• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High tops v. Low tops

Do you prefer high tops or low tops for your Disc Golf shoe/boot?

• Total voters

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
Do you prefer high tops or low tops for your Disc Golf shoe/boot? And is the ankle support important to you?

(More geared toward mountain/woods courses)

I wear mid top hiking boots, which are about the same as high top regular shoes. The extra support helps keep away the ankle pain.

I voted high tops, but really mid tops. I need some ankle support. I rock low tops all the time, but they are my chilling shoes.

I'm a low top guy. I hate the feeling of my ankles being too restrained, which sounds ironic out loud. In the south, so I don't have to deal with a lot of severe winter weather.

I play in low hikers.

Generally high top hiking boots. I play a lot of mountainous courses with uneven terrain. Ankle support is key for me; a badly sprained ankle can linger and affect my play for weeks.

For manicured park courses I can get away with low top shoes, but that accounts for a low percentage of the rounds I play.

High tops (mid) all day, every day. I need the ankle support and the height of the boot prevents mud and water coming into the boot better.

I own mostly low tops, but don't think I have a concrete preference?

Hmm. I'm thinking about some mids this time around. The only draw back for me I'm thinking is the extra coverage equaling less breathability..

I've had mid high top Merrill Moab ventilators. Best disc golf and mountain biking shoes I've owned. I may re visit them or whatever's new in that family.

I wear high top dress shoes with my suits, high top baseball cleats, and high top DG shoes. The ankle support is a big deal to me!

I'm wondering what the age breakdown is for a high tops versus low tops.

I went low and am 45. I avoid high tops and will wear sealskins (diving socks) in the snow before I put on anything above my ankle. I am not a heavy weight and scamper around a lot and often. Ankles have never been a concern for support for me. long ago in a grunge faze I did wear timberlands, but for style over support.

With a durable, grippy sole and a rugged upper, I'll take a low top. I currently use a pair of New Balance "cross trainers." They're great unless it's particularly wet.

I'm wondering what the age breakdown is for a high tops versus low tops.

I went low and am 45. I avoid high tops and will wear sealskins (diving socks) in the snow before I put on anything above my ankle. I am not a heavy weight and scamper around a lot and often. Ankles have never been a concern for support for me. long ago in a grunge faze I did wear timberlands, but for style over support.

I think the terrain type is going to show a much higher correlation than age. But still worth thinking about.

I am 35, live in Georgia (so cold is usually never a factor), and play a mix of hilly and somewhat flat courses (nothing too mountainous or too flat, maybe an extreme hole here or there).

I prefer low tops and more to the point, prefer running or trail runners over hiking shoes if the conditions are nice. Occasionally I wear some waterproof low top Keens if it is muddy or possibly slippery on the more hilly courses.

Low top waterproof trail shoes from Salomon or North Face.

Muck Boots (Wetland model) if there is snow or if I have to go into the marsh at my home course after a disc.

I prefer mid-cut hikers. The ankle support and extra protection give me added confidence on the course. I like being able to stomp around anywhere during a round and not have to worry about my ankles rolling or getting scratched up from thorns or sticks.

Currently using Merrell Moabs but they are not handling my FH toe drag very well. Keens are the only boots that can stand up to the toe drag but I'm having a hard time finding a pair that isn't designed so wide.