• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me reach 500!

dekdo

Double Eagle Member

In this video the run up got cropped out, but I slowed it down a bit to be more controlled and ended up throwing this d1 out about 420.

Ive thrown 470-480 a few times, but thats not something i can do with any consistency yet. 450 is more common for max D.

I've been told I lean back to much and I'm losing power bc of this. I have also been told I need to try and lean over the disc more. It also seems like I am too low and should be standing up more through the drive.

What do you guys think? Help me get to 500+ :thmbup:

You must be a giant. Your shoulder is releasing early before the front foot braces. You should be turned further back so your head is over the shoulder when the foot plants, this will also be a more upright position. Because you are leaning back away a bit, your head is behind the shoulder and you can't keep yourself centered between the feet, and your front foot loses it's bracing and spins out early. The leaning away also slows your rotational speed because you have to try and get yourself forward, so you are moving forward while rotating. You want to have the lower arm whip more forward faster and slow the shoulder's forward movement.

You must be a giant. Your shoulder is releasing early before the front foot braces. You should be turned further back so your head is over the shoulder when the foot plants, this will also be a more upright position. Because you are leaning back away a bit, your head is behind the shoulder and you can't keep yourself centered between the feet, and your front foot loses it's bracing and spins out early. The leaning away also slows your rotational speed because you have to try and get yourself forward, so you are moving forward while rotating. You want to have the lower arm whip more forward faster and slow the shoulder's forward movement.

lol yeah im 6'5. The video showing the lead card driving seems pretty helpful.. just gotta try and replicate what they are doing.

Thanks for the help!

I'll have to check out the other two videos when i get home from work

"Ive thrown 470-480 a few times, but thats not something i can do with any consistency yet. 450 is more common for max D."

Seriously? Are you just bragging or do you really think adding another 20-30ft will do something magical for your game? How's your putting game? Can you approach accurately from 250ft out? Not trying to be a jerk, and seriously...throwing 450 consistently (during a tourney) is probably as good or better than most pros, so congrats on that, but is this a serious thread? If so...just seems like the best advice is just keep on doing what you're doing. ???

"Ive thrown 470-480 a few times, but thats not something i can do with any consistency yet. 450 is more common for max D."

Seriously? Are you just bragging or do you really think adding another 20-30ft will do something magical for your game? How's your putting game? Can you approach accurately from 250ft out? Not trying to be a jerk, and seriously...throwing 450 consistently (during a tourney) is probably as good or better than most pros, so congrats on that, but is this a serious thread? If so...just seems like the best advice is just keep on doing what you're doing. ???

Granted I wish I had the problem of trying to go from 450-500.....but from my perspective I think everyone wishes they had another 20-30' at their disposal. There is always that one hole that is just out of reach that a few more feet can turn a long putt into a drop in 2. Besides, cleaning up the form enough to add that distance should pay dividends throughout the shorter game as well.

No im not trying to brag at all.. I know that there is still alot of room for improvement in my game. If i can get the distance there for the most part, then all thats left to focus on is control.

If i could throw 450 fairly accurately I would be pretty happy. If i can hit 500+ consistently then I should be able to improve my control on shorter shots anywhere from 400-450 and so on.

I have also been working on improving my form to prevent injuries.. recently tweaked my back and have just been getting over that.

Granted I wish I had the problem of trying to go from 450-500.....but from my perspective I think everyone wishes they had another 20-30' at their disposal. There is always that one hole that is just out of reach that a few more feet can turn a long putt into a drop in 2. Besides, cleaning up the form enough to add that distance should pay dividends throughout the shorter game as well.

Speaking of that, one of the local courses here is a 450 hole with water on the right the whole way.. Thats definitely a hole id like to be able to land within 30 of pretty consistently.

Also, I completely agree with that last part.

I don't understand this attitude. How can it not help to add 20-30ft to your drive, regardless of distance? Of course it's better to be able to throw 480ft consistently than it is 450ft. When you start getting into those distances, new lines open up on the course; more birdie opportunities as well. And it allows you to disc down on shorter holes. There is only upside, no downside.

Anyway, OP, your form looks pretty solid which makes it harder to critique. I'm kind of in the same spot as you in terms of distance, trying to break through the 460ft consistency barrier, so take my advice for what it's worth. It does look like you slowed down your drive a little bit, the "hit" especially doesn't look violent enough. It might be better to show your max distance drive. As it is, I would try getting more of your weight over the disc like you mentioned. Also, loosening/lowering your right shoulder on the pull through. Your form looks nice and loose overall, except for your shoulder, for whatever reason looks tight/out of sync.

I don't understand this attitude. How can it not help to add 20-30ft to your drive, regardless of distance? Of course it's better to be able to throw 480ft consistently than it is 450ft. When you start getting into those distances, new lines open up on the course; more birdie opportunities as well. And it allows you to disc down on shorter holes. There is only upside, no downside.

Yah, I could see where the "attitude" question came from, sorry about that. ;) It just seems if someone is already throwing 450 reliably and wants to add 30ft to their game, perhaps driving is not the place to look. After all, from watching countless videos, seeing local pros play, etc, etc, driving over 450ft is fairly...rare and most of the time it's done with a roller. Seems to me the pros take a slightly shorter/accurate drive and dial that extra 30ft in on the approach shot, or even better on a longer putt.

Ofcourse adding 30ft to a player that only throws 100 or even 200,300 ft would be fantastic, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think going from 470-500 is going to lower the op's score that much, unless he plays courses with no trees or no ceilings. ;)

Yah, I could see where the "attitude" question came from, sorry about that. ;) It just seems if someone is already throwing 450 reliably and wants to add 30ft to their game, perhaps driving is not the place to look. After all, from watching countless videos, seeing local pros play, etc, etc, driving over 450ft is fairly...rare and most of the time it's done with a roller. Seems to me the pros take a slightly shorter/accurate drive and dial that extra 30ft in on the approach shot, or even better on a longer putt.

Ofcourse adding 30ft to a player that only throws 100 or even 200,300 ft would be fantastic, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think going from 470-500 is going to lower the op's score that much, unless he plays courses with no trees or no ceilings. ;)

Not sure what pros you are watching, but plenty of them can drive 450' and beyond. Having the power opens up new lines.. even on the shorter holes.

Also, its just fun to be able to throw far. :D

The improvement in form from 450-500 also improves accuracy. Which will lower scores.

But anyway ... you can't practice putting all the time. You're going to throw a drive some time, and it's nice to know what to work when you are throwing them.

The improvement in form from 450-500 also improves accuracy. Which will lower scores.

But anyway ... you can't practice putting all the time. You're going to throw a drive some time, and it's nice to know what to work when you are throwing them.

^ THIS. I think some of the people preaching putting practice just aren't doing it themselves. Putting practice can suck, especially on an off day. I know you have to do it... Not important. But just getting out in a field and just throwing some max d drives, its just more fun.

Ignore the small arms, adding more D is always a plus. When you can be inside the circle on 500' flat holes that **** feels amazing. Not to mention being able to throw 500' on distance lines means you can probably hit 400' pure hyzers and annys and that is absolutely a shot that comes up a lot on bigger courses.