• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Altitude Flight

mst534

Does any one know what effect playing at a high elevation has on a disc's flight? My thought is lighter air would make things more stable, kind of like throwing with a tailwind. Which seems to be true for some of my throws, but not others.

Any suggestions for discs to use would be helpful too? high speed? low speed? over/understable?

I would tend to agree everything is a tick more stable.

Discs I throw regularly at altitude are WAY more flippy at sea level

Time for another Colorado guy to weigh in.

I find discs to be more stable at altitude. I have watched people come to Colorado to play tournaments and they end up buying a Sidewinder or Avenger SS between rounds just so that can throw something straight.

The adjustment for me going down in elevation typically means that I am throwing more things on a hyzer and from time to time I will throw the more stable disc.

Discs are definitely more stable at elevation. When I first moved to Colorado, I went from just about sea level in Baltimore to about 9200' in Frisco, CO. My whole bag changed. Comets became Buzzzes and Buzzzes became Wasps essentially. My roller disc became a straight flyer, etc. I'm currently going through it again.. just moved to Denver altitudes a couple weeks ago.

Something I'm curious about, how does altitude affect distance? Iv'e been told higher elevation will let you throw farther, is there any truth to that?

Another concurrent thread on this:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86483

Here's a pull from my post there:
My personal impression is that for every 6000'/2000m, the flight numbers shift one notch, so a Roadrunner at 9/5/-4/1 becomes at 10/4/-3/2. My bag has a bunch of neutral and understable discs for Colorado; when I take it to sea level, most of my discs are almost too flippy to be useful. In other words, at altitude a TL becomes a Teebird, a Roadrunner becomes a Sidewinder, etc.

Latest posts