• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Choose a Basket

Blake_T said:
DB-5 = best durability in the under $200 range.

skillshot = best durability/catchability/price in the fully portable style.

discatcher sports rust.

insteps aren't portable enough to not be durable.

mach lites... look nice... heh. their durability is questionable and they don't catch all that well in comparison to similar products.
ive tried a skill shot and a mach lite and personally prefer the mach, for me it just seems to be more sturdy construction than that of the skillshot and i kind of like a basket that doesnt quite catch as well as a permanent one. my experience with my mach has been great, over a year of heavy use and not a problem yet :p

I have had good luck with a discatcher sport, kept outdoor in oregon 1.5 years still no rust, easy to break down. Catches well but not to well. The new gateway practice basket looks great for practice to with a retail of $150. Pics are up in the ask david mac post on pdga forums.

I've putted on a friend's Mach Lite, and it caught really good. Didn't have any spit outs in over a half hour of putting.

I've also putted on a M-14, and I had about 20% kick out, wouldn't recommend that one.

Dut said:
I have an instep and love it. It breaks down without use of any tools which is nice, just a couple pins that hold it together. I let mine sit outside for the past year and a half and its no worse for wear, with the exception of the little flag blowing off :cry:

I also didnt add a extra set of chains and dont see any reason to. It would probably catch better with them but as its just for putting practice its not a priority for me.

You gotta replace that with a Skull and Crossbones flag. That would rock and scare little kids and old laides. :twisted:

they've made a few nice revisions to the mach lite.

the early light basketball jersey like material (the type of material to where if it starts ripping, it doesn't stop ripping until you hit an edge or a seam) has been replaced by a bit heavier basketball jersey like material.

the legs that used to unfold every time you pick em up now only unfold about 1 out of 3 times when you pick em up.

the downside is that i've seen a lot of mach lites that were used as temp baskets for 1 or 2 day tournaments and... they ended up f'd up after 1 or 2 days...

the lack of rubber feet or at least bent metal on the ends of the legs is bothersome to me.

i would argue that the skillshot is MUCH sturdier than the mach lite.

in terms of spit zones, every basket has them.

e.g. for the skillshot it's dead center about 3" from the top when putted very hard (but this is its only spit zone).

i've found the mach lite has 3 (5 if you include putter angle dependence).

if they were the same price, i might be a bigger proponent of the mach lite, but at $40 more, i just couldn't justify it.

I have been loving my DB-5 so far, its great for a practice basket I dont really feel the need for a second set of chains for what it is. As far as weight goes its not bad at all, I bought it more so for the future its not bad at all for an apartment but I want to buy a house in the new future.
I had a skillshot for a few years and it was great for what it is and it will continue to serve camping duty until it has some kind of issue. I have putted on Mach Lites a few times and they always seemed a little off to me. I prefer the Mach Lite catching design to the skillshot but the stand seemed very weak, every putt resulted in a swaying basket. I cant really comment on the others and while it wasnt part of your question over the two truly portables I would go for the skillshot, if your looking for a semi-portable I would recommend the DB-5 hands down.
Andy

Fritz said:
www.discin.net

Wow, thanks for the link...

That Starfish... what an interesting idea that one is... I wonder how they came up with that...

I bet you it is great to practice on... forcing you to focus on a target smaller than a traditional basket...

Interesting...

Well, first I want to THANKS everyone for all your responses. This is what makes sites like this amazing (ahem, thank you Blake).

My decision: 2 InStep baskets.
Reason: Easier to carry up to my apartment (third floor, no elevator) b/c of the box. Less expensive and can get two for the price of one DB-5. Will add the second set of chains and w/ two I can have fun out on land and kind of set up my own course. Plus, there's one on clearance right now by me for $50...

pd

Im making my own all steel 24 chain basket in my garage right now. It is almost complete exsept a few welds and i need more chains so ill have all 24.

You can't go wrong for $50 a piece. Nice find. It should be nice to have a set. This will be my first summer with two baskets, and I'm looking forward to some camping.

I have a Skillshot and a Mach Lite. The skillshot definitely catches better. A hot putt with a small amount of hyzer will cut right through on the mach if you hit just right of the post. Those are the ones that piss me off the most. I'm planning on adding some chains to remedy that.

The wobbly basket on the mach doesn't really affect much, but just makes it seem cheap. If the base ID was a little smaller or the post OD a little bigger it would take care of the issue. the skillshot has some wobble as well, but not to the extent of the mach.

The BB jersey mesh is a little troubling to me, but we'll see how that holds up. Mine hasn't seen a lot of use yet. Alternately, the steel components on the mach are heavier than the skillshot.

One area that I have seen skillshots fails is the wire spring that holds up the basket. On older ones I've seen, this gets stuck inside the post. It's also a good spot to get your fingers pinched if you're not careful. The pin (bottom) and hook (top) on a mach is a better design. Skillshots also have a tendancy to overextend where the mach lite does not.

Considering price and catching ability, the skillshot is the better portable basket.

WIpilot said:
Im making my own all steel 24 chain basket in my garage right now. It is almost complete exsept a few welds and i need more chains so ill have all 24.
Nice! Be sure to post pics when you're done. I'm still debating whether or not to add the second set of chains to my DiscCatcher Sport.

sleepy

sleepy said:
WIpilot said:
Nice! Be sure to post pics when you're done. I'm still debating whether or not to add the second set of chains to my DiscCatcher Sport.

sleepy

ill be sher to do that.

I'll post a picture of how I did my Instep w/ inner chains.

I tried a few different ways & the way I have it now worked the best.

One single loop at the bottom. I tried the double loop like a Mach 3 but it would fight the disc entering.

Yes all wizards except for one.

Even with the extra weight it's still easy to transport around.

Umm. I guess that is all.

Latest posts