• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How hot is too hot?

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
Okay so I am severally allergic to poison ivy. That being said, I played a course yesterday that was nothing but.... So I kind of freaked out and a little ocd kicked in so I literally washed all my discs and my bag in my utility tub. I am fairly new to disc golf so I'm not sure if I used too hot of water. I just turned on my hot water from the tub and scrubbed em clean... Do you think this could be too hot or do you have to pretty much boil them to cause damage?

Look on the internet and search for urushiol oil, this is what people are allergic to. It's not the hot water that will remove the oil from your disc but a detergent recommended by others to clean it off of hard surfaces.

Look on the internet and search for urushiol oil, this is what people are allergic to. It's not the hot water that will remove the oil from your disc but a detergent recommended by others to clean it off of hard surfaces.

I used dish soap detergent. I just need to know how hot of water is too hot and will damage this discs.

The plastic won't melt at boiling, but it will soften. If you do put your discs in hot water be sure they cool on a flat surface with the flight plate up -- you could even put them in your fridge.

For common commercial grades of medium- and high-density polyethylene the melting point is typically in the range 120 to 180 °C (248 to 356 °F).
The melting point for average, commercial, low-density polyethylene is typically 105 to 115 °C (221 to 239 °F).

Highly doubtful your hot water heater gets up over 200 °F and if it did, you'd be looking at some severe burns to your hands long before you damaged your discs.

Okay so I am severally allergic to poison ivy. That being said, I played a course yesterday that was nothing but.... So I kind of freaked out and a little ocd kicked in so I literally washed all my discs and my bag in my utility tub. I am fairly new to disc golf so I'm not sure if I used too hot of water. I just turned on my hot water from the tub and scrubbed em clean... Do you think this could be too hot or do you have to pretty much boil them to cause damage?

Boiling or near-boiling hot water can affect a disc's shape. I was trying to "tune" my FAF overstable Valkryie and used boiling water in an attempt to introduce a bit of dome.

But what comes out of your hot water heater isn't that hot. If you wash your discs in warm water with soap, there should be no damage to your discs.

Friction is what really gets it off. If you just use that oil it may get some off but not all of it. (Coming from a guy that gets hospitalized if i touch poison ivy)

The plastic won't melt at boiling, but it will soften. If you do put your discs in hot water be sure they cool on a flat surface with the flight plate up -- you could even put them in your fridge.

^^^This.

An additional thought:
It depends on the type of plastic. Baseline plastics are more susceptible to being warped or re-formed in hot water. Higher grade/premium discs are much less likely to be affected.

But for all discs (as some others have mentioned), if the water isn't scalding your hands it's not going to have much/any affect on the disc geometry. I have heard of people trying to deliberately tweak their discs' geometries using hot water, but usually they use water that's near boiling and submerge the disc for an extended period. Compared to that, a quick scrub under the hot water tap is pretty negligible.

As far as poison ivy goes: I feel your pain. That's one of the things that I don't miss about living in the midwest.

I used my meat thermometer and my water is coming out at 140 at full blast on hot. I don't see any warping on my discs but I'm not a pro and I don't know what to look for lol. I had it closer to full blast but not entirely that hot

Friction is what really gets it off. If you just use that oil it may get some off but not all of it. (Coming from a guy that gets hospitalized if i touch poison ivy)

This. Use something like dawn and a rag to scrub them. Water doesn't need to be hot that it hurts your hands, 105F-115F should be plenty.

How do you tell if your discs are warped? I placed all of them on a flat surface and pushed around the edges to see if there was any wobbling like a table with an in even leg and the only one to get anything is my gateway wizard in sss. It had just. Alittle give to it... Could it be softer plastic...'or am I worrying about something that isn't gonna matter?

You are fine. They are fine. Hot water does make a stamp come off easier. But the disc won't take damage and just might pop back in to shape if anything. It didn't warp them. Nothing a hot car and an unattended bag wouldn't do anyway. When my discs warp, from trees or a hot car and an akward position, I just stick them on my dashboard in the heat, and they go back to shape. If it is winter time, I boil water, let it cool just a bit, put the disc in for a few minutes, and then let it cool on a flat surface. Running water won't get hot enough for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts