• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many pros have minimalist setups?

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
This doesnt have to apply only to sponsored super pros, just whatever your definition of pro is

Is it even reasonable to have a minimalist bag if you are touring and playing a ton of different courses?

Do most of these guys go through the minimalist phase and move on, and trust their skill and have the confidence to not over complicate something when they have so many options disc wise?

Or do they just bag whatever discs they bag and worry less about overlap and things?

Only one I can vouch for is George Smith. He carries very few discs for most of the rounds I've played with him. Last time he had Champ Vulcans, Star Eagles, E Illusions, S Demon, DX Rocs, and wizards. He's been known to carry a super puppy from time to time as well, and might carry a spirit but he never throws them in town - the holes he throws big hyzers on are all pretty short.

I'm sure the information isn't accurate, but a lot of the guys on the Innova site list their bags like...

Aviar/ Rocs/Teebirds/Firebird + 2 to 4 distance drivers. It isn't 3 molds but its pretty simple to me?

I thought I read that Seppu is pretty minimalistic with his set up. I think it was in the DG Magazine.

Check out MurderMike's "In the Bag" youtube video series. He has some good vids with a few pros describing their particular setups.

The murdermike series is really good and it seems like a lot of them carry a few molds they really love and then 2-3 utility or specialty discs.

What is weird is you watch those in the bag series and then watch some DGM or something and you see those dudes throw like the same 5-7 discs over and over again.

Dig It said:
I thought I read that Seppu is pretty minimalistic with his set up. I think it was in the DG Magazine.
Seppo's bag for 2011 was something like this:

2x C-line PD

2x S-line PD

2x S-line TD

1x C-line TD

1x C-line DD2

2x P-line PD2

1x C-line PD2

2x C-line MD2

1x S-line Gremlin

1x SG-line MD1

1x D-line MD1

4x D-line P2

Though he wrote that in February 2011, he changed it a bit during the season. Mainly adding the flat C-MD2's.

It think that despite FD carrying something like 40 discs with him he actually has a quite simple core in his bag. Two putters (Aviar/Rhyno), two mids (Roc/Whippet-X), three fairway drivers (Teebird/Eagle/Firebird), two distance drivers (XCal/Destroyer) and some utility discs (Proto Pro Bosses and a Sidewinder). Not that complicated, moldwise.

Latest posts