• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how do you grip side arm

gabster10001

im really bad at side arm throwing i can only get the disc to go 150ft and it hurts my hand so if you could show me pictures of your side arm grip that would be helpful to me and other people this problem

excuse the quality of the picture.

sjvxF.jpg

control shots:
P1010033.jpg

distance:
P1010030.jpg

max distance:
P1010015.jpg

Last edited:
i'm in the minority but i use a singe (index finger) grip. it basically feels similar to holding a pencil. it's deadly accurate and i can rip it out to about 350.

Similar to sidewinder's max power grip, except I use it for everything except the softest approaches, in which case I fan the fingers out just like his control shot picture. I messed around with a bunch of different sidearm grips until I settled on the one pictured.(My sidearm game is still quite lacking.) Really, you just want to get comfortable.

Good luck.

Attachments

• P1040964.jpg
    P1040964.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 17
the standard 2 finger, middle finger on the rim and my index straight up against the middle finger. never tried anything else, never needed to..

^^sidewinders figure 2. just got the images.

I use sidewinders distance grip. Im sidearm dominant and can throw an ape and xcaliber around 400-425.

excuse the quality of the picture.

sjvxF.jpg

Interesting that you have the pads of your fingers against the flight plate. All the advice I've seen says you must get the pad against the rim. I've always found the grip your using to be the most comfortable, but I've never been able to get it to work well... although, I've never been good at flicks with any grip... another thing to work on.

Whichever grip you use there's a few main points. To get maximum torque or leverage on the disc, make sure the pads of your finger(s) are against the rim, instead of the flightplate. This way when u snap your wrist on the follow-through, all that energy will be applied to the forward motion of the disc. Also make sure u have a tight 'pinch' between your thumb and whichever finger(s) are under the rim. Again, this is to ensure a good transfer of energy to the disc.