• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how much does weight matter?

paul buyun

I've finally found the discs that I feel comfortable throwing. I'm wondering if I can eke out a few extra feet if I drop anywhere from 5 to 10 grams on the discs. Will it make that much difference, or should I just continue to work on form?

Lighter discs are usually a tad more understable and easier to get up to speed, both of which can aid distance. So the answer would be yes, but that distance is coming just from disc selection. True distance increases come from better form and increased snap.

jubuttib said:
Lighter discs are usually a tad more understable and easier to get up to speed, both of which can aid distance. So the answer would be yes, but that distance is coming just from disc selection. True distance increases come from better form and increased snap.

That was a great answer. IMHO throw what ever weight you are comfortable with, then stick to that weight as best you can.

I agree with both of you. I think that I will keep the weights I'm throwing, and try to focus on form. I'm generally shooting plus 3 or 4, and it's usually my putting that is killing me, so form and snap and putting practice should be my priorities. Thanks for the input.

Jeronimo said:
IMHO throw what ever weight you are comfortable with, then stick to that weight as best you can.
I can't say I can feel a difference between my 168 and 174 (marked 172) P-PD, but I do notice if the disc goes under 160. Personally I don't really mind the weight of my disc so much, I've got everything between 156 and 175 in my bag and I don't feel anything different when eg. I'm throwing my 169 S-PD against my 175 S-PD. They fly a bit differently, the 169 being a FR and a bit more stable, but they feel excatly the same when I throw.

So again, to me disc weight is more a question of disc selection, since different weights tend to behave differently. Apart from putters, which I always try to get at max weight, I try to find the discs in weights where they fly like I want. 5g is what an A4 sheet of paper weighs, doesn't matter much in feel but can make a difference in how the disc molded up and cooled down.

treekiller said:
I've finally found the discs that I feel comfortable throwing. I'm wondering if I can eke out a few extra feet if I drop anywhere from 5 to 10 grams on the discs. Will it make that much difference, or should I just continue to work on form?
It'll be a little easier to get the disc to it's cruising speed, but it's still the same disc. Some discs just feel like "too much" for me so I go a little lighter with them. I just don't like to have the weights of my discs too far apart, it screws me all up.

My discs, drivers and mids, are around the same weights; from 170 to 175, while my putt/approach are 180. I wasn't sure how much difference a 5 to 10 gram change would make to the distance of the discs. I didn't think that I would feel much of a change in handling the discs, but would it be enough of a weight differential to get an extra 10 to 20 feet out of them. I think that the indian needs more work than the arrow. I will concentrate on form and consistency over disc weights. Putting is my biggest obstacle and if I can become more proficient at that, I think I can lower my average.

i quote Yeti on this day after day...

"throw the lightest weight you can manage"

which i take to mean, don't throw a 150 for 150s sake. but try that model at lower weights than what you're used to. if it's enough to give you that warm n fuzzy that it'll rip out when needed, give it a chance.

personally, i can't manage any 150 Leopard. 167+ in Champ or Star, and a full 175 in worn DX is where I get them to sing. Sidewinder at 175, a little beefy... 150, way too light.... but a 167 gives me a solid throw, and i get some extra work out of it.

i see it as a speed- and performance-based thing. is the model well within your armspeed range? do you have more than enough juice for it? do you ever want to flip it? or do you need it to stay stable?

Most of my discs are 170+, but my P-DDs (max D) are 167 and 168 and I love my P-PDs in different weights. The 156 drove out my DX Sidewinders as my flippy disc, the 168 turns and holds like neither you or I would believe, comes back if there's room, and the 174 is just laser.

I find it much easier to throw distance drivers that are ~170g than max weight, and I do get more distance from the lighter ones by 10 feet or so on average with better control over the whole flight.

However, for penetrating wind and even just for hyzers, you'll often want max weight. Usually, if I have more than one disc of a given mold, one is max weight and one is a little lighter. Either that or I carry them in different stages of wear.

How much does weight matter?
Not as much as disc shape and disc skills IMO.
I have thrown my 150g Champ or Star Leopards into the wind and they won't turn. I have seen other people throw their max weight TeeRexes into the same wind and they flipped like crazy. On paper my Leo should have turned and burned and the TeeRex should have held its line but skill makes all the difference. I also select my Leopards with a specific shape that makes them more overstable than your average Leo. I think it was a combination of these 2 factors that led to the situaltion I described above.

If I were you I wouldn't quibble about +/- 5 grams. Find the shape you like and try to match that. When I say shape I am referring to:
PLH
Dome
wing angle
nose radius
etc

You can select a slightly different shaped disc to get more distance. Unfortunately there are no concrete rules like "domier is always less overstable." The one rule I have found to be mostly universal is that higher PLH is more overstable and vice versa. There have been some exceptions but I think they are infrequent enough to be labeled freak exceptions.
It might take some group-think to help you select your perfect disc. Just ask and we will answer.

I chose the weight of my discs based on each discs' speed range.

My fairway drivers and midrange discs are at or near max weight. Max weight discs perform slightly better for me in windy conditions and allow a more consistent release. Because I value consistentcy and reliability in fairway drivers and midranges, I chose max weight discs.

My distance drivers are in the 170-172g range. For distance drivers, a faster arm speed is essential, so I choose distance discs in a lower weight class to help me get the disc up to its required speed. In fact, I would probably like my distance drivers to be in the 165-170g range, but my home course is pretty open and windy and I worry that a 165g disc might flip on me.

I carry two putter weights. I have a 162g that I use exclusively for jump putts. I find that lighter putters really help me increase my range on these shots. My other putters are in the 170-172 range. For me, this weight is heavy enough for driving my putter and still light enough for me to snap a standstill upshot. If I were to specialize further, I would choose max weight for a driving putter and 170g for upshots.

Using lighter plastic doesn't mean you have to stop working on form. It can actually force you to practice your form more. Some people try lighter plastic for just a few throws and think they have too much power for it, but what is really happening is they have a small amount of OAT that is much more visible with lighter discs. The best way for you to find out where you stand is to buck up and buy a lighter disc...get it used or buy it new and trade it later to mitigate some of the cost. Just be sure to to give it a fair shake. Throwing your favorite broken in disc will probably go farther than a brand new disc which hasn't broken in at all yet regardless of weight.

I'm going to have to side with Damson here and say Yeti's advice is pretty solid. Throw the lightest weight you're comfortable with, I think that's great advice. For me, that's 160g on some discs, 165 on others, but I try very hard never to go over 171g.

The difference of a new with flashing 175 Star Teebird to a almost new with almost intact flashing 149 *TB is 50' and a straight flight for the light one and meathook for the max weight. Not every mold has this large of a difference but those overstable TBs are too much for me. Unless it's a stiff headwind where it's too flippy for me.

This weekend I threw an even par round at my home course. I really worked on form and which disc to do the job for the hole I was on. I practiced my putting and it really showed on the course.

I already have a couple of lighter weight discs (165 Pro Wraith and 165 Champ Valkyrie) that I will try while doing some field work and see how they work for me.

It has taken me a while to whittle down which discs work best for me, and now I'm trying to tweak these discs so I can get the best performance I can. I throw both RHBH and RHFH and I am working on form to try and be as consistent as I can. My putting is the weakest aspect of my game. I am trying to be more consistent on getting in as much practice as I can because I can directly see the results when I have been practicing.

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate all the great suggestions and opinions.

Latest posts