• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have discs really improved that much over time?

domromer

* Ace Member *
I was thinking about all the new and different discs that are out right now, and they all pretty much promise to lower scores, increase distance and take your game to the next level. But has disc technology really improved that much over the past twenty years, or even the past ten?

The two best selling discs are still rocs and aviars...Molds that are pretty old by any standard. I've got a lot of water on my local courses, so I lose a lot of discs and I end up trying a lot of different molds. I keep going back to older molds from the late 90s and early 2000s. Yes that's what I started with so that's what I'm going to be more comfortable with.

It just has me thinking has technology really made much of a difference. Or are we just buying because we like pretty plastic in a variety of colors and stamps...and I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. But If you gave MCBeth a 15 year old bag, would his scores change at all?

Just something I had been thinking about recently.

i would definitely say so. sure they may be similar molds but take a look at the old plastic and compare it to a star or blizzard boss. ive thrown a lot of discs and my distance record is with my blizzard champion destroyer. my farthest midrange make is with a dx shark and farthest and most consistant putter is my star aviar. now i might of started after yall but ive thrown alot (about 2 1/2 hours per day, 6 days a week) and ive thrown a lot of molds and with my evidence proves well

His scores would change, yes. But, he would still win.

You go run a course with an Aero and see how you feel not having a Destroyer or Teebird. Or play in the wind without a Firebird. :p

Actually, maybe simon would win then...

His scores would change, yes. But, he would still win.

You go run a course with an Aero and see how you feel not having a Destroyer or Teebird. Or play in the wind without a Firebird. :p

Actually, maybe simon would win then...

Teebird and firebird... Pretty old molds by DG standards... Was there a point where disc technology peaked? Are we on a plateau right now, waiting for the next great thing to happen after wide rimmed drivers? Does the pdga guidelines keep disc technology stagnet?

My observations over the years.
1. New plastics improved durability slowing flight changes over time.
2. Discs finally maxed out on the sharpness and rim width specs.
3. Blizzard technology allowed lower weights to be made with the better plastics.
4. Clarified what a "disc" means (i.e., has distinct top versus bottom shape, no scalloped or offset rim)
5. Two part fusion technology to adjust rim weight.
6. Allowing LEDs, light sticks and ribbons to temporarily be attached.
7. Electronics can now be permanently embedded.

Some unscientific results:
Players throwing farther but perhaps not more accurately.
Higher percentage of players throwing lighter than max weight discs, especially drivers.
Not sure as many players develop old school hyzer-flipping skill used with beat-up DX discs.
More good players throwing forehand (disc technology may only be a small contributor to this)

It just has me thinking has technology really made much of a difference. Or are we just buying because we like pretty plastic in a variety of colors and stamps...and I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.

Mostly this. Obviously a Destroyer will go farther than a Gazelle so you need to take rim width into the equation. That said, A World is a Boss is a Cannon is a Nuke is a Sorcerer . . . . .

Discs have gotten more aerodynamic for distance but no the new Colossus isn't groundbreaking. It's just another widerimjobber. A Fuse is a modern take on tons of similar molds, doesn't make it any better or worse.

EDIT: IMHO

The new drivers have definitely helped mask the decline in my distance. It's still pretty obvious, but would be more glaring if people saw me throwing my old drivers (which I do sometimes, when there are no witnesses).

Premium plastic was a big change from DX days, in consistency if nothing else---get a disc that you like, it stays reliably like that for a while.

Though I do think the effect on scoring is overrated. They make a difference, but perhaps not as much as some people think.

Its like this with any other sport. I've been playing competitive hockey and baseball my whole life and have seen countless equipment upgrades and trends over the years. The best players will still be the best with average equipment. I think that we just really enjoy new gear for the fun of it and like someone said above, the durability is the real cool thing that has improved the most in disc golf.

Will the PDGA change disc standards if there are no vast improvements in disc technology in the next 5/10 years?

I think the beveled edge was the big breakthrough distance wise, there has been no revelations in disc design since its inception.

As has been said plastics and wide rim drivers.
I know my profile says i've played less than a year, and that is mostly true, certainly more true than saying i've played for 24 years which is when I first tried, bought some discs and gave up.
I have three discs that are all 24 years old. The main thing I notice when I started playing again is my Hawk labeled as a 'High Durability Driver' is no longer what we consider high durability plastic. It is pretty beat up, and really a generic mid-range disc very similar to a Roc but a shallower rim. I have a Magnet that I don't think has changed at all.
My Distance driver was an X-clone. When I purchased it, it was the world record holder at ~600'. Pretty much the exact same as every newb out there going out and buying a blizzard boss as one of their first 3 discs. It is probably a speed 6 disc and was marketed as 'Extra Overstable'.
I think there has been huge improvements from that time till now is variations in plastic, especially in durability.
Understable discs have come a long way, from sorta understable and beat in to true understable discs off the shelf.
Overstable discs have more choices and more extreme.
Rim width. As much as it seems silly in a way now, it is a big deal to get the faster discs compared to 20 years ago.

Shortly after I started in the game, a hot new disc hit the market: The Wraith. It's stairstepped from there. There's obviously a huge difference between an Orc and a Boss. That's changed the game bigtime. The big arms have gotten bigger. The top 4-6 guys make the 500ish foot holes into deuce or die holes now. The weaker arms are usually throwing discs beyond them, hence the drop in accuracy.

I started playing right when the Wraith, Sidewinder and Roadrunner came out and there was major hype about the Wraith which is still my go to driver. I have thrown Destroyers on long open courses but tend to stick with Sidewinders and Wraiths for distance and have no clue what many of the other new drivers are like which frustrates newer players who constantly tell me to throw Latitude 64 and DD drivers but they cannot tell me what they are comparable to in terms of Innova or Discraft. I wish the industry and sanctioning body would look at making the targets smaller rather than continuing to approve long range drivers. It would be interesting if a manufacturer would create a tour of events (4 or 5 regionally to start) with bullseye type targets putting a premium on putting.

I think the beveled edge was the big breakthrough distance wise, there has been no revelations in disc design since its inception.

This is whats wrong with most innova throwers and why the roc /aviar/teebird get spoken about like holy entities.

In 2016 they all are just discs made of good plastics. Ive thrown some weird ass disc golf moldels which fly very well but are not popular at all.

People dont even care about disc flight.....

I am going to say no. In my lifespan of the game, the answer is yes though. The leap from my first disc, a phantom + by discraft and the revolution in my game to the XL, was a huge leap. But outside of the couple advances pointed out by Chuck below, durability and blizzard, I don't see any real game changers.

Won't manufacturers put pressure on the PDGA to change specs so they can produce new molds.
If any recommendations come from the new manufacturer consortium, there's a better chance it will be to roll back the specs based on interference concerns in crowded parks. But my perception is we've been at a stable point in terms of continuing for awhile with the current specs. No manufacturers have been pressing for changes other than the ability to embed chips or lights which is still in the early stage of being used.

Last edited:
the introduction of high speed drivers with a little high speed turn has to be the biggest help for professionals, molds like the wraith, destroyer, boss, and other manufacturers equivalents have made what was once extremely difficult drives routine.

I suspect that the combination of high speed stability + just a little high speed turn increases the margin of error possible to re-create those long drives [that fall inside a narrower window of width during the whole flight], even in a varying conditions of wind.

back in the day you'd have to throw a touchy hyzerflip with a less stable disc to get that long 350-400+ foot shot in a tighter fairway. Now you can throw with less hyzer/almost flat and let the disc do the work.

You also had the option of throwing something extremely overstable with an incredible amount of arm speed/power, but that is possible by those who have genetic gifts.

I compare high speed premium plastic drivers that have some high speed turn (like the destroyer) to oversized carbon fiber racquets in tennis. The sweet spot is so much larger in the oversized carbon fiber racquet compared to an old school wood/aluminum one. with a star destroyer its similar where you can be off on your arm plane/release by more compared to an old school mold like a DX teebird when trying to go for distance + accuracy.

Latest posts