• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Koebel baskets.

Here is a pic of two different baskets that I have made. "I'm a welder" The wooded pic is #5 on my course. The one on the 3 legged stand is my portable design. Both are hot dipped galvanized.

Attachments

• #14 basket.jpg
    #14 basket.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 423
  • Koebel portable basket 2.jpg
    Koebel portable basket 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 465
Here is a pic of two different baskets that I have made. "I'm a welder" The wooded pic is #5 on my course. The one on the 3 legged stand is my portable design. Both are hot dipped galvanized.

Those look fantastic! I'm not sure I would have picked them out as home made right away if you hadn't said so.

I'd be too much of a perfectionist to make one myself. Plus if I thought I could I would have asked my Art Metal Welding teach to get me the right amount of metal for me to build one using their equipment. I'd rather leave it to the people who normally make them and even though it's d**n expensive I'd still spend the cash on one.

Found this on another site:

Anyone remember "K'Nex from the 80's?

4641_569415959209_51800649_33455616.jpg

...The 90's for me but yes! They are actually probably still in my basement(possibly still have the farris wheel put together).

Great First Post there Freak.
Glad you are here. Have you put Fern Valley Disc Golf Course in the system yet?
Can't wait to see pics and come up and play the thing!

Thanks Mashnut. I just wanted to make them once.

"Freak"?...
One of my other screen names is Disc golf freak or DGF for short.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself. So when I went to make some baskets for myself I wanted to improve on the original design. That's why mine have 2 sets of 11 chains and a better way to connect the chain rack and basket to the pole. Buy the way, I've been calling my design a "Catch 22" basket.

Great First Post there Freak.
Glad you are here. Have you put Fern Valley Disc Golf Course in the system yet?
Can't wait to see pics and come up and play the thing!

I haven't figured out how to add courses that I've played yet.

Hopefully I will get the weeds hacked off of the fairways real soon. The guys in Centraila are wanting to come and play too.

Finally finished one permanent basket for my personal use. She ain't pretty, but she catches pretty well. The chain and a couple S hooks were the only parts that I had to buy so I only had about $50.00 invested. I did make sure that all of the "free" components were within the PDGA size standards so the basket is within the official specs.

Home-made Disc Golf Basket 001a.jpg

Home-made Disc Golf Basket 002a.jpg

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity how much in materials do you have in a basket? And I don't mean using stuff you might have laying around the shop. But how much would it cost you to go out and buy the materials to make one basket? I've heard it said that it's not much cheaper.

But in any case those are nice work.

Just out of curiosity how much in materials do you have in a basket? And I don't mean using stuff you might have laying around the shop. But how much would it cost you to go out and buy the materials to make one basket? I've heard it said that it's not much cheaper.

But in any case those are nice work.

Thanks.

It is more expensive to make just one basket then it is if you make 19. The reason being is that it's alot cheaper when you buy all the materials in bulk. Then make 18 or more and have them all hot dipped at once. The metal used to make a single basket and chain rack is cheap, maybe around $30-40. Then you add the cost of good galvanized chain and the price jumps up another $45 per basket. Good chain is the bulk of the cost in baskets.

Thanks.

It is more expensive to make just one basket then it is if you make 19. The reason being is that it's alot cheaper when you buy all the materials in bulk. Then make 18 or more and have them all hot dipped at once. The metal used to make a single basket and chain rack is cheap, maybe around $30-40. Then you add the cost of good galvanized chain and the price jumps up another $45 per basket. Good chain is the bulk of the cost in baskets.

how did you weld the top of the basket?

Here's one from our Monster Garage Build-a-Basket Tournament.

Hell, people use baskets as BBQs anyway.

Attachments

• bbqbasket.jpg
    bbqbasket.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 343
I agree about the spatula, it just sets that basket off.:)

how did you weld the top of the basket?
Instead of bending the rods and welding them to the pipe like normal. On my basket design I added a 1/4 flat plate. Then I welded the pipe sleeve and chain rods to the bottom of that. I think it's a much stronger way to connect everything.

By the way, make a JIG to hold everything still.....

HMM

I found this basket on a course outside of Sturgeon Bay, WI. It looked like a private course that had possibly been abandoned because the grass was super tall and it looked like it hadnt been mowed the entire year.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 385

Latest posts