• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to figure out a course

Halbrust

Ultimate beginner question...

The courses I've seen have no tee pads, and have no signage. How do you know where to throw from? How do you know which basket is hole 1?

The easy solution would be, "go to a better course", but I acknowledge that's not always an option.

Do you have UDisc? Many courses have a user generated map with GPS built in to help you navigate, also if you look at course pages on this site they often have a map attached that is very helpful.

If you let the users here know the courses you are trying to play maybe someone local can help?

The courses I've seen have no tee pads, and have no signage. How do you know where to throw from? How do you know which basket is hole 1?

As Moose33 suggested, UDisc maps are a great option.

Otherwise, you can look up the course on DGCR, go to the "Links/Files" tab, and see if there is a course map.

Good luck!

based on your listed location of Highland, CA it appears that you're just in an unfortunate area where courses don't have tees or signs. Hammer of Thor DGC, University of Redlands DGC, Ford Park, and Moore Middle list no tees or signage but do have maps linked. Most courses have sufficient signage to indicate where you should throw.

The clubs that maintain the courses often have course maps on their websites, you might want to check out the clubs in your area

In addition to what's said above :
if the course you play gets regular traffic the tee areas will be worn down from others - sometimes the wear can be minimal but will still usually be visible. Use the maps here or on udisc to get in the general correct area, then look for worn in areas on the ground.

Similarly, when finishing a hole look at the ground around the basket for any footsteps or worn in paths that likely lead to the next Tee.

I might hang out, wait for some experienced players, that know the course, show up. If they don't, a course with no pads or signs is likely to get little to no play. Pick a basket an get to work. After tapping in, pick another basket. Have fun.

Unless it's brand new, most courses will usually have a map online. Either on the reviews here (check the tabs lining the top) or on Udisc app for smartphones.

Otherwise, if it's empty, just wing it. After playing several different ones, they become maybe not obvious, but easy enough to figure out.

Unless a course is brand new or gets almost no action, you can usually see a hint of a trail leading away from the basket towards the next tee area. The more courses you play the more you will get a feel for where to go.
If you can't find a definite tee area, just tee off from where ever you want. (of course you'll have to know where the basket is.) :doh:
Even if you've played 100's of courses you will still run into a course now and then that is impossible to follow.

To piggy back on the great advice above....

I've also had good luck using the pictures of the holes (if available) on here to help determine where I'm supposed to at least be looking for a tee or basket.

I've had a bit of luck finding YouTube videos, as well.

Ok. I feel like this is an area of expertise I am proficient in.

I am speaking generally (I don't necessarily know what is the norm in your area, but this is what I've found from my travels).

My first reaction was everybody above has covered it. Color me impressed - no sarcastic comments, very good helpful comments that don't repeat.

So my first piece of advice is read through the previous comments, they all seem to know what they're talking about. Next, I will try to come up with things that have helped me through the years that hasn't already been mentioned.

Study the basket. There might be something pointing to the next tee - tape on a spoke, an arrow hanging or sitting on top, or on the ground nearby is a paver or something.

Look for other navigational clues. A dot spray painted on a tree (faded from years in the elements that you can just barely see a trace of color). A wooden arrow/sign screwed to a tree (weathered from years of moss and elements). Flags in the ground (again, worn from years of exposure, a previously bright pink flag, might just be a piece of wire sticking out of the ground). Flagging tape tied around a branch/tree (a recurring theme, exposure might bleach the tape, or break it so that it's just pieces laying on the ground).

Social media. DGCR has a local guides function. With some facebook sleuthing or a post to the local page you can usually find someone to talk to or possibly guide you, or maybe the local scene is more active on disc golf scene, or udisc can get you in touch with a local. This is by far the easiest - I don't have to think, or reference a map, or whatever technology, I just follow hippy john around as he shows me how the course is intended to be played.

If there are tee signs, study them carefully. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the basket to realize the only navigation that existed was on the tee sign, it has an arrow pointing the way to the next tee.

Bring a dog. Specifically a dog in tune with disc golf. My dog Aspen (and previously Forest), he just knows (he follows his nose and follows the smell of previous discs, footprints, stale beer, bong water, and sweaty hippy), more often than not he drops his frisbee on the next tee pad before I even consider where to walk to next.

Study the landscape. As a course designer, where is the logical place to go from here... *shrugs* not usually very helpful and is more painful in the long run *daang, this would be a cool hole over here, why didn't they do this..*

Assuming no other locals to follow or talk to, I've had this happen a few times. In this case I put the bag back in the car, grab a putter and just enjoy a good hike and throw a bit in an attempt to learn the fairways. Take a few notes on the phone, etc, etc. I've also found walking a course backwards really helps with the mental mapping.

based on your listed location of Highland, CA it appears that you're just in an unfortunate area where courses don't have tees or signs. Hammer of Thor DGC, University of Redlands DGC, Ford Park, and Moore Middle list no tees or signage but do have maps linked. Most courses have sufficient signage to indicate where you should throw.

Hammer of Thor, Ford Park, University of Redlands, Moore Middle School, Oak View and Ralph M Lewis are all small 6 to 9 hole courses that are designed for kids or neighborhood usage. I checked the maps on UDisc and most of the layouts shown are different than the layouts I have played. If you choose to go to these small courses, simply make up your own tees and targets if you can't figure it out.

Find the area 18 hole courses and you should not have any problems with navigation. The 18 hole courses also provide more challenge and variety. However, most 18 hole courses in the IE are pay to play.

On courses like that, you have a unique opportunity to make improvements yourself. Find a good tee area, mark it with flags or cheap posts, improve signage as you please with hole numbers and diagrams, make it your own. This will inspire others to help you make improvements and before you know it, you have a club. The city might listen to a club and provide funds or resources.
Forget the app.....make it your own.

So are you saying some of these courses may be intentionally un marked as they are more neighborhood and kid friendly? Just crappy enough to keep more serious discers away but great for young uns and people local to that burb?

Haha that's what I read into it.

Sorry no other useful advice Martin got flagging tape.. That's how I mark mine. Love the dog idea.. If he'd stick with me haha.

A little online research into the starting point is super helpful, I've been at a couple where the parking lot was end of course, not the start. Damn confusing

On courses like that, you have a unique opportunity to make improvements yourself. Find a good tee area, mark it with flags or cheap posts, improve signage as you please with hole numbers and diagrams, make it your own. This will inspire others to help you make improvements and before you know it, you have a club. The city might listen to a club and provide funds or resources.
Forget the app.....make it your own.

...and get the courses pulled by cities and schools that want them as passive and under-developed as possible.

As one who has worked with the entities addressed in this case what you say, good-natured and well-intentioned as it may no doubt be, will not necessarily lead to the ends you suggest. Many have been there, done that. Hasn't worked.

As Suzette rightly says of our area, the IE has a number of good (a few very good) 18 hole courses that are available to all. Most are pay to play, moderately priced and home courses to good clubs and a lot of good players.