• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] History of the ZONE

Alright Koda, since you asked so nice...
Here's a family portrait (minus the Big Z).

Column 1: Concave Pro D throwers
Column 2: Proto, Glo Zs, Black First Run Z
Column 3: ESP Worlds, Glo ESP, Concave ESP (thanks bpierce!!)
Column 4: Proto, New Concave Pro Ds
Column 5: Glo ESP, ESP, and Z throwers
Bottom two in the middle: Dan Howard Brainwaved Glo Z and a concave ESP (thanks again bpierce!!)
FamilyPortraitwithflash_zps5d8c3eab.jpg

Last edited:
Close up of the Protos
ProtoDsandWorldsESP_zps080bab0b.jpg

Detail on the Pro-D. These have, in Innova-speak, an L-mold wing compared to the production version's X-mold.
ProtoZonefront_zps30b86b2a.jpg

ProtoZoneback_zps884b6106.jpg

IMAG0369-1.jpg

IMAG0367-1.jpg

Nothing's for sale, sorry.

In regards to this post

Around the time of the Glow ESP release, that ZONE tooling appeared, along with what looks like a new top.

because of the zipper top molds from Innova that generally mean first run while tooling marks are ground down through molding, it looks like the Glo ESP has a new top to go along with its fancy tooling. None of my older molds have these kinds of markings.

GloESPZoneDetail_zps50f95591.jpg

Nothing's for sale, sorry.

In regards to this post

because of the zipper top molds from Innova that generally mean first run while tooling marks are ground down through molding, it looks like the Glo ESP has a new top to go along with its fancy tooling. None of my older molds have these kinds of markings.

You're killin me smalls, show all those bad to the bone discs and sell none. Just playin.......yeah I noticed that about the last 2 glo zones I had. Seemed zippertoppish, if that's a word.

The first ones were all black, our club in Ann Arbor received them from for our One Disc Challenge event, which was the traditional start-of-league event. (For many years we enjoyed new molds for this event, no longer the case since the Ace Race has become the new mold guinea pig.) I believe they had a generic Discraft stamp on them. Very hard to find. And easy to lose. Subsequent runs were more colorful. Early D pressings were very stable, that is not the case any longer from my experience. Be sure to give them a try as rollers.

Just to add to the thread and this post, here is the Prototype Zone. Same bottom hot stamp as Tbird posted above appears on the bottom.

Proto_Zone_Front_zpse8ncumkq.jpg

Just recently stumbled into one of these and doing some research on them I found this thread. Figured I would add the photo to help with the history of the Zone. Good stuff guys. :hfive:

Just snagged a first run Supercolor from the Discraft-Underground team captain... now I need one of those Texas protos.

Attachments

• OG Zone.JPG
    OG Zone.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 43
Over on MJ's thread a little while ago he said Discraft made the Zone for him while he was switching over from putting with innova rhynos. He wanted something similar and stable. So thank MJ for the Zone! (and now they make Ringer GT's for him as a Rhyno replacement).

Latest posts