• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Choose a Basket

pointdisc

Double Eagle Member
I've been looking over baskets for practice and have narrowed it down to the following three. I'm looking for a portable that can be carried 2-3 blocks fairly easily and can be taken down to fit in a my vehicle in decent time. Would use it for everything (putting, approaches, full range runs). Leaning towards the Discatcher or In-Step.

My Three:

Innova Discatcher Sport: Heard good reviews, may need inner chains. Course near me has the regular discatchers, but with single chains and they don't catch to well. Mobility?

In-Step: COST!!! Plus, would add inner chains. Mobility?

Mack Lite: Portability (can bring up to apartment), but around the same cost as the metal Discatcher. Durability?

Looking for brutally honest reviews & opinions (I've already read through posts on this site as well).

pd

Mack Lite: Portability (can bring up to apartment), but around the same cost as the metal Discatcher. Durability?
Had mine about two years and it's in great shape still. Although I keep loosing the stupid little pin. I take this thing all over the place it's easy to carry and transport. It catches a lot of putts that normally would not go in a "real" baskett and misses some of the putts that would. Hyzer putts cut through a lot but I think the portablility outweigh these negatives.

The Lightning DB-5 would be a better choice than a discatcher sport. The build quality is worth the extra $.

I have a Mach Lite and think it's a good basket although it doesn't catch as well as my skillshot.

Will you be using the basket mainly in your yard, or do you plan to set it up in parks or campgrounds? The Mach Lite would be a lot easier to carry around for any distance.

What is your budget?
I know a lot of guys like the InStep after they add an extra set of chains. If price is an issue, this one should work well as long as you keep it out of the elements.

I love my instep with the second set of chains. Catches better than a lot the baskets at the course. It is a little much to move around, but it breaks down nice, and is pretty well made. For the $, it is hard to argue with.

I have a discatcher sport and really like it. I can easily pick it up and move it around the yard, but at the same time don't have to worry about my kids tipping it over when they are taking their discs out of the basket. I've had my basket for 3 years now and its holding up great. I always thought of adding inner chains, but have never really seen a need too. It catches very well.

I looked at the DB5 but I saw one at a retailer and it was very rough and I didn't want it ripping up my putters or arms.

Glock23 said:
I love my instep with the second set of chains. Catches better than a lot the baskets at the course. It is a little much to move around, but it breaks down nice, and is pretty well made. For the $, it is hard to argue with.
I have had mine for about a year and a half. Like you said it does suck to haul around but they way it catches with the 2nd set of chains make it worth it.
If you want portability don't get the instep. If you want a cheap basket that is durable, and catches great (with the 2nd set of chains) the Instep is for you.

Furthur said:
Fritz said:
www.discin.net

I really like those baskets. When I finally get a house, I'm buying one for my back yard.

They are fantastic and Shawn is a really cool guy. I love the octopus. The Jelly Fish is great and last year he made an attachment if you want you can add a basket cage.

I have an instep and a dga m14 which are very similar but the dga has the inner chains and a diffrent chain holder design. For practice both have surved the porpose well but the dga does have far less cut throughs. I was going to add chains to the instep but havent really felt it was nesessary for back yard play.

kevind said:
I have an instep and a dga m14 which are very similar but the dga has the inner chains and a diffrent chain holder design. For practice both have surved the porpose well but the dga does have far less cut throughs. I was going to add chains to the instep but havent really felt it was nesessary for back yard play.

Wow are you sure it is a M-14? If so they catch like total crap but I guess not as bad as a stock instep. 8)

Get an Instep and don't install inner chains. If it's a practice basket, you'll learn to putt better the "touchier" the basket is to catch throws.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Get an Instep and don't install inner chains. If it's a practice basket, you'll learn to putt better the "touchier" the basket is to catch throws.

Or learn to putt like a girl. :oops:

Probably looking at a $200 limit MAX. I have acess to a yard (I rent), but I'd most likely be bringing it to the park 2-3 blocks away for more space. It will not sit outside b/c I prefer to keep it mine, not Mr. Disc-burgler's.

The ones at discin.net are sweet, but out of my price range.

Thanks for all the reviews so far guys! Keep them coming!

pd

I really like my InStep basket. I take it about 2 blocks to my practice field about twice a week. Its not the most portable basket, but it only weighs about 20 lbs box and all. This is what I am thinking of doing and it might help you as well.

Get one of those small two wheel dollys that the lawyers use to haul boxes into court with. That way , you can take the box out of your car and wheel the box to where you need it. It also sets up pretty fast . I would say it sets up in about 3 minutes. I am thinking about adding some extra chains, because I do get some blow through. Good luck.

Here is a pic of it in the field:

DiscGolfPractice4.jpg

Discgolfpractice1.jpg

I have an instep and love it. It breaks down without use of any tools which is nice, just a couple pins that hold it together. I let mine sit outside for the past year and a half and its no worse for wear, with the exception of the little flag blowing off :cry:

I also didnt add a extra set of chains and dont see any reason to. It would probably catch better with them but as its just for putting practice its not a priority for me.

I've got a Lightning DB-5, and I have nothing but good things to say about it - though it is heavier than some of the others you're considering, and would benefit from another layer of chains if you're planning on using it for anything other than putting.

DB-5 = best durability in the under $200 range.

skillshot = best durability/catchability/price in the fully portable style.

discatcher sports rust.

insteps aren't portable enough to not be durable.

mach lites... look nice... heh. their durability is questionable and they don't catch all that well in comparison to similar products.

Lightning DB5 is what I have. It's heavy, solid and the best basket out there for $200. I dont see why you would pick any of the others over the DB5, unless you'll be carrying it in the trunk of your car or something.

It is heavy, but it's not so bad... I had it in my basement for a while this winter.
I wouldn't want to drag it back and forth to a friends house or anything like that though.