• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is enough?

How much D?

• 250'

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 300'

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • 350'

Votes: 71 32.6%
  • 400'

Votes: 68 31.2%
  • 450'

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • 500+'

Votes: 19 8.7%

• Total voters
For me, I'll be happy with getting out to about 400-425, and then just having a sharp game w/in 100-150 ft.

Since the injuries, I'm only throwing about 200 or so. I can do more if I want to suffer the pain. (Sometimes it's worth it.) I still throw par on a lot of courses. All things considered, I'm happy.

Renny in Charlotte. Gold Course has a 1012' hole (or something like that). Want to feel weak? Just play that hole on a Carolina summer day. :wall:

hole 11 is 1042....winnie gold hole 5 is 1054....renny also has a 600+, a 700+ and a 900+. think about it though.....1000= 250+250+250+250 and a drop in par. most courses have the ability to make up strokes as well with accuracy. i know for me, my rounds would be so much better if i played for 250 or less each shot vs trying to throw 500+ which ive done 3 times ever....just saying:D

DRIVE FO SHO.....PUTT FO DOH!!!

I played Adv Masters mostly and and was winning frequently, then stepped up to Pro Masters a few times in 2011. My regular accurate golf distance tops out at 300-320 although once in awhile I can get to 340. That is plenty of D to win Adv Masters, and will get into the cash in Advanced too. The young guys can throw far but I can catch up to them in the short game if its going well. But I definitely need more D to be able to compete in Pro Masters, because most Pro Masters can throw farther than me, AND have the short game to match it. I voted for 350.

350ish with accuracy is really all you need in terms of distance. The majority of strokes are still lost in the short game and scrambling. No matter how much it is emphasized, accuracy and putting are still what the game is all about.

1000' holes? 350 with accuracy and a good short game will still get you a 4. Of course if you can bomb and you have a good short game, you're probably one of the best in the world. You can still be one of the best in the world if you don't have a huge arm and can putt/approach.

i voted. shame on me! 400 is all you need to win tourneys....Barry Shultz does bomb a little further than that but usually rolls anything rather than a 400 plus shot.

he kills with his short game and upshots.

I would say 400 feet would be just fine. I am not a that level...yet. However having a good long drive doesn't always add up to success. On a local hole, a guy in front of us threw past the basket on a 500 foot hole. My drive was about 350ish. We both ended up getting a par 3 for the hole. Therefore having a longer drive doesn't always help.

To be competitive, 400 with precision is usualy enugh.

But enugh ? NEVER ! There is that distance record that needs to be broken.

My only experiences are in intermediate and advanced. But you can win/place top 5 every advanced tournament with 350 and accuracy. I got my rating up to 950 that way.

To be competitive, 400 with precision is usualy enugh.

But enugh ? NEVER ! There is that distance record that needs to be broken.

Speaking of distance records, I willing to bet that the womens record falls in the near future to Catrina Allen. She crushes.

I'd love to be able to hit 450. With that you would have the potential to park most short to medium length holes and land within putting distance on the second shot of pretty much anything else. Currently my best on flat ground with no wind is 341ft with an average of 300 to 330.

350 accurately will win pro tournaments depending on putting skills. Alot of courses around here only require a 200 ft max drive however they require marksman precision.

I put 350, as that is my short term goal this year. From what I see, especially in the Charlotte area (Renny Gold and the like notwithstanding), being able to hit 350 consistently and accurately will get you birdie potential on most courses.
I have been playing for 7 years, but only recently tried to actually better my game from the horrible form I learned by just hucking and hoping. I can hit 225 consistently and pretty accurately, but farthest throw in open field practice so far is about 275. Side note, any Charlotte based players wanna come meet up and give me some tips on more D would be much appreciated.

I voted 350' as well. That's about my "controlled placement" distance anyways...