• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to attract new players

just show them this

attachment.php

Wait a sec! That's my sister!.... I'LL KILL YOU!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I really like the ideas of the BBQ and the free discs.

Thanks bunch you all some really great ideas!!!!

i have been having this problem myself since i started running the local league. there are a lot of small things you can do to get players coming out, the hard part is keeping them coming out on a weekly basis. here are a few things i've tried that seem to work.

-stick with random doubles, it makes things more casual then with singles
-offer ctp's for small prizes, discs, or small amounts of cash
-ace pool (when an ace pool gets big, players flock weekly to try and hit it)
-buy, sell, trade days where players can bring there unwanted plastic
-disc golf clinics to help newer players improve
-group bulk disc orders (littleflyer has a great deal on bulk order over 25 discs)
-bbq after the round....a big pack of hotdogs and buns are inexpensive and people will show if they know they are going to get fed...this would work very well with the college kids who are always up for a free meal

All great ideas. When you do random doubles design it where the new players will always play with a more seasoned player. Gives them a fighting chance at walking away with something.

Our club is starting a new league in the spring where the cost to play will be $4.00 and all the newer players will draw first for players then the seasoned players will draw...giving all the new players a chance to play with someone that they can hopefully learn from.

We're paying out discs only...no cash and will pay out 50% every night. Our goal is simply to attract new players to the club, league play and one day tournaments. We're also moving the league to what is becoming the most played course in the area.

The course where league has been held since 2005 is the most difficult course in the area and is not beginner friendly.

-stick with random doubles, it makes things more casual then with singles
-offer ctp's for small prizes, discs, or small amounts of cash
-ace pool (when an ace pool gets big, players flock weekly to try and hit it)
-buy, sell, trade days where players can bring there unwanted plastic
-disc golf clinics to help newer players improve
-group bulk disc orders (littleflyer has a great deal on bulk order over 25 discs)
-bbq after the round....a big pack of hotdogs and buns are inexpensive and people will show if they know they are going to get fed...this would work very well with the college kids who are always up for a free meal

Great idea's! I will have to keep these in mind for future references. Thanks!

Have cheap tournaments costing like 2.00 to play and 2-5 cans of food for donation. Call the local newspapers (they love covering sports and they love covering charity work). From this publicity, put an ad in the article for people to come out to your course and set up a clinic (with pros or players on your course who could successfully teach a large group how to play) where you gave away discs with an entry fee of like 5.00 per person or free if they have their own discs.

I am currently working on putting together a series of charity tournaments (one each month) in order to get a big draw for a weekend tournament I am looking to put together for late May. It's all about showing the community you are in some way giving back to them by having them come out and play.

Get the schools interested. See about forming local leagues (college down to grammar school). Ask about installing a basket on school grounds or a short 3 holer for schools with larger properties.

DGers need to stop making the news for car accidents and drugs or parents and schools will not let kids play. Adult behavior would be a good start tom attracting more players. But I like empty courses, so by all means please act like a bunch of messed up adolescents.

DGers need to stop making the news for car accidents and drugs or parents and schools will not let kids play. Adult behavior would be a good start tom attracting more players. But I like empty courses, so by all means please act like a bunch of messed up adolescents.

Hey man, it wasnt me they drove that SUV into Winny Golds lake this mornin' so BACK OFF mister!

Seems like the more people that there are playing, the more garbage that gets left at the course, and the more damage done to the courses. I was happier when less people played.