• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are we just making things up with nose angle stuff now?

The least confusing thing to call it for my brain is the strong af wrist.
Right. Like everything, it's going to vary by person. The pullup position makes a lot of sense. In a pullup, you're going to naturally have your wrist in the strongest position which will be neutral to light flex. Certainly not extension unless you're a savage

Right. Like everything, it's going to vary by person. The pullup position makes a lot of sense. In a pullup, you're going to naturally have your wrist in the strongest position which will be neutral to light flex. Certainly not extension unless you're a savage
Haha I can do full arm extension one-arm pullups so I might be something of a savage in this particular regard. I can totally do pull-ups with tons of extension, but its not stronger by any means.

let's see a 1 arm muscle up
Lol Im terrified to go look to see if this is possible. Well, if you can be fully dynamic it actually might be, but I've always trained far more for static strength in this regard.

I used to be an extremely hardcore boulderer, I still try to maintain some semblance of my younger self but its no where close anymore.

We can solve some of this hyper circular wrist discussion with masking tape.

Tape the wrist flexed, tape the wrist extended. Throw. See if it breaks. Get funky and tape it neutral and see if the tape breaks.

Put some tape on your elbow at what you would consider full extension and then throw and see if it breaks.

Lol Im terrified to go look to see if this is possible. Well, if you can be fully dynamic it actually might be, but I've always trained far more for static strength in this regard.

I used to be an extremely hardcore boulderer, I still try to maintain some semblance of my younger self but its no where close anymore.
I bouldered hard from 2015 to 2023. Wish I could keep doing it but couldn't do that plus DG or plus pickleball, was too much, not enough rest.

I always wanted to train for a 1 arm pullup but I never got around to it because I was always too close to injury from just limit bouldering lol. What grade did you get up to? I'm assuming pretty high since you got to a 1 arm strength.

Tape the wrist flexed, tape the wrist extended. Throw. See if it breaks. Get funky and tape it neutral and see if the tape breaks.

Put some tape on your elbow at what you would consider full extension and then throw and see if it breaks.
At first, I read this as taping your wrist in a particular orientation and see if your wrist breaks. Long day so far

Great idea. I voluntell Neil

So, maybe a person mummified in masking tape head to toe can tell us all of the arcane secrets of the swing...

Hmmmm

I bouldered hard from 2015 to 2023. Wish I could keep doing it but couldn't do that plus DG or plus pickleball, was too much, not enough rest.

I always wanted to train for a 1 arm pullup but I never got around to it because I was always too close to injury from just limit bouldering lol. What grade did you get up to? I'm assuming pretty high since you got to a 1 arm strength.
Outdoors I have sent many v11s, and tons of v10s. Indoors I could climb most anything that my climbing dungeon set in a sane way that was possible, grades indoors are meaningless though imo.

I had to stop largely because I was tired of finger injuries. Popping pulleys is no fun and takes ages to recover from, and my hobbies require...obsession lol. Taking time off just sucks too bad.

Your visual stick game was nice. I think that in the real world for disc golf it does confuse people to ask whether the "stop" is "active" or "passive," in which case some time with your thought experiment is well-spent (IMHO).

I actually don't think (anymore) that it's about a 'stop' kind of idea. I'd even say that it isn't particularly necessary for one link to be slowing down at all in order for the next to overtake.

Once a lever has stopped accelerating (at the end connected to the next link) its work is largely done, even if it's still moving very fast. In a long multi-link system, there are (kind of) two forms of acceleration - the whole link being accelerated by all the links before it, and then the end of the link accelerating from it's own rotation. I think that the decrease in acceleration as the links further ahead stop pulling could be enough to mean that the maximum acceleration of the tip of the link (ie the maximum 'pull' on the link behind) need not be at the moment of maximum angular velocity (maximum rotation speed). (And so, for example, i don't think the wrist needs to reach neutral or extension to be maximally accelerating the disc).

So - i don't think it's necessary to 'stop' anything, and i don't think it's intuitive to work out where the best place/time to stop would actually be. The interactions between links muddy the waters.

I think we see this a bit in the high-speed whip video - the very tip goes fastest, but various other parts near the tip are still going very fast at the same time. At a macro level it looks like the whip stops, sequentially, down its whole length, but that isn't actually true.

When i talk about the whip and its similarities to a throw, I'm always using it to explain why the arm needs to be looser, to be allowed to move in the (often complex and counterintuitive) ways it needs to when pushed and pulled by other parts of the whip. It definitely isn't a simple linear sequence of 'stop this bit' then 'stop this bit' etc etc. And trying to understand how one bit 'should' move is a mug's game. Stop controlling things and let the whip whip. All the real work with the levers in your arm is done in creating a good starting position from which the whip will be efficient, not anything during the throw.

Outdoors I have sent many v11s, and tons of v10s. Indoors I could climb most anything that my climbing dungeon set in a sane way that was possible, grades indoors are meaningless though imo.

I had to stop largely because I was tired of finger injuries. Popping pulleys is no fun and takes ages to recover from, and my hobbies require...obsession lol. Taking time off just sucks too bad.
Haha, yeah same about the obsession part. DG is easier on the body overall it seems and one of my first thoughts was, great, maybe I found an athletic hobby I can do for the rest of my life! Outdoor v11 is pretty sick, nice job.

My gym grades were like 1 to 2 softer than outdoor stuff but I got to V8 indoors just before 1 year and with the prior 5 months having to climbing light to recover from tendonitis in both arms from obsessively climbing for the first 5 months straight, lol. Outdoors I shoulda had my first V7 within my first year but only did like 3 outdoor trips and then after getting a few 7s outdoors I kinda became a gym rat and got up to v9 at a gym with respectable grades.

So I came into DG with that same obsession and focus on improving quickly to make up for lost time, hah. Thankfully I got nothing worse than strains in the fingers and knees.

Do you also roll your eyes a bit when you hear people complain about the power grip not being comfortable? Haha, I think to myself, man, don't ever try rock climbing. So many routes outdoors are literally stained with finger blood, lol.

Haha, yeah same about the obsession part. DG is easier on the body overall it seems and one of my first thoughts was, great, maybe I found an athletic hobby I can do for the rest of my life! Outdoor v11 is pretty sick, nice job.

My gym grades were like 1 to 2 softer than outdoor stuff but I got to V8 indoors just before 1 year and with the prior 5 months having to climbing light to recover from tendonitis in both arms from obsessively climbing for the first 5 months straight, lol. Outdoors I shoulda had my first V7 within my first year but only did like 3 outdoor trips and then after getting a few 7s outdoors I kinda became a gym rat and got up to v9 at a gym with respectable grades.

So I came into DG with that same obsession and focus on improving quickly to make up for lost time, hah. Thankfully I got nothing worse than strains in the fingers and knees.

Do you also roll your eyes a bit when you hear people complain about the power grip not being comfortable? Haha, I think to myself, man, don't ever try rock climbing. So many routes outdoors are literally stained with finger blood, lol.
I hear ya, I got hurt early on too. Climbing is super addicting to the right mind, and if you go into it somewhat athletic/strong, its very easy to go too hard too fast. And honestly that never changes if you are obsessive, its always flirting with injury it felt like.

I really do think that grip related strength/coordination does help a lot with throwing a disc hard. In climbing, you develop really bizarrely elevated ability to recruit those muscles in a way that almost no other activity even resembles, and it seems directly relevant to me.