• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me choose a 150 driver - RHBH

BigDave

My current overstable drivers are a CE Valk, CE Wraith, Pro Beast, and a Z Wildcat. All >170g. All, when thrown flat hyzer at the end. The Wraith is about at the edge of what I can control. The longest, reliably, of the bunch is the Valk at 330-340.

I was playing with a guy who threw a 146 DX Boss on a slight downhill with slight tailwind 500+ (hyzer flip).

What might be some good places to start with a 150 for me?

A more overstable disc flies straighter in 150. A Boss is great, and Destroyer in DX too. The Discraft 150 Flicks are legendary but hard to find. If you can get champion plastic low weights (150-160), they will last a long time but are hard to find. I am actually loving my 160 R-Pro Boss. It is unstable, but thrown down wind or no wind with a hyzer flip, it glides longer than anything I have ever thrown.

the only 150 disc in my bag is an elite x surge. it used to give me the most distance of any in my bag by a good 50 feet, but it beat in and got flippy very fast. now its a hard turnover/roller disc

(LHBH)

150 t-birds all the way man. Champ or Star, doesn't matter. The 150s are just as stable as the heavier ones. I think the plastic sets up stiffer and flatter in the 150s.

My current overstable drivers are a CE Valk, CE Wraith, Pro Beast, and a Z Wildcat. All >170g. All, when thrown flat hyzer at the end. The Wraith is about at the edge of what I can control. The longest, reliably, of the bunch is the Valk at 330-340.

I was playing with a guy who threw a 146 DX Boss on a slight downhill with slight tailwind 500+ (hyzer flip).

What might be some good places to start with a 150 for me?

They never made CE Wraiths or DX Bosses. ;)
If the Valk is getting you 330-340' then the Wraith, Beast and Boss are too fast for you.

If you want a distance driver then- based solely on what you described- I would have to recommend something a little more overstable like maybe a 150g DX Viking, 150g MOLF or the more overstable SOLF/QOLF. The 150g PDs have been either beefy or flippy; either one is great but for completely different shots.

If you are looking for a control driverthen the Champ/Star Leopards and Teebirds cannot be overlooked. The Champ/Star Teebird has the huge benefit of being both controllable and sneaky long. I use it as my distance driver half the time.

I found a 150 g R-Pro Boss that I'll try. I also found a 164 Star Katana, but decided to pass. There seems to be some love/hate with the R-Pro Boss, so we'll see.

150g R-Pro Bosses are fabulous but are very demanding of clean form.
They will go really far with little effort but you have to play it right.

@Marmoset

Sorry, I meant Champ Wraith.

I'm set on control drivers - I carry 3 Leopards, a Sidewinder, and a Roadrunner - all 168+.

I'm wanting to try a 150 class high speed disc just to see. There is no way I'd even consider throwing a heavy Boss, Katana, or Nuke for distance. I don't have the arm. The Wraith I do carry comes out very seldom on my rounds.

If you poke around you can find 156-160g Champ or Star Wraiths. Star is a little easier to find the lighter weights. This might be a great step for you since you already throw the Wraith. I don't think you'd like the 150 class DX Wraiths unless you are looking for understable versions of your current Wraith.

Discraft also sells the Pro-D Force in 150 class.

I have a couple R-Pro Bosses... like I said before, the Boss will bomb in the appropriate situations. I would imagine the light Champ/Star Wraith would be more versatile.

150g R-Pro Bosses are fabulous but are very demanding of clean form.
They will go really far with little effort but you have to play it right.

This is my experience too.
I have 3 R-Pro Boss's that I throw.
A 136 gram, a 145, and a 150, one seasoned, one mid beat, and one nearly new.

There is no disc more sensitive to everything formwise, than a super light, super fast driver.
First, you have to release the disc earlier than you do with a heavier weight, which means you cant get as good of a windup , then, the speed will cause the nose to go exactly where you point it, from worm burner to earth orbit.
Seasoned discs are ultra flippy too, so they really are only good for hyzer flips.

I throw accurately about 1/3 of the time with this disc. More often I griplock it, which is super easy to do with a feather in your hand, and it goes about 400', only way off the intended line.
So its no picnic as far as 150 class discs, but I always carry one anyways just for the giggle factor.

Overstable 150 class discs are easier to throw when you are starting out because they are harder to flip, so you can play with the hyzer/anhyzer angle a little and work lines better than you can with the less stable discs.

Lower stablility 150 class discs are really only good for hyzer flips when you have decent arm speed, and hyzer flips are not the easiest shot to execute properly.

Other 150 class discs I throw;

Dx Destroyer - This is a good 150 class disc, domey and stable, I can throw high flex's easily with this disc.
Star Valkyrie - This disc does not do anything better than the 161 gram Star disc I have, and is much more likely to sail offline when I turn it over, so its shelved for now. Very flippy
Dx Teerex - Very stable, less glide than the Destroyer, but if you want a good upwind 150 class disc, this one flies a nice flex line.
My current favorite is a seasoned 150 Dx Beast. This disc flies perfect hyzer flip lines for me, better than any other disc I own, at any weight, with great accuracy.
It has taken me a few years to figure out how to throw it well, but now its a money disc, best of the 150's in my opinion.

I personally LOVE my EliteZ 150 flick, but as someone else said they are rare, and still overstable. A 150 teebird or firebird would be a great start. 150 rpro bosses are really flippy and the reason he could throw 500+ downhill with a slight tailwind is because it's so understable. With good form you can throw understable the farthest with a tailwind, especially downhill. For my downhill shots I usually choose a comet, one of my longest throws with it. You won't achieve 500+ by simply picking up a 150 class disc, downhill with a tailwind was choice conditions for that 146 boss.

I am amazed by the R-Pro Boss and it has become my go-to. It is definitely like a Corvette though, super fast, super sensitive and non-forgiving for form issues. It without a doubt goes further than any other disc I've thrown though.

I'm now loving my S-PDs for overstable/wind duties, but my long-time go-to is my X Surge. It's dead straight until well-beat then makes an awesome turnover/anny disc.

Well one thing I didn't think of, but am glad it was brought up, is how this light disc will help me with form. It should only help clean up the others.

This is initially why I switched to all 150 class.
But then I saw the all advantages and stuck with it instead of reverting back to the heavy stuff.