• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Dallas and Newbie Advice

Ha yes I won't be throwing a Pig or Stego anytime soon. I didn't mean that the Aviar3 is the most OS out there, I meant of the 5 putters I bought (Av, Av3, Judge, Warden, Mercy), it's theoretically the most OS with the least amount of glide. :thmbup:

Thanks for the Clarification. :)

Finally made it out to throw a bit more today after some nasty weather recently. Really mixed day...on one hand I felt completely incompetent with my RHBH throw half the time, but at the same time I also set a couple personal bests. One throw in particular was a pretty S-curve a bit downwind with the Mercy that flew out to about 200-210'. Sadly there wasn't too much more positive to say outside of that though, some really ugly throws in there. By the end I just started throwing RHFH to make myself feel a little better, which was actually really good. On two consecutive throws was able to get the Mercy out to 220' and then the EMac Truth to about 240', which is my longest throw to date. Found throwing FH that I really had to let it go on a Hyzer though (particularly when not downwind) otherwise they'd just turn over on me into rollers.

Question for you guys that have achieved a reasonable level in this game (particularly those that didn't come from some other disc background like ultimate)...how did you start out learning the BH throw? Did you have someone who taught you? Online resources? I really feel like I understand what it is I'm supposed to do, but I'm obviously doing something very wrong because only about 1 in 4 comes out looking like it's supposed to... Thanks for any advice!

I started with a standstill, then went to shuffle mode, then went to the x step. Most of the time I was taking information from YouTube and adding as I went. I continued to improve, but still remained inconsistent, but I think this is to be expected.

I don't know when I found this series [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2OY2Ez4VY&list=PLesVPaR5k0AbAcShL0XK8-cqUXFYm7m04], but the first three videos helped me understand the x step a lot more. I have been using the information in these videos and my throws are getting more consistent and a little farther.

I have also been buying a few discs better suited for certain types of throws now [basically a bit more overstable discs]. I haven't thrown really farther in the past 6 months or so [winter had something to say about this :D], but I am throwing my max distance more times and more consistent shots.

Though on Monday, I was able to throw my farthest shot on flat ground in a fairly narrow fairway by about 10 feet to just shy of 400'. What I always say to myself... "that's encouraging".

I think I get the footwork aspect (though I could be wrong)...the x-step is very similar to a crow-hop I'd use when playing outfield in baseball, with the obvious differences in that you are looking away from the target and that you are looking to get your last step crossed over the target line to help get the hips turned (kinda a weird hybrid of a golf swing and a baseball throw).

Where I'm really struggling is figuring out how to transition the power I'm building with the x-step, lower body rotation, etc. into leverage on the disc. I feel like I'm getting myself into a really good position with a lot of stored momentum, big shoulder/hip turn, good reach-back, etc. and then just poof it just disappears as the disc slips weakly from my hand. Not 100% sure my grip is correct (bit hard to tell when the only thing I have to compare it to is pictures online), so that may have something to do with it. But really I feel like I need to "pull" on something to get that speed built but I can't really feel intuitively where that resistance is supposed to come from.

Oh well I'll keep trying and hope it will come eventually! I found a deal on new Z Buzzzes and bought 5 of them (couldn't help myself!) so at least now I'll have something consistent to throw to see what's me and what's the disc a bit easier.

I think I get the footwork aspect (though I could be wrong)...the x-step is very similar to a crow-hop I'd use when playing outfield in baseball, with the obvious differences in that you are looking away from the target and that you are looking to get your last step crossed over the target line to help get the hips turned (kinda a weird hybrid of a golf swing and a baseball throw).

Where I'm really struggling is figuring out how to transition the power I'm building with the x-step, lower body rotation, etc. into leverage on the disc. I feel like I'm getting myself into a really good position with a lot of stored momentum, big shoulder/hip turn, good reach-back, etc. and then just poof it just disappears as the disc slips weakly from my hand. Not 100% sure my grip is correct (bit hard to tell when the only thing I have to compare it to is pictures online), so that may have something to do with it. But really I feel like I need to "pull" on something to get that speed built but I can't really feel intuitively where that resistance is supposed to come from.

Oh well I'll keep trying and hope it will come eventually! I found a deal on new Z Buzzzes and bought 5 of them (couldn't help myself!) so at least now I'll have something consistent to throw to see what's me and what's the disc a bit easier.

Most of the non-disc golf videos that are posted in form critiques are from golf and some from baseball. I personally have a hard time translating them into disc golf knowledge.

There is a section in the forum that you can submit your disc golf form and have people give feedback on it. It's hard to give feedback based on description alone.

As for the grip, you can check out this video which helped me a lot.

So I don't know why this has taken this long to figure this out (probably because I'm an idiot), but that video made something click for me. I've realized that the wrist angle needed to be down to keep the nose down, but whenever I do it I just feel like I'm setting up the disc to come out on a big hyzer. It finally occurred to me just now that the whole hand/disc complex has rotated by the time the disc is released such that the hand is on the SIDE of the disc when it's coming out, not in front of it...(DUH!). Seriously dumb on my part that it's taken that long to get to that realization, but I think that's going to seriously help me figure this thing out. Thanks again for posting that video!

So I don't know why this has taken this long to figure this out (probably because I'm an idiot), but that video made something click for me. I've realized that the wrist angle needed to be down to keep the nose down, but whenever I do it I just feel like I'm setting up the disc to come out on a big hyzer. It finally occurred to me just now that the whole hand/disc complex has rotated by the time the disc is released such that the hand is on the SIDE of the disc when it's coming out, not in front of it...(DUH!). Seriously dumb on my part that it's taken that long to get to that realization, but I think that's going to seriously help me figure this thing out. Thanks again for posting that video!

Totally not dumb lol. Unless I'm dumb too...

Some of this stuff isn't very intuitive. I recently changed up my standard grip to this (1:08):

And while the disc feels nice and locked in, I'm having to relearn several things because of the change.

if you are right handed with 115 clubhead speed low handicap at ball golf, then I relate. 115 mph is extremely rare. That is average for tour players. That is up there with Dustin Johnson. Hmmmm. I'm 61 years old, and can still get it to 100, that's a 240 yard carry for me. At any rate, what I have found after a life time of right hand ball golf, is that I can throw discs further left hand back hand than right hand back hand. I have more control righty, but more snap lefty. Back hand right hand for a right hand golfer is like playing golf left handed. Feels unnatural. Awkward. no snap. For back hand left hand for a righty golfer, all the lag, late release, weight shift, all of it apply, as you'll find out reading Sidewinders posts. I went out to the field yesterday, and proved it. After throwing 10 months rhbh, my average good throw is 290 feet. That is with no roll out in long grass. Yesterday after throwing for one week, I smoked the clumsy weak ass right hand with a left hand snap at 305. I'm going to develop lefty further and use righty for upshots and putts.

there is a poster here by the name sidewinder22. he's got a number of form threads that are a great resource.

there is also the old site DGR that Tim has now archived here on this site. tons of great info
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129404

some good advice here so far. pick a putter that feels good, know that they can come in a variety of plastics (so don't necessarily write off the Warden, just avoid prime plastic), work on putters and mids for awhile to dial it all in.

those buzzzes will be great for practice and you can work those up to 300' before messing with drivers. when you do jump to drivers, stick with neutral flyers at first.

also, re: putters... most people prefer base plastic for putting (DX, Pro D, Classic, etc) and maybe a premium plastic for a putter that you throw off the tee. you probably won't want to actually put with a Champion or Opto type plastic.

I find a rather slanted power grip is what works for me, before that I was using the same putter with index finger to the outside of bead or in the grove part of grip on other non beaded putter midrange discs and when I tried a full on straight power grip, I did not like that power grip as I would have to max power all discs with no control So I found a midrange power slant others used for midrange or putter discs in more drive backhand type throws to work for me.