• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Rochester, NY

Rochdiscer

Took up disc golf a few years ago. I wanted to get serious about it last year but frozen shoulders
put the kibosh on that. Now in crazy Covid-19 2020 am getting serious about it. I'm retired so
I am lucky to be able to play every day. I am also lucky in that there are several courses in the area. I bought a Latitude 64 starter set, Fury, Claymore and Mercy. I've been picking up some
other discs as I try to get better. I'm trying to figure out which discs will work for me and which ones won't. I know I have to build up arm speed. I'm looking on the interweb and YouTube for information. Hopefully I'll learn from this site as well.

Took up disc golf a few years ago. I wanted to get serious about it last year but frozen shoulders
put the kibosh on that. Now in crazy Covid-19 2020 am getting serious about it. I’m retired so
I am lucky to be able to play every day. I am also lucky in that there are several courses in the area. I bought a Latitude 64 starter set, Fury, Claymore and Mercy. I’ve been picking up some
other discs as I try to get better. I’m trying to figure out which discs will work for me and which ones won’t. I know I have to build up arm speed. I’m looking on the interweb and YouTube for information. Hopefully I’ll learn from this site as well.

There is one course in Liverpool a sub city of Rochester NY or near Rochester NY where an uncle and a then in middle school as more a tester a newer just started playing a year earlier cousin designed a course, the uncle is Scott Freeman in late 2000's. Uncle was partner of at the time a Highly rated landscape company as a Designer as well as a disc golfer since 2007 but he was going to break away from the landscape company a few months after the design of the Course. Anyhow the City asked him to design the course for people to play, the city ignored his design originally until it was obvious due to the poison ivy and the partial swamp on 1/2 of the course the city made setup was not going to work and they actually used the setup my uncle made.

Liverpool isn't a sub city of Rochester, it is as suburb of Syracuse about 80 miles away. To the OP, glad you found something to do during your retirement/Covid related down time. I'm down near Canadaigua Lake not far south of you. You live in a great city for DG, and this site is a trove of info on the subject. Good luck and enjoy.

Liverpool isn't a sub city of Rochester, it is as suburb of Syracuse about 80 miles away. To the OP, glad you found something to do during your retirement/Covid related down time. I'm down near Canadaigua Lake not far south of you. You live in a great city for DG, and this site is a trove of info on the subject. Good luck and enjoy.

Sorry I mix those two towns up as I am so far away and only visit family in Dunkirk like one time every other year. :wall:

Thanks for the recommendation on the Leopard. I've seen it mentioned a lot in researching discs.

For good reason. The Leopard is a versatile mold that's easy to control and shape lines with. Great glide, and more forgiving of mediocre to poor technuque than most molds, hence easy to get good results with. One of the very best (if not the best) drivers for beginners.

Plus, it's a great disc to keep in your bag as your game progresses through the years.

I bought a Leopard 3

I stopped into a store on the way to a practice round. I had called ahead, they said they had 2 Leopards in stock. I couldn't find them but found a Leopard 3 so I went with that. I like it so far. Good distance and better accuracy for me. The 3 is one number faster than the Leopard.