• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Dallas and Newbie Advice

GMR45

Hello from Dallas, TX. I recently got back from a family trip to Hawaii, where the place we were staying had a full disc golf setup, and I absolutely loved it and decided I want to get into the sport.

As a bit of background, I used to play golf quasi-competitively (still play to a low single digit handicap) and love everything about it except for the time it takes both to play a round and also that would be required to meaningfully improve (much tougher to do as you approach scratch obviously), as well as the cost. I'm always up for new challenges and tend to get a bit obsessive about new things, and could see disc golf as being a fantastic outlet for me.

That said, I wanted a little advice about the best way to go about getting into this. For one, I'd love some advice as it regards the equipment I should start with. On one hand I'm obviously a rank beginner and have never played disc sports before in any real capacity, but on the other hand I think it's very likely that I can probably generate significantly more speed than what most think of when they think "beginner" given that I'm in my early 30s, average over 115mph of driver clubhead speed in golf, and back in high school when I played competitive baseball I could hit a ball out of a regulation-sized ballpark (as a 16 year old). As another point of reference, the discs we were throwing around in Hawaii (the latitude 64 "Maul") I was able to get out there around 300-350ft throwing sidearm (which felt a lot more natural given my lack of training throwing backhand). Obviously discs are not super expensive and I can always buy others as my game changes, but I want to make sure I'm throwing something that will help me improve, not just that helps me play to a relatively basic level.

On that front, as far as technique and such, I've been watching some videos online as to proper form and think that as I practice it will come to me pretty naturally as conceptually it is pretty similar to other sports I've played to a high level (e.g. "snap," etc.), but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to speed up that process, rather that be in-person lessons, online resources, etc.

In any event thanks in advance for any guidance and glad I found my way here!

If you're that long naturally with a forehand, you're probably going to love the Firebird. But the flip side of that is it can mask some deficiencies in form.

People will say throw lots of putters and mids, and they're not wrong. Can't go wrong with a Buzzz or Roc for a mid if you want to learn backhanded throwing (you'll need it in your skillset if you want to be good). Field work = driving range. It's a sport and injuries are very real, especially for forehand throwers, just something to keep in mind.

With both a golf and baseball background, you've got a great head start. Other people will have deeper advice than me. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice! I would like to transition to playing predominantly backhand if I can (largely because of the injury risk you allude to--that side of my body is already susceptible to repetitive use injuries from golfing), but I'm sure it's going to take a while until it feels natural just given the difference the position of the shoulder vs the other sports I've played.

I'm considering starting by buying a pack of 4 or 5 putters so that I can work on consistency in the field before heading on the course--is that a good idea, or no? Curious why the suggestion of Buzzz or Roc, specifically? I was looking at the Judge or Warden since they seemed to be relatively neutral well-reviewed putters, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing so again any help appreciated!

Thanks for the advice! I would like to transition to playing predominantly backhand if I can (largely because of the injury risk you allude to--that side of my body is already susceptible to repetitive use injuries from golfing), but I'm sure it's going to take a while until it feels natural just given the difference the position of the shoulder vs the other sports I've played.

I'm considering starting by buying a pack of 4 or 5 putters so that I can work on consistency in the field before heading on the course--is that a good idea, or no? Curious why the suggestion of Buzzz or Roc, specifically? I was looking at the Judge or Warden since they seemed to be relatively neutral well-reviewed putters, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing so again any help appreciated!
The Buzzz and the Roc are just the two most time-tested, classic midranges. Both are great discs and most people like the feel of at least one or the other.

I putt with the Warden after trying 3 other discs and think it's a great disc for putting. It is very neutral with a little fade with longer putts [depending on your form and such]. I think the Judge is basically the same disc but with a bead [which I don't really like].

I would find a putter you like first, then go for a pack, which will definitely speed up your putting practice. I just bought a 5 pack of Wardens for this very reason. One tip... don't throw your putting putter, but a different one for upshots or tee drives.

Depending on the area you live, there are several retailers that carry both new and lightly used discs and will likely be able to offer on-site advice from other players who work there. Avoid big box like Academy, their selection is designed to catch your eye but not the kind of discs that will improve your game. Although your background may benefit for the Shryke for FH throws, I've seen tons of those unsold there.
Let me know if you're in North Dallas and want to get in a round :)

There are so many discs out there now, you can spend a lot of time and money testing discs from different manufacturers that turn out to be functionally identical. I don't think there are a lot of discs out there that do anything that isn't already covered by an innova disc. They just gave the biggest variety of molds. If you get familiar with the innova lineup, then you can use a chart, like the Marshall Street Flight Guide, to compare other discs and identify ones you want to try out.

One putter that is often touted as the best putter and no one has anything like it (as far as I know) is the gateway wizard. Being in DFW like you, most of us go for a putter that does well in wind, like a rhino, judge, or wizard. Roc, tee bird, and wraith are some other discs to try. For turnovers, I suggest stingray, leopard, and tern. I also suggest trying base plastic fir the slower speed discs., you want them to break in. Premium plastic for drivers.

Depending on the area you live, there are several retailers that carry both new and lightly used discs and will likely be able to offer on-site advice from other players who work there. Avoid big box like Academy, their selection is designed to catch your eye but not the kind of discs that will improve your game. Although your background may benefit for the Shryke for FH throws, I've seen tons of those unsold there.
Let me know if you're in North Dallas and want to get in a round :)
Thanks for the offer! I'll try to hit you up once I grab a couple discs and feel at least somewhat competent in my ability to throw them at least in something resembling the proper direction :)

I putt with the Warden after trying 3 other discs and think it's a great disc for putting. It is very neutral with a little fade with longer putts [depending on your form and such]. I think the Judge is basically the same disc but with a bead [which I don't really like].

I would find a putter you like first, then go for a pack, which will definitely speed up your putting practice. I just bought a 5 pack of Wardens for this very reason. One tip... don't throw your putting putter, but a different one for upshots or tee drives.
Thanks for this advice, very in line with what I was thinking actually (down to the two discs I've been most considering). Fortunately there's a Dynamic Discs store not too far from me over in Carrollton, so I think I'm going to head over there and try to figure out what mold/plastic feels best and buy a few of them to start working on with some field practice. Maybe pick up a mid-range while I'm over there...will do my best to not grab a Defender as well :p

Just as an update, I went stopped by the local Dynamic Discs and picked up an assortment of putters off the used rack (Opto Mercy, Prime Warden, Classic Blend Judge, Star Aviar3 and Champion Aviar--all in the 174-176g range except for the Aviar which is 167g). Been watching some YouTube videos on technique, but as it's been raining nonstop here just out to the park to throw them around for the first time today.

Went pretty well I think...was starting to get more of a feel for it by the end. I was throwing them pretty consistently in the 170-185ft range (as measured by my rangefinder) and was actually pleasantly surprised by the degree of accuracy I had. It was really damp there and I stupidly didn't bring a towel, so the discs being a bit wet probably hurt me a bit, but by and large I felt it went about as well as could be expected for my first real time throwing with any idea of what I was supposed to be doing.

With that said, what would be the advice as to how to keep progressing? I'm planning to just keep throwing around these putters a bit more until I have a bit more command over the flight, but not sure when I should start adding some midranges and fairway drivers into the mix. Would you guys wait until I'm able to reach some distance threshold (e.g. 250' with the putter), or just until I feel a bit more comfortable throwing?

Thanks again for the advice!

I wouldn't put a distance on it unless you really enjoy fieldwork. I would suggest that if you can throw a neutral stability disc fairly straight and let the disc do its thing more times than not... then go up and do the same thing for a mid-range. The mid-range should go farther.

Once you get to speed 7 and higher [what I consider a fairway driver], they will tend to have more turn/fade. I don't know of any disc in this speed that has a number system of [7 | 5 | 0 | 0 ] to basically indicate they should fly straight and not really fade. They are more like... [7 | 5 | -1 | 2], so they are going to go left and right more.

I believe that if you can throw a neutral disc in a "straight" path, then rest [hyzers and anhyzer] is a lot easier to learn. Plus, there is a big difference in throwing discs in an open field [assuming that's what you are doing] and throwing on a course with natural objects.

I agree it is almost impossible to find a disc with [6 or 7|5|0|0] as faster discs it is hard to find that shot but the ones below are close.

A disc at [6|5|-1|1] is the Zombie from Discraft. But the mold is so close to a Buzz that it is not worth getting if you use the Buzz.

A TL [7|5|-1|1] or TL3 [8|5|-1|1] from Innova are good discs to start with for nearly neutral. The 3 is a just flat top of a disc from the Innova line though some like the Shark/Shark 3, the Shark 3 is like a different disc from the Shark.

Fwiw... I have no idea what your long term intentions with the sport is (social casual, competitive am/pro, etc) but consider just buying 3 (or more!) of the same putter (something stable, not under or over stable) and just spend a couple of months throwing nothing but those putters. Learn how to throw them level, flat, straight, etc, and try to get them out to 150,200,250+ ft. It will do wonders early on to help you dial in your form, consistency, etc. Then start introducing mids, fairways, drivers, etc. Good luck! (btw...DFW is blessed with so much disc golf it's insane. DD in Carrollton is a great starting point because they run quite a few local minis, tournaments, etc.)

Fwiw... I have no idea what your long term intentions with the sport is (social casual, competitive am/pro, etc) but consider just buying 3 (or more!) of the same putter (something stable, not under or over stable) and just spend a couple of months throwing nothing but those putters. Learn how to throw them level, flat, straight, etc, and try to get them out to 150,200,250+ ft. It will do wonders early on to help you dial in your form, consistency, etc. Then start introducing mids, fairways, drivers, etc. Good luck! (btw...DFW is blessed with so much disc golf it's insane. DD in Carrollton is a great starting point because they run quite a few local minis, tournaments, etc.)
Kinda what I had in mind. Just trying to figure out what I like right now--of the ones I bought to try out I think I prefer the Aviar3 and the Judge with the Mercy being my least favorite (think I prefer them feeling flat and not talk and "domey"). I didn't think I'd find a huge difference in my preference on the plastics but I really prefer the Star and Fuzion and really cannot stand the Prime (do much so I don't even know if I like the Warden mold because I can't stand the plastic so much). The Champion and Lucid are fine but feel a bit slick somehow. I do like the classic blend in the Judge and it's cheap enough, so maybe I'll just pick up 3-5 of those and start throwing them around...can always change at some point down the line!

I agree it is almost impossible to find a disc with [6 or 7|5|0|0] as faster discs it is hard to find that shot but the ones below are close.

A disc at [6|5|-1|1] is the Zombie from Discraft. But the mold is so close to a Buzz that it is not worth getting if you use the Buzz.

A TL [7|5|-1|1] or TL3 [8|5|-1|1] from Innova are good discs to start with for nearly neutral. The 3 is a just flat top of a disc from the Innova line though some like the Shark/Shark 3, the Shark 3 is like a different disc from the Shark.
Eyeing the TL or TL3 as my first fairway driver when I get to the point that I want/need something in the 7/8 speed range. Given how much I like the feel of the shallow depth and flat top of the Aviar3, I'm thinking the TL3 may be the way to go there, but I'll go feel them out and see what feels right.

Kinda what I had in mind. Just trying to figure out what I like right now--of the ones I bought to try out I think I prefer the Aviar3 and the Judge with the Mercy being my least favorite (think I prefer them feeling flat and not talk and "domey"). I didn't think I'd find a huge difference in my preference on the plastics but I really prefer the Star and Fuzion and really cannot stand the Prime (do much so I don't even know if I like the Warden mold because I can't stand the plastic so much). The Champion and Lucid are fine but feel a bit slick somehow. I do like the classic blend in the Judge and it's cheap enough, so maybe I'll just pick up 3-5 of those and start throwing them around...can always change at some point down the line!

The plastics do make a difference... mainly in grip, but they can affect the flight of it a little bit. Some make the disc a bit more overstable than others. The Judge [beaded] and the Warden [no bead] are basically the same disc, the difference being the bead or lack of one.

I wanted to buy a Opto Warden at a Dynamic Disc two disc challenge, but ended up "settling" for a Classic Blend. Now it's my favorite putter and I have 6 of them [original + a putter pack].

The Judge [beaded] and the Warden [no bead] are basically the same disc, the difference being the bead or lack of one.
That's what I thought going in, which is why I was dumbfounded when I started throwing them how much more I liked the Judge than the Warden that I bought. I do just think it boils down to really preferring the feel of the Classic Blend to the Prime plastic though, although somehow the Judge also seems to have a slightly lower profile but that may be because of how my fingers grip around the rim due to the shape of the bead.

My best (longest-straightest) throws still seem to come from the Star Aviar3 though, which is a bit counterintuitive though since of the putters I bought that one is the highest speed (3), lowest glide (2) and most theoretically most overstable (0,2)… I realize you can't compare between brands on a 1:1 basis clearly, but still seems as a rank beginner I'd have more trouble that than say the Warden (which most describe as slow and super straight). Go figure.

That's what I thought going in, which is why I was dumbfounded when I started throwing them how much more I liked the Judge than the Warden that I bought. I do just think it boils down to really preferring the feel of the Classic Blend to the Prime plastic though, although somehow the Judge also seems to have a slightly lower profile but that may be because of how my fingers grip around the rim due to the shape of the bead.

My best (longest-straightest) throws still seem to come from the Star Aviar3 though, which is a bit counterintuitive though since of the putters I bought that one is the highest speed (3), lowest glide (2) and most theoretically most overstable (0,2)… I realize you can't compare between brands on a 1:1 basis clearly, but still seems as a rank beginner I'd have more trouble that than say the Warden (which most describe as slow and super straight). Go figure.

Nope the Innova Pig is the most OS and one of the fastest putters, wait that is the RDG Stego is the most OS but that has too much OS for anybody and most who do actually have it in the bag usie the Stego for the boomerang shot around an obstacle on the course.

Last edited:
Nope the Innova Pig is the most OS and one of the fastest putters, wait that is the RDG Stego is the most OS but that has too much OS for anybody and most who do actually have it in the bag usie the Stego for the boomerang shot around an obstacle on the course.

Ha yes I won't be throwing a Pig or Stego anytime soon. I didn't mean that the Aviar3 is the most OS out there, I meant of the 5 putters I bought (Av, Av3, Judge, Warden, Mercy), it's theoretically the most OS with the least amount of glide. :thmbup:

Last edited: