• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with the jump putt

Andy_MN

Par Member
Okay, I'm a pretty good putter inside the circle (~75%) and outside the circle isn't THAT bad, it's just that I see many people so consistantly nail the 40 ft jump putts when I am still trying to pitch putt at that range. I've tinkered with the shot before and had moderate success but never enough to make me feel more comfortable jump putting as opposed to my regular putt.

Can anyone break down the mechanics of the shot for me? I know that there are many different styles such as the step, straddle, and off-center stance, but I want to find one that doesn't make me feel as though I am completely handcuffed (which is how it usually feels) and doesn't put me 25 past the basket.

I'm a pretty decent jump putter. I'm better right outside the circle than right inside it. I stradle 95% of all my putts. I have the same stroke/motion except I reach down a bit more. My jumps kinda flutter like Jay "Yeti" Redding. On shot longer than 40-45, I also like to S my putts if I have the room. I hit a lot of metal from beyond the circle, don't make a ton of them, but I rarely have a long come back, where I have a chance at 3 putting.

I forgot to add that the reason I straddle, is because I feel like I can get the most umph that way. I played O Line and 3rd base, so its very close to "Athletic Position". I can get a big explosion this way.

With the straddle jump putt I've been told that the power comes almost exclusively from the legs. When I try this I'm pretty sure that I am leaving my feet before, or dangerously close to before, the release of the disc. How would you describe your weight transfer and explosion?

Think of a standing long jump, but not that exaggerated. My feet are about shoulder width apart, squated (not extreme, but bent), and on the balls of my feet. I putt like Cam Todd or Ron Russel, I glance at the basket to get the right angle then I take my eyes off the basket to my disc and feet, get comfortable and set, them look up and once I lock in to my point after a second, I putt. That way I'm not sitting there thinking about it. Its just a natural toss. (Think about how many times you miss a putt then pick up a disc and just fling it and it goes in). I do this same routine with both jump and stationary putts.

The weight transer isn't as big as it is is in a staggered stance, look at Schweby's putt, but when I start the weights at my butt, and when I finish its at my hand. The explosion comes from me pushing with my legs like when you're doing squats.

Here are a couple vids I took real quick with my cell phone, so excuse the crappy quality.\

http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=vid00006wrf.mp4

Thanks for the vids Dave, last one looked like you were going to fall into the camera! I went out to my basket and worked on the straddle jump like you described and actually had some success. I don't straddle putt all that often, mainly to take a stance around an object, but it didn't feel like a forced motion.

For the staggered jump, is it about the same thing - others can chime in here - or is it more of a fall than a jump? I tried to take Dave's style and convert to staggered and found myself basically falling through the putt and planting on my left foot (RHBH throw) as opposed to jumping through. Anyone putt like this or have any ideas?

watch Beato's putting vid. He explains the important points.

I have done the typical spin-straight at basket type of putt, switched then to a pitch-putt with very little spin and have since switched to the pitchputting Blake has been advocating. (and as being demonstrated Beato's putting vid)

The one important point/change for me has been POP. The last thing I try to focus on before I make my putt are the spot Im aiming at and to make sure I really accelerate it and pop it out of my hand. (And to help myself POP it, I try to keep my motion short (again as preached :wink: by Blake, because it emphasizes the need to POP as soon as you start your pitch.)

Dave's vid basically shows the same thing. He also accelerates it (fast)

Another good point of the POPtm is that you can use it with any style. I still prefer staggered stance, but because its such a short motion I can also use it with good results when straddling, kneeling and so forth. And I should mention that it has pushed my jumprange out pretty far. I usually dont jump until further out than 14-15 meters, unless the conditions dictate otherwise. (Ie. need to make a lower trajectory putt because of branches hanging in the way)

And on a final note you might see many people make the 12 meter putt, but I think there are very few people that can make this shot on a consistant basis, day after day. Again Blake had some numbers he recently posted on here, on putting percentages for typical pro and am players from varying distances.

And for people not familiar with the Blake pitch putt, read this: http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/shortarmputt.shtml

Make sure you are using your legs for the power (straddle or staggered stance). Your arms just put the disc on the line.

Nice vids dave. Jump putting in the bedroom :lol:

piece of advice Hysell told me was to make sure that the putter is leaving before your arm is fully extended.

Other than that, I think it's mostly about finding some movement that works well for you and then just doing it over and over until it feels natural.

I've found being able to putt straddle and split as well as spin and pitch/loft style have all been useful (vs only learning one type or stance).

dgdave said:
Here are a couple vids I took real quick with my cell phone, so excuse the crappy quality.\

http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=vid00006wrf.mp4

I hope you always put your left foot behind your mini

It's, probably, more of a timing issue more than a form issue just try slowing everything way down. It gives you more time to put the putt on the line you want and helps you really FEEL your wate shift which, I feel, is very important.

I don't know if this will help at all but I know it helps me alot to just slow down... alot.

DillonN said:
It's, probably, more of a timing issue more than a form issue just try slowing everything way down. It gives you more time to put the putt on the line you want and helps you really FEEL your wate shift which, I feel, is very important.

I don't know if this will help at all but I know it helps me alot to just slow down... alot.

Slowing everything down to feel the weightshift wont help at all with long putts. You will just be short and no where near the basket