texas for a big tournament. A lot of the holes were under 300 feet with no true line and it was poke and hope. The pros doing the commentary even mention that during the video.

I'll try and do some youtube investigation.

Look at Waco, and the Nick Hyde, possibly Ping Woods. But honestly, I don't know of any poke and hope courses in Texas. There's a few holes I can think of, but not much. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Look at Waco, and the Nick Hyde, possibly Ping Woods. But honestly, I don't know of any poke and hope courses in Texas. There's a few holes I can think of, but not much. Of course, I've been wrong before.

I remember hearing Simon and Eagle complaining about the wooded half of Waco before. Though IMHO the lines seemed fair to me just going off of the drone hole previews.

Yeah, but then Big Jerm was on the same tournament coverage saying that courses like that were his bread and butter, that it just makes you focus on your line more than your distance, and he wants to see more high profile tournaments move to courses like that. I'm sure pro's like MJ would agree.

Yes I agree he is right to not tour anymore. Drive for show putt for dough. He doesn't seem to get along with anyone on tour for what I've seen anyway.

Well I'm confused. You didn't know what the thread was about, but you know he doesn't get along with anyone on tour? Wait...are YOU a touring pro in disguise?

I actually remember seeing lots of pictures on Facebook of Will hanging out and having beers with people from all "teams" on the road. I know Paul doesn't drink, but I don't see pictures of him hanging with other pros (besides Sexton) while touring.

How small of a gap/line does it have to be for you to consider it "no true line exists"? I'm curious what everybody's thoughts are on this. How tight of a gap is OK? Is that for a gap between trees 100' off the tee, 200' off the tee, a tunnel shot width, multiple gaps at a wall of trees?

I love this question. But I have no answers. I hope others do.

Yeah, but then Big Jerm was on the same tournament coverage saying that courses like that were his bread and butter, that it just makes you focus on your line more than your distance, and he wants to see more high profile tournaments move to courses like that. I'm sure pro's like MJ would agree.
Idlewild open...:thmbup:

Though Idle lets you do both. Hole1 is 600ish mostly open and downhill. Obviously hole15 but if they play the OB off the fairway then they might not rip for it as much. Then you got the gnarly wooded holes... Cant wait.

Last edited:
Well I'm confused. You didn't know what the thread was about, but you know he doesn't get along with anyone on tour? Wait...are YOU a touring pro in disguise?

I actually remember seeing lots of pictures on Facebook of Will hanging out and having beers with people from all "teams" on the road. I know Paul doesn't drink, but I don't see pictures of him hanging with other pros (besides Sexton) while touring.
No I swear I'm not a touring pro! I learnt about him by watching the youtube videos. I can't remember which one it was, but he wouldn't even shake hands with people!

No I swear I'm not a touring pro! I learnt about him by watching the youtube videos. I can't remember which one it was, but he wouldn't even shake hands with people!

I play Open and I don't shake hands. I'm pretty obsessed with my hands being dry at all points and don't want to transfer water or sweat. A lot of people do that.

I play Open and I don't shake hands. I'm pretty obsessed with my hands being dry at all points and don't want to transfer water or sweat. A lot of people do that.
After someone beats you, you can't congratulate them? I hope it is just people pretending to be open players that do that and not true pros.

After someone beats you, you can't congratulate them? I hope it is just people pretending to be open players that do that and not true pros.

LOL pretending. Literally won a B Tier this weekend.

But anyway, yeah, at the end of an event I will. But not each round.

And as for the handshake... I've been on a mission (albeit fairly unsuccessful) this year to change two things:

1) I'm trying to get folks to handshake AFTER there round and not at 18 tee box. The tournament isn't over yet.
2) Having folks remove their caps when shaking hands. That's what gentlemen do.

Watch the PGA each Sunday to see it done correctly.

I've played in 21 tournament already this year and I've been trying to get both implemented, but with very little adoption.

39!!!! A pretty magical round I bet that was...

Not nearly as good as Andrew Horne's 39 in round one. Different layouts.

I did it on the easiest set ups. Still a good round, but his was way better.

The 51 in round 2 was actually way better. Hardest set up possible.

I love this question. But I have no answers. I hope others do.

I'll have a go at this ... 5 feet wide at 100 feet out or multiples there of ... flat ground, no wind.

I would imagine that the course design crowd has (mostly) settled on an answer.

Not nearly as good as Andrew Horne's 39 in round one. Different layouts.

I did it on the easiest set ups. Still a good round, but his was way better.

The 51 in round 2 was actually way better. Hardest set up possible.
lol 950 and you can relate to willie! Reasonable with his putt I suppose.