• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much D will the Power Grip Add?

dgdave

* Ace Member *
I switched to the Climo Fork Grip from a Power Grip about 1 1/2 years ago and have been getting more D, when I get more than 1 round a month, and doing it more consistanly. I have worked on my form a lot and I think thats where most of the D has come from, but will I see a bump if I switch back to a power grip for drives?

Lately I have been more and more convinced that what type of grip you use is not nearly as important as having sound throwing mechanics (ie. timing, acceleration) I think this is probably also the reason that there are so many different grips out there. IE. You can get a lot of different ones to work. So as long as you can hold on to the disc and not throw noseup, your grip is fine IMHO!!

I think you will see a power increase with the power grip. Blake got me to switch, and now I am using it even for upshots. Everything flies farther straigher and truer than with the fork grip. It is real easy to tell the differnce when you try throwing midrange disc both ways.

Using the power grip for upshots gives me at least 5% more D on drives and lets me sneak approach shots between all kinds of trees because I can execute the shot with less reachback and don't have to turn my head away from the gap I'm trying to hit.

I think the power style grip imparts more spin on the disc. I think that mostly because your fingers act as a smaller pivot point for the disc, as compared to the fork grip.I throw with the fork grip for any shot that needs to be accurate, but will go to a power grip for holes with over 400' distance. I get more distance with a power grip all else equal. It adds at least 20' on a 400' downhill shot at my local course.

I think though that you could get similar results with the fork grip though with just practicing better form (like you said dgdave).

I believe it depends on how well you use the grip. You can throw shot range, screwed up shots with any grip and long bombs with any grip. All depends on if you throw the disc right. :)

I personally switched to power grip (from some kind of weird fan grip) about a month ago and have consistently hit 30-40' farther than previously; however, i also adjusted several of the mechanics of my throw in order to get the nose down, which I'm guessing had more of an effect./

Beetard said:
I think you will see a power increase with the power grip. Blake got me to switch, and now I am using it even for upshots. Everything flies farther straigher and truer than with the fork grip. It is real easy to tell the differnce when you try throwing midrange disc both ways.

I find the opposite to be true. With the power grip, not only can the disc wobble more in your hand (because you're not getting the up/down wobble support you do with any sort of fork/fan grip), but you're holding it in place with more points of contact which is inherently less stable for the type of support and motion you use in disc golf. I found very early on that a fork grip was more consistent for shots that require a high degree of accuracy, and that this was especially evident in midrange and upshot play. It's also far more difficult to throw touch shots with a power grip because your fingers have to uncurl and open up to let the disc rip out, which requires you to use more power to get the disc out of your hand than with a fork/fan grip.

For a long while I still drove with a power grip, but I've noticed a significant gain in both accuracy and distance since I switched to a fork grip for driving, as well. You can adjust nose angle with your fingers without losing grip strength, as well as adjusting with your wrist. You can also get more (and more consistent) control of stability with varying thumb placement without losing pressure at your pinky or index finger.

i get more consistent power with the climo grip. It is also more accurate. I consider the climo grip essential for driving with rocs because I can support the flight plate much better. Really I can get about the same D with both, but I get more consistent accuracy with the climo grip. I think there are so many variables such as hand strength and size that really it's what works best for you. I have big hands and a strong grip (13000+ on the powerball) and find the climo grip superior to the power grip. If you have weaker hands then perhaps you need the extra support for your index finger.

i seem to get a snappier throw with the fork grip (more spin also) but i seem to be less consistant than driving with the power grip??!! i think i may just need to adjust to the fork grip a bit more as it seems to change the feel/placement of my hit

Latest posts