• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holy Roller!!!!!

Fritz

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
HOLY ROLLER BATMAN!!! Shocked
Roller Distance (non-turf):
Open: 1156.00 m Randy Lahm (US, CO) 4/01/01 El Mirage, CA

For those who need feet conversation: 3,792.65 Feet.

More records found at http://www.wfdf.org/index.php?page=records/index.htm#distance

I asked Randy what disc he used to do that, can't wait to find out.

I like these ones:

Upside Down Distance:
Open: 125.45 m Jayme Wilson (USA) 10/16/93 Austin, TX

Mini Disc Distance:
Open: 124.00 m Christian Voigt (GER) 4/01/01 El Mirage, CA

Fritz,

Have you been living under a rock? That record is six years old and has been discussed several times on these forums.

If I recall correctly it was an aviar thrown with significant wind on a dry lake bed. About 80% of the distance was made with the disc propelled totally by wind as the disc wobbled from side to side like a drunken tumbleweed.

Under those conditions most of us would be able to achieve similar distances with a little luck.

roadkill said:
Fritz,

Have you been living under a rock? That record is six years old and has been discussed several times on these forums.

No, I've known about Randy's record for some time now, in fact he taught me how to throw a roller.
We were just talking about distance records and trivia on another forum and I thought I'd share it here because it's been a long time since we talked about that topic.
Those records are the most updated list. Some of them have changed, some remain.

roadkill said:
Under those conditions most of us would be able to achieve similar distances with a little luck.

But we didn't.
Isn't wind part of the game? Use it to your advantage. A record is a record. All the distance champions used tailwind for their drives. Are their drives any less great because of that?
I think not.

I think that there should be some regulations with regards to the wind. Sandstrom threw 820ft but with a 20mph tail wind. I think a max of 5mph winds should be put into effect, otherwise there's no relevance.

dgdave said:
dave9668 said:
So with a 20 mph tailwind could you throw 820ft?

what? You can't? Looks like someone needs to hit the practice field :wink:

I can only throw 800 with that kind of tail wind unfortunately, I need to keep on practicing.

There are records for longest drives in competition, but they are really hard to gauge since holes often have elevation changes.

To be truly comparable, you have to have a pretty guaranteed flat surface, IMO.

I do seem to recall something about the Cyclone being throw over 600 feet in competition less than a month after its release. I'm not sure if it was the record at the time, but it almost certainly had some downhill to it.

Elaine King hit the basket from over 800' away with her drive on the huge downhill shot on the Snowbowl course at the AZ worlds a few years ago. ( I believe it was the 2004 Worlds).

There are likely longer drives accomplished but I'd be surprised if anyone has hit the basket from further away during a tournament.

There's also been an ace from well over 700', but it was with a severe elevation drop.

roadkill said:
Elaine King hit the basket from over 800' away with her drive on the huge downhill shot on the Snowbowl course at the AZ worlds a few years ago. ( I believe it was the 2004 Worlds).

There are likely longer drives accomplished but I'd be surprised if anyone has hit the basket from further away during a tournament.

It was 2003 at Flagstaff, Arizona.