• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you choose a League???

Really the biggest thing here in Ft Collins, CO is that there is only 1 league! There is a great one down in Denver (Mile High) but having a 2 year old and one on the way does not work to well with traveling for disc golf.

People. Good guys to throw with. If you have good guys to throw with, endless rounds of talentless best-disc doubles on a crappy course with a lousy pay-out ain't so bad. Case in point: Hazelwood, MO. 80 guys (of which only a handful would be rated over 935) paid $15 per man this spring to play pitch & putt best-disc doubles on a course that has been obsolete since 1983 for a trophy-only payout. They do it for the same reason I wish I was there every Thursday night. There are some damn fine folks there. Very few good golfers, but some damn fine folks.

A dive bar nearby with cheap greasy food and slutty waitresses also helps. :p

I just like playing with new people and trying to improve my game, and of course picking up some cash on the way :D

Other things are letting people pick one or two people to play with, ace pools, CTP's. If you have some baskets, I know you could set up some temp holes in the area where Sundog does.

I think I'd prefer a weekly fee rather than a league fee, cause it would be hard for me to make it to a lot of them being from RW and all.

Mainly just to play, but I really like to play with people better than me who aren't dicks

We have 8 leagues in KC, but I normally play at the one close to my house (Rosedale on Wednesday), as well as a smaller league with a lot of my friends (Cliff Drive, soon to move back to Mondays). I also ran a traveling league on Mondays, and will probably do so again this fall or next spring.

A format that has worked out really well at a league here in Austin is to have an upfront fee (20 bones in our case) for a 10 week league. You only keep your 5 best scores and average them-so if you have to miss a week or two, or if you play really shitty one week, it's not catastrophic.

There are different divisions for different skill levels, and it's my favorite environment out of all the weekly events. I always seem to have a good time and play better because the format is competetive but fun.

Location, location, location.

I don't want to commit to driving all over town on a weekly basis. Right now I'm lucky enough to have a league running about a 15 min walk from where I live. It also doesn't hurt that $4 of every $5 entry goes back into the payout each week and there is free dinner after the round. After the first few weeks, I am still a few bucks ahead after paying my entries and paying into the ace pot each week.

Best deal ever for league play?

One thing I like about certain leagues is if they keep track of statistics. I don't know why but I love stats.

There is a park close to my house (central park, brooklyn park, mn) that I guess just started a new league. Its kind of strange, its completely on your honor. Meaning they will hold it on Friday and you can play the round at your discretion at any time, record your score and drop it in a box. No witness needs to be present. I guess there is even cash payouts.

Consequently I will not be playing in this league. How could any rational person play in this league? Personally, I know way too many people that embellish their scores when there isn't any money on the line to have any faith in other people's honesty.

Lots of things make or break leagues in Detroit...I'll see if I can cover the important ones...

MOST IMPORTANT: Location
So ok, there's these two courses not a mile by road from eachother. Wagner park has a thriving doubles league on Thursday nights, Starr park is a ghost town. I've tried to get people to play a league there (I started it and tried to run it), because it's a better, more challenging course than Wagner. Who showed? Me and my ride. Our all-time high attendance is 4 people.

If people don't WANT to play a course, they're not going to pay to play league there even if they're going to be taking money home.

Also important is picking a course LOTS of skill levels can compete at. The best league in Detroit is at an 18 hole pitch and putt, and it's the playability by the lower divisions that's not only helped it stay alive and grow, but helped the AM3s and AM2s deveop more quickly and to a higher level than they might playing somewhere that has a lot of shots that are out of their range or too difficult for them.

Next to think about: Format and skill level
These kind of go hand in hand, and I'll explain why. There's a league in the Detroit area that's a variable format league (they play what they feel like that week). These are real casual guys - not casual in the sense that they're the type of casuals we all hate, but in that they just want a fun simple league that nobody takes seriously. Thing is, most of them want that because they can't compete in normal leagues - so when you're laying money down to make some cash, and it's alternate shot (or even worse, worst shot) doubles, and you're stuck with captain 200 footer, it just doesn't work. I've seen sponsored pros end up in 5th or 6th against 800-900 rated players just because they got stuck with someone who'd have a rating of 6 if they ever signed up for the pdga.

Nobody plays that league either, except for maybe 8-10 guys.

The best leagues are well run singles leagues, with tracked stats. That's what people are expecting when they think leagues, if they're not a random draw doubles league. The best league in Detroit is the Monday night Motor City Chain Gang league at Firefighter's Park. This year we've only seen less than 100 people there a small handful of times (due to weather). It's $20 yearly for membership but you get a shirt and a disc with league logos for that. If you're a member, it's $1 weekly to play, non-members pay $2. We've got a normal ace pool anyone can be in (2/3 payout) and a super pool that I think is members only that's 100% payout.

The only thing about running a singles league I'd suggest is if you have an open (cash) division, don't use a handicap for that division. For the AM divisions go ahead, but from what I've seen open players just bitch and moan if they get beat on handicap, even if it's only to win $20.

Also really important is having a bunch of people that are fun to play with, but that's something that you don't have control over, and that will sort itself out naturally anyways.

Very nice breakdown by SkaBob. Those are all good points.

ferretdance03 said:
Eric O said:
...and there is free dinner after the round...
That's my kind of league night. Does someone involved with the league have ties to a restaurant?
This particular league is held at a course on private church property. They let us use their youth group building as tournament central, and church members volunteer to provide food and prepare it. It's pretty nice of them.

There is also a projector in there, so the detailed statistics are easy for everyone to view. They are also viewable online. The stats include each players handicap coming into the week, and where it will stand for the next week. (Yes, the league is handicapped, so it's accessible for all skill levels.)

When the league is running at max capacity with 5 players on every hole, the course is closed to casual play. I'd say they do just about everything right.

Agreed Eric, lunchtime league is the best around. It is really nice to have a well handicapped league because it means that everyone is your competition. It also means that the pot gets progressively harder to win. By the end of the season some guys have to shoot a 6 down to tie an am who shoots a 4 up. If you need details on the handicapping we can get them for you.

I went with the "just want to play option". I play in two leagues in Des Moines. One is the DSMDG league on Tuesday nights, and the other is on Monday nights, sponsored by a local disc retailer. On Monday, we have a chance at winning "funny money" to be used towards new discs/equipment, and the money from Tuesday night helps support our local club. Both "payouts" are great IMO, but mostly I like playing with better players or other guys who like talking about discs and technique. Been a great experience although I haven't played in either for two weeks due to band rehearsals and other after-work obligations, which still seem to involve more disc golf. :lol:

I'm going to go with location.
I live over an hour from the Twin Cities, so it's a rushed deal to try and make it there for league after work. So I started one here. In this smallish town where disc golf is pretty new, I have been getting a fair amount of people to show up. (14-17) Last year I tried to get one going, and had very poor attendance. The difference? I was alternating weeks with another course about 20 miles away. Evidently nobody wanted to make the trek to that other course even though it only takes 20 minutes to get there.

Right now we have 3 divisions, but I'm keeping stats and plan to go to a handicapping system in a couple weeks.

Eventually you will get some regulars that live in your area to come to your league, but good luck competing with TG and Solberg...you're best off scheduling your league on a different night than theirs.

Choosing is easy. There's only two options, one on my home course, one a couple kilometers away. First one's on monday, second wednesday. I try to hit both, but when I have to choose, I go for the monday.

edit: If there was something to choose from, I'd go to play with nice people who are better than me.

I only have one league to pick from and I'm pretty happy with it 5 dollar buy in, all of the money goes to the pot/ace fund. Free pizza and beer after the round. And every group is 420 friendly.

Latest posts